Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

East is East, West is West...

East is East, West is West...

Old May 7th 2013, 11:10 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default East is East, West is West...

Working again for a Far-Eastern contractor after a break of some 15 years, I realise I’d forgotten the degree of difference in two particular aspects.

First, the work ethic of individual employees. Life-time employment is still a realisable expectation for employees, and is a large part of the jigsaw that results in unquestioning loyalty and dedication. Personal pride and position are almost totally subjugated by efforts to improve the company’s performance and standing.

Second, a strict heirarchical structure, with orders and directions carried out without question or hesitation. It means that things get done quickly and with everyone pulling in the same direction.

Neat, especially for an outsider.
Old May 7th 2013, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: East is East, West is West...

They must hate you.
Old May 7th 2013, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Shame the quality of work of 'some' far eastern (China) is absolutely shocking. Don't get me wrong, the big boys from Korea and the like are quality.
Old May 7th 2013, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Good stuff, sounds like you're enjoying it.
Old May 7th 2013, 1:09 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
They must hate you.
They love me. They hate their lazy, lying subbies.
Old May 7th 2013, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
They love me. They hate their lazy, lying subbies.
Oh I bet they do.

At least they've got a good Contracts guy to make sure they don't just shake hands and think that's concrete
Old May 7th 2013, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

You in Morocco Bahtat ?

I might be visiting a couple of Korean sites there first week of June
Old May 8th 2013, 5:52 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Working again for a Far-Eastern contractor after a break of some 15 years, I realise I’d forgotten the degree of difference in two particular aspects.

First, the work ethic of individual employees. Life-time employment is still a realisable expectation for employees, and is a large part of the jigsaw that results in unquestioning loyalty and dedication. Personal pride and position are almost totally subjugated by efforts to improve the company’s performance and standing.

Second, a strict heirarchical structure, with orders and directions carried out without question or hesitation. It means that things get done quickly and with everyone pulling in the same direction.

Neat, especially for an outsider.
Tell you what, I was in Singapore last week - now they know how to run a city. The place runs like clockwork, people friendly and we got stuck in traffic for 15 mins and guess what? Not a single car horn was heard, not even once.

Lovely.