Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dubai Metro in trouble already.....

Dubai Metro in trouble already.....

Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dubai Metro in trouble already.....

.... on only its second day......

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....709119783/1001

Passengers pressing the 'Emergency Stop' buttons...... "Hmmm, I wonder what this button does..."

And obviously, Emirates staff have been dragooned into saying nice things:

Petra Zvacova, a cabin crew member for Emirates Airline, said she spent an hour getting onto the Mall of the Emirates platform. It took her an hour and 15 minutes to get from the mall to the Financial Centre, a journey that should have taken 15 minutes. But, she added, “I really enjoyed it and would use it again.”
Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Metro in trouble already.....

We were just about to eat dinner and take the kids on it last night (along with some other people from our compound). Got a text from my girlfriend 10 minutes before we walked out the door saying they had turned up at the station and there were emergency vehicles everywhere and they were told it was closed for the night. My kids were actually relieved because they kept telling us they didn't want to go on it in case they died, because nothing in Dubai works properly. I think we'll leave it a couple of weeks to iron out the bugs.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:51 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm...not so unlike Heathrow Terminal 5 opening blues. Things will settle down...though, with so many nationalities here, I wonder about continued misuse of the emergency buttons on the trains.

Last edited by MacScot; Sep 12th 2009 at 7:58 am.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
Hmm...not so unlike Heathrow Terminal 5 opening blues. Things will settle down...though, with so many nationalities here, I wonder about continued misuse of the emergency buttons on the trains.
Yep. Shit, emergency, I forgot to buy a paper..
Old Sep 12th 2009, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Originally Posted by admon
Yep. Shit, emergency, I forgot to buy a paper..
ha ha - so dubai

We were going to give it a go last night too - but thank goodness decided against it - we were off to a dhow trip on the creek so we had to be there on time so didn't want to risk it - on saying that we couldn't get taxi either - so had to drive - no booze
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

I did laugh tho... in the Gulf News today - Serco not allowed to say anything, and referring people to RTA, and RTA not saying anything because no has scripted anything for them....

You can only outsource so much. Then someone actually has to take responsibility.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold

The RTA No way...........
They'll find somebody/one to lay the blame upon.

Let the poison barbs fly :-)
Old Sep 13th 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

tried it a couple of times from T3 to m.o.e. and back, it's good, but they have opened it early....More testing should have been done prior to opening to the public...but without the public, they cannot really identify what are the areas that need improvement. Clearly, there is congestion at the stations and at the moment the metro is nothing more than a novel transport...It will take time for people to learn to use it and for the operators to adjust/refine/redevelop aspects of people flow.

The issues should be resolved soon enough once design flaws have been rectified according to the flow of people that they are going to experience.

So don't expect a free-run down SZR, it will be a long time until a clear impact on the traffic situation is experienced.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
My kids were actually relieved because they kept telling us they didn't want to go on it in case they died, because nothing in Dubai works properly.
I feel sorry for your kids, living in such a delusional world. Maybe you should comfort them.