Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Egyptian resort hotel bans alcohol and creates women only floor.

Egyptian resort hotel bans alcohol and creates women only floor.

Old May 6th 2013, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Egyptian resort hotel bans alcohol and creates women only floor.

I get amused here about when the ‘science card’ can be played by redShark and Turoc and when they choose to go back into blind denial that religion tells them everything they need to know. It seems that if science proves, to any extent their point, then it’s a good thing, but when it doesn’t or when it asks a question that they’ve been brainwashed into not asking then science becomes meaningless.

Originally Posted by redShark
I may also add that the food intake regulations in Islam serve many purposes. The social and the physical health issue are just some of the reasons, there are also other reasons we are yet to discover.
What are the food intake regulations in Islam, and what purposes do they serve? Because of these are people who follow them healthier, do they live longer? Isn’t the indigenous population of the UAE on the verge of a health crisis due to obesity and diabetes because of the poor eating habits of the locals? How many locals can be found consuming alcohol in bars around the UAE every week? I thought the Quran said that you shouldn’t consume alcohol to the point of intoxication, not that you had to abstain from it altogether?

Science has already established a link between drinking abusive substances and our physical sense of judgment, that’s why pilots are not allowed to drink any alcohol within the 8 hours before their flights.
No one’s denying that drinking too much is bad for your health, but in moderation it isn’t. No one’s arguing that pilots should be 100% sober when they fly. Equally though I’d not be keen on getting on board a plane if a I knew the pilot had been fasting for the previous 12 hours.

Science are yet to establish a biological link between what we eat and our sense of moral judgments.
Morals are not a science though are they, so you’re gonna be waiting a while for that link to be established.
Old May 6th 2013, 10:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by B_Girl_Turco
Noone can interfere if you'r drinking or eating due to health reasons , but if you'r drinking for fun , you have no right for it , its disrespect to other people .
I find you and you're ignorance utterly disrespectful.

But that's my problem.

Just like me having a glass of wine with dinner is very clearly, your problem.
Old May 6th 2013, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Noone can interfere if you'r drinking or eating due to health reasons , but if you'r drinking for fun , you have no right for it , its disrespect to other people .
But isn’t the point of Ramadan to prove the strength of your faith by abstaining from the temptations around you. If those temptations are hidden or obscured doesn’t that devalue what you are setting out to do?
Old May 6th 2013, 10:16 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

In the summer here, I don't drink water for fun when its 50 degrees. I drink it to continue breathing. Unfortunately that can get you fined/arrested.

Where do you live, Luton?
Old May 6th 2013, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Red Sheep, this has no chance of getting anywhere with Sharky and Turco. It's rational, for one thing, and secondly it makes sense...
Old May 6th 2013, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Like completely going against mother nature during Ramadan, no water when it is 50 degrees outside, not eating during the day then binging when it gets dark.

I'm surprised natural selection has not had more of an impact.
Islam is supposed to be the last word in wisdom in dietary requirements (among other things) but it defacto advocates 1st cousin marriage since Muhammed married his 1st cousin.
Old May 6th 2013, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

B_Girl_Turco is just really niceB_Girl_Turco is just really niceB_Girl_Turco is just really niceB_Girl_Turco is just really niceB_Girl_Turco is just really niceB_Girl_Turco is just really niceB_Girl_Turco is just really niceB_Girl_Turco is just really nice

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
But isn’t the point of Ramadan to prove the strength of your faith by abstaining from the temptations around you. If those temptations are hidden or obscured doesn’t that devalue what you are setting out to do?
this does not change the fact that it's a disrespect to muslims .
Old May 6th 2013, 10:42 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Why is it? In Indonesia (very high muslim population) it is accepted.

But they're T O L E R A N T.

Something the Gulf Arabs are not.
Old May 6th 2013, 10:43 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Which means that non-muslims must follow rules set by muslims, for muslims. That's disrepectful to non-muslims.
Old May 6th 2013, 10:46 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Its your ****ing fast, not ours!! You are supposed to enjoy it and feel spiritual, not complain about the people that it means nothing too.
Old May 6th 2013, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

B_Girl_Turco is just really niceB_Girl_Turco is just really niceB_Girl_Turco is just really niceB_Girl_Turco is just really niceB_Girl_Turco is just really niceB_Girl_Turco is just really niceB_Girl_Turco is just really niceB_Girl_Turco is just really nice

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
In the summer here, I don't drink water for fun when its 50 degrees. I drink it to continue breathing. Unfortunately that can get you fined/arrested.

Where do you live, Luton?
ofcourse , you can drink , as I said , I'm living at a coastline and here is 40 degree , together humidity its 45 degrees felt . but still I'm fasting during the ramadan . I dont go out of the house , sometimes I feel bad and taking a break fasting , when I go out I dont drink water among the people , or I dont eat , relevant with respect .
Old May 6th 2013, 10:48 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Or is it more to do with the fact that most cannot be trusted not to go against the religion?? Ie cover the women up so it does not get the men all horny, do not eat in public during ramadan as you will all go running to the nearest KFC, do not go somewhere that sells alcohol etc etc.............
Old May 6th 2013, 10:56 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

ofcourse , you can drink , as I said , I'm living at a coastline and here is 40 degree , together humidity its 45 degrees felt . but still I'm fasting during the ramadan . I dont go out of the house , sometimes I feel bad and taking a break fasting , when I go out I dont drink water among the people , or I dont eat , relevant with respect .
Well its hotter/higher humidity than that here. Unfortunately a lot of us have to work so staying at home all day is not an option.

I really do pity your blinkered view on the world.
Old May 6th 2013, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Which means that non-muslims must follow rules set by muslims, for muslims. That's disrepectful to non-muslims.
This is not about your a christian or atheist or muslim , its about the rules of social morality . These rules may vary for each country. in islamic countries we set the many rules according to islam , even if sometimes mistakes are done .
Old May 6th 2013, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

It would be disrespectful if I sat in front of someone who’d been fasting all day and purposefully eat and drank. But, any non-muslim eating or drinking in a hotel or mall restaurant where they would not be seen be a muslim, unless they purposefully went there, is not disrespectful, and neither would it be to do so discreetly in a more open public area.

As a muslim don’t you find it disrespectful that non-muslims drink in the UAE? If so, would you rather that stopped and they (along with their skills and disposable income) stopped coming here, which many of them would? Or, as there is money to be made from allowing it are you happy to let that one slide?

Last edited by the_red_sheep; May 6th 2013 at 11:02 am. Reason: typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.