Early August escape

Old Jul 6th 2017, 11:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Early August escape

Originally Posted by TheShed
Don't worry Mission, these are people who are actually GOING rather than planning. Nothing for you to see here
Old Jul 6th 2017, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Old Jul 6th 2017, 12:04 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Since the cost and time requirement of flying to Dubai via Muscat is now comparable to going further afield I've narrowed my early August escape from Dohell to the following:

1. Lebanon. Stay in hotel somewhere on Hamra. Swim at beaches somewhere. Eat lots of Lebanese food and chilled beers. Day trip to Baalbek. Will be hot but not as bad as Qatar.

2. BKK. Posh hotel with a nice pool. Eat lots of Thai grub. Do a food tour. Flight timing is very convenient but weather will be hot and humid.

Thoughts?
I'd definitely pick Lebanon though if you did pick BKK I'd recommend a day trip to the late medieval capital of Ayutthaya, about an hour away, though it it will be hot and sweaty and there are 30+ temples/sites to see; they're not walkable from each other so you'll need to book your car and driver for the whole day. Some of it is really cool though (with hidden passages inside old stupas and the like)...

In Lebanon, I don't think any of the Beirut beaches are Blue Flag quality if you know what I mean. Not sure I'd fancy swimming in them... Beirut itself is interesting, if you haven't been before, but a bit over-rated by hipster travellers I think and Hamra is bit meh. There is a pretty wild gay scene by all accounts, mainly on the East side (we were too old and dull to participate).

Baalbeck is truly amazing (and has the additional interesting twist of being Hezbollah central) but getting there for less than a king's ransom could be a challenge. I can't recommend what I did, which was to hire a car and drive yourself - while it's reasonably cheap and maximises flexibility, it's incredibly stressful and that was even though I had my Arab other-half to handle the frequent police and military checkpoints and random stops. Having said that, in a day trip to the Bekaa valley, with your own vehicle, as well as Baalbeck you could easily squeeze in a visit to a winery and the unique archaeological site of Anjar, the only extant purely Umayyad city, which is also quite beautiful (with two tone brickwork etc) and probably will be empty of tourists. A driver is likely to be essential but costly - unless you can charm a local into taking you around for "free"....

Another easy day trip is Byblos (J'beil) to the north, which is a lovely historical town with a magnificent crusader castle and lots of nice places to eat and drink. Though I guess it will probably be packed in August. The drive up the coast is nice-ish too and a lot less hazardous than the crazy drivers on the twisting road crossing the Chouf mountains.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, an useful post. Much appreciated. Lots of wankers in Lebanon but that's to be expected. I've been there ages ago but in the cooler months.

The Hezbollah connection is a bit off putting. But you survived!

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
I'd definitely pick Lebanon though if you did pick BKK I'd recommend a day trip to the late medieval capital of Ayutthaya, about an hour away, though it it will be hot and sweaty and there are 30+ temples/sites to see; they're not walkable from each other so you'll need to book your car and driver for the whole day. Some of it is really cool though (with hidden passages inside old stupas and the like)...

In Lebanon, I don't think any of the Beirut beaches are Blue Flag quality if you know what I mean. Not sure I'd fancy swimming in them... Beirut itself is interesting, if you haven't been before, but a bit over-rated by hipster travellers I think and Hamra is bit meh. There is a pretty wild gay scene by all accounts, mainly on the East side (we were zo old and dull to participate).

Baalbeck is truly amazing (and has the additional interesting twist of being Hezbollah central) but getting there for less than a king's ransom could be a challenge. I can't recommend what I did, which was to hire a car and drive yourself - while it's reasonably cheap and maximises flexibility, it's incredibly stressful and that was even though I had my Arab other-half to handle the frequent police and military checkpoints and random stops. Having said that, in a day trip to the Bekaa valley, with your own vehicle, as well as Baalbeck you could easily squeeze in a visit to a winery and the unique archaeological site of Anjar, the only extant purely Umayyad city, which is also quite beautiful (with two tone brickwork etc) and probably will be empty of tourists. A driver is likely to be essential but costly - unless you can charm a local into taking you around for "free"....

Another easy day trip is Byblos (J'beil) to the north, which is a lovely historical town with a magnificent crusader castle and lots of nice places to eat and drink. Though I guess it will probably be packed in August. The drive up the coast is nice-ish too and a lot less hazardous than the crazy drivers on the twisting road crossing the Chouf mountains.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 1:20 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, an useful post. Much appreciated. Lots of wankers in Lebanon but that's to be expected. I've been there ages ago but in the cooler months.

The Hezbollah connection is a bit off putting. But you survived!
The $5 Hezbollah t-shirt complete with pictogram of crossed AK47s, purchased from the hawker who didn't even wait until I got out of the car at Baalbeck, was my nephew's prized possession in uni until it disintegrated after about 5 washes (that's probably almost a year for a student). The Hezbollah thing is really just decorative: lots of posters of ayatollahs, Hassan Nasrallah and yellow and black banners. Ultra-camp in fact but they keep the streets safe! And all just a few km down the road from Lebanon's most celebrated wineries...
Old Jul 7th 2017, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

I'm told the food is crap.

According to the expat already been to 100 countries and plastered the walls of his villa in Jumeira 1 with the photos of smiling dark coloured kids with bright shiny white teeth to prove it, tells me western China is the place to go. Yunnan food
I would definitely recommend Yunnan, some fantastic limestone scenery with terraced rice paddies, I did 2 weeks there last year and just traveled around on a little 125cc motorbike staying in cheap hotels etc. Will be going back to do the same thing next year, does`nt feel like China in some ways more of a south east asia, as in rural Thailand, feel especially along the Vietnam, Laos border regions. Some parts are inundated with tourists, but if you pick your times right these only turn up by coach stay an hour and the bugger off.

And it is as cheap as chips!!
Old Jul 7th 2017, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

BKK is a dump.

Just hide in your Banyan Tree suite like we did.

Or, go somewhere else. Swim in the Med is appealing, at least it'll be fresh air.
Bit harsh Scamp, part of the fun of BKK is it being a bit of a shithole....breathing in the lovely aroma of sewage off the khlongs, mangy soi dogs, etc...there are some very pleasant little places away from all of this Lumpini park and watch the huge lizards that inhabit it (no not lady boys), The British Club for a taste of old colonial times....then get downright and nasty Patpong, Soi Cowboy and Nana...been going there since 1979, and my Dad has lived there for 50+ years
Old Jul 9th 2017, 4:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Bit harsh Scamp, part of the fun of BKK is it being a bit of a shithole....breathing in the lovely aroma of sewage off the khlongs, mangy soi dogs, etc...there are some very pleasant little places away from all of this Lumpini park and watch the huge lizards that inhabit it (no not lady boys), The British Club for a taste of old colonial times....then get downright and nasty Patpong, Soi Cowboy and Nana...been going there since 1979, and my Dad has lived there for 50+ years
Oh I'm sure lots of people love it.

Had a great night out in one area (I forget which) but when we got back to Bangkok I'd just had enough of the bullshit. Banyan Tree was lovely though and the first hotel was too, attached to Century Mall (I think). It's just the hassle and the grief and the bollocks attached to trying to do anything.

Every single person tries to fleece you. There's no other option but to bend over and get ****ed by every **** you meet. Got very boring at the end of two weeks and I won't cry about never going back.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Cyprus is cheap as chips at the moment?

Paphos is lovely.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Rubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond repute

Lebanon is overpriced, and full, sadly, of Lebanese people.[/QUOTE]

No shit- Lebanon has Lebanese people there?!
Old Jul 9th 2017, 7:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rubydo

No shit- Lebanon has Lebanese people there?!
She's back with a bang.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Rubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond repute

She's back with a bang.
hiya, I've been slacking
Old Jul 9th 2017, 7:40 am
Account Closed

hiya, I've been slacking
Welcome back.
It's been the usual here anyway. Arguing and me commenting on every thread. Nothing changes.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Welcome back.
It's been the usual here anyway. Arguing and me commenting on every thread. Nothing changes.

Thanks. Just thought I'd be nosey and make my day go faster
Old Jul 9th 2017, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to post something rude and scathing about your unexpected return but I realised I can't. Welcome back, even if just for the moment

Thanks. Just thought I'd be nosey and make my day go faster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.