Early August escape

Old Jul 9th 2017, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early August escape

Originally Posted by Scamp
BKK is a dump.
Seriously?

You must have had newbie stamped all over you!

Banyan Tree ??? Odd choice and nice but, over rated, over hyped, over priced.

Bangkok is a big Asian city soooo, it's going to be a bit like, well, a big Asian city. And maybe at the superficial, I'm a tourist, do touristy stuff for me, you might easily get royally shafted.

But ready to turn off the western perceptions, suspend your disbelief for a while and get into the heart of the beast and you'll likely come away with one of two things, a serious medical condition or a damn great smile. Bangkok is one of very few places where both are a real possibility.

Okay I'm biased, it's been home for 20 years barring a year on Koh Samui and a year on Phuket but after a lifetime of traveling Thailand is really the one place I have truly felt at home and would happily spend my own money to get to. Indeed I do, on a regular basis taking a week or so off every 7 or 8 weeks to be at home with the family. Spending much more time at a stretch in this neck of the woods seems impossible.

The biggest problem with Thailand visits is they are generally far too short.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Rubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I wanted to post something rude and scathing about your unexpected return but I realised I can't. Welcome back, even if just for the moment
Haha and why can't u? Thanks, it would be so much easier as an app- or am I missing something?!
Old Jul 9th 2017, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, nothing. Just that you're such a nice person (in a fun way) that being nasty would be like being mean to kittens.

* I'm perfectly capable of being mean to little kids because the buggers generally deserve it, but there's never a reason for being mean to kittens.

Originally Posted by Rubydo
Haha and why can't u? Thanks, it would be so much easier as an app- or am I missing something?!
Old Jul 9th 2017, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Rubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, nothing. Just that you're such a nice person (in a fun way) that being nasty would be like being mean to kittens.

* I'm perfectly capable of being mean to little kids because the buggers generally deserve it, but there's never a reason for being mean to kittens.
Haha I can handle any banter it's all good- It takes a lot to offend me. But mean to kittens is harsh
Old Jul 9th 2017, 8:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Seriously?

You must have had newbie stamped all over you!

Banyan Tree ??? Odd choice and nice but, over rated, over hyped, over priced.

Bangkok is a big Asian city soooo, it's going to be a bit like, well, a big Asian city. And maybe at the superficial, I'm a tourist, do touristy stuff for me, you might easily get royally shafted.

But ready to turn off the western perceptions, suspend your disbelief for a while and get into the heart of the beast and you'll likely come away with one of two things, a serious medical condition or a damn great smile. Bangkok is one of very few places where both are a real possibility.

Okay I'm biased, it's been home for 20 years barring a year on Koh Samui and a year on Phuket but after a lifetime of traveling Thailand is really the one place I have truly felt at home and would happily spend my own money to get to. Indeed I do, on a regular basis taking a week or so off every 7 or 8 weeks to be at home with the family. Spending much more time at a stretch in this neck of the woods seems impossible.

The biggest problem with Thailand visits is they are generally far too short.
Being 6ft something and white, yeah, I definitely stuck out as a tourist........However, the problem wasn't me, the problem was Bangkok. Other Asian cities are fantastic and much better in my opinion, not having been to them all yet. I enjoyed parts and moments but I didn't enjoy Bangkok overall. Koh Samui was cool, Koh Phangan (sp) was even better in my eyes, not been to Phuket.

Banyan Tree was a slight regret from a location perspective, but a great bit of foresight that we'd enjoy somewhere pleasant to finish our holiday. You might think it's overpriced but it was good value, I got no hype or rating for it before I went so I enjoyed it, sorry(?)..... The first hotel next to the mall was a good location (can't remember it's name but was good) and where we went for drinks the first night (google tells me Thong Lor [?]) because that was good fun with some awesome bars.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
Being 6ft something and white, yeah, I definitely stuck out as a tourist........However, the problem wasn't me, the problem was Bangkok. Other Asian cities are fantastic and much better in my opinion, not having been to them all yet. I enjoyed parts and moments but I didn't enjoy Bangkok overall. Koh Samui was cool, Koh Phangan (sp) was even better in my eyes, not been to Phuket.

Banyan Tree was a slight regret from a location perspective, but a great bit of foresight that we'd enjoy somewhere pleasant to finish our holiday. You might think it's overpriced but it was good value, I got no hype or rating for it before I went so I enjoyed it, sorry(?)..... The first hotel next to the mall was a good location (can't remember it's name but was good) and where we went for drinks the first night (google tells me Thong Lor [?]) because that was good fun with some awesome bars.
I had a bad experience in Bangkok! Granted I was on the backpackers street but it's defo put me off Bangkok as a whole
Old Jul 9th 2017, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Do tell. Don't hold back.

I had a bad experience in Bangkok! Granted I was on the backpackers street but it's defo put me off Bangkok as a whole
Old Jul 9th 2017, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Do tell. Don't hold back.
It's really nothing funny but quite serious- basically the 4 of us me being the only female were beat up with wooden bats! Was a great start to a holiday- black eyes and swollen faces- joy
Old Jul 9th 2017, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder wher the Bangladeshi construction workers go for their holidays.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 8:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by scot47
The insipid wisdom of the ageing hypocrite.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

gotta admit i didn't rate BKK either......full of old fugly men with young thai girls/ladyboys young enough to be their kid....i was there for 3 or so days and was looking forward to getting out....have no desire to go there again...highlight of my time was going to that open roof top bar with the glass floor....the one that featured in the Hangover sequel.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mission
gotta admit i didn't rate BKK either......full of old fugly men with young thai girls/ladyboys young enough to be their kid....i was there for 3 or so days and was looking forward to getting out....have no desire to go there again...highlight of my time was going to that open roof top bar with the glass floor....the one that featured in the Hangover sequel.
Agreed
Old Jul 9th 2017, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
Try Pattaya
Old Jul 9th 2017, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47

Bangladesh
Old Jul 9th 2017, 9:41 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

It's really nothing funny but quite serious- basically the 4 of us me being the only female were beat up with wooden bats! Was a great start to a holiday- black eyes and swollen faces- joy
How did that happen? Were you able to get police involved?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.