Dream holidays

Old Feb 21st 2018, 8:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Dream holidays

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Racist...
Classic.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
No one wants to see the pictures you took of a temple. There will always be better examples online taken by professionals with the right equipment, on the right day with the right lighting. I generally only take pictures of people, which I print out or put into books. The print-outs go in frames around the house and get changed regularly to keep it fresh.
Good point. We generally buy art / poster / something to hang from everywhere we visit. The only place we didn't was KL but the mrs took an unbelievable photo from the top of a building and in B+W it's a feature picture now.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
By train from London to Beijing, with a ticket that allows me to stop off anywhere that looks interesting, and explore for an hour, a day, a week...
That would be epic. I'd love to do something like that. Great idea.

Also - I liked Osaka a lot, very good fun.

I saw a video on YouTube of a family doing London to Hong Kong by train. Looked interesting. Not sure how long it took...I'm guessing a week or more. And Japan...having worked with Japanese companies a few times, it's at the top of my want-to-see list, especially when the cherry blossom is out.
I think there's a whole thread on Scamp's visit last year.
Search LittleJimmy, Bahtat is right - I got loads of ideas from people and might have even done a review / update from after the trip.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 8:43 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, will do.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 8:54 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
No one wants to see the pictures you took of a temple. There will always be better examples online taken by professionals with the right equipment, on the right day with the right lighting. I generally only take pictures of people, which I print out or put into books. The print-outs go in frames around the house and get changed regularly to keep it fresh.
I follow World Class Landscape Photographs on FB, and sometimes (well, usually) wonder why I bother try taking landscapes. But it does inspire me to take photos that are a) different, and b) remind me of how I was feeling around the time I shot them.

Generally anything with a friend or a family member in is a snap, no matter who took it. Unless you're Helmut Newton perhaps.

I have a couple of collages at home, of photos taken 30 years ago of friends and family, cut and crammed randomly into a big Clip-It frame. That works.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 8:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Cheers, will do.
Japan Thread
Old Feb 21st 2018, 9:15 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Even better.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be quite keen on photography (still am to an extent) and I'm pleased with the photographs I've taken and it does give you a satisfaction that buying the same picture from someone else doesn't give.

But I must say after quite a few trips I've found that being gung-ho about photographing can be a detriment to enjoying the trip. When you take photos, are you looking at the object, or are you taking a picture of it? There is a difference. And carrying the camera and tripod around all the time is a pain (literally and figuratively).

In the last few trips I rarely got out the camera and found that by not agonising over finding the best angle and viewpoint and capturing the right light at the right time and cursing people for getting in the way, I was having a more relaxing and enjoyable time. And that allowed me to embrace what I was seeing more than I had before. Someone once told me that photography does put a barrier between you and the object and I understand why. I still took photos but whittled down massively the amount of time devoted to photography.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 9:59 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I used to be quite keen on photography (still am to an extent) and I'm pleased with the photographs I've taken and it does give you a satisfaction that buying the same picture from someone else doesn't give.

But I must say after quite a few trips I've found that being gung-ho about photographing can be a detriment to enjoying the trip. When you take photos, are you looking at the object, or are you taking a picture of it? There is a difference. And carrying the camera and tripod around all the time is a pain (literally and figuratively).

In the last few trips I rarely got out the camera and found that by not agonising over finding the best angle and viewpoint and capturing the right light at the right time and cursing people for getting in the way, I was having a more relaxing and enjoyable time. And that allowed me to embrace what I was seeing more than I had before. Someone once told me that photography does put a barrier between you and the object and I understand why. I still took photos but whittled down massively the amount of time devoted to photography.
Difficult, if not impossible, to take more than snaps if you're there with family or friends when the primary objective is relaxation. 5 o'clock in a muddy field waiting for the sun to come up isn't most families' idea of relaxation.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 10:21 am
Excess Baggage

I've learned to separate travel snapping and real photography. I have a Panasonic TZ100 with me here which can be carried everywhere and gives decent results, and a Joby Gorillapod to use for stability whenever I see something worth taking a bit of time over and/or low light.

I was into it in a big way a couple of years ago, shooting with a full frame Nikon and getting shortlisted for Scottish Landscape Photographer of the Year, but then I moved away from my job in Scotland and just didn't get out enough to justify keeping all the expensive gear. Maybe I'll get the chance to get back into it some day, but there are so many people doing it now. You go to the Highlands and the Isle of Skye now and there are millions of people there trampling over everything, trying to get the shots. Victims of their own success, I guess. That's why Lewis and Harris are my favourite places. They're still relatively quiet thanks to the buffer of the ferry crossing.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 10:24 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Scamp
Awesome thread, by the way. I should be working... I was worried it was descending into the usual argument thread, but turned out well.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 10:32 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome thread, by the way. I should be working... I was worried it was descending into the usual argument thread, but turned out well.
Oh no it f*kng didn't you c*tng liberal remoaner snowflake.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 10:33 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Was lucky enough to stay at Al Maha (desert hotel in Dubai) some years ago. There was a group of eight Japanese tourists there at the same time. I don’t think thay actually ‘saw’ anything while they were there as they all spent their time with their eyes glued to the lenses of their camcorders. Likewise people these days with ‘selfies’. They’re not in the least bit interested in the object they’re photographing, only in how good they themselves look in front of it.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 10:37 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing

Never wanted to go to Africa.
Great, because I've been all over, I love it and will keep going back so it's a huge relief to know there is no chance of encountering you....
Old Feb 21st 2018, 10:39 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Great, because I've been all over, I love it and will keep going back so it's a huge relief to know there is no chance of encountering you....
You sound happy today.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 10:40 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Oh no it f*kng didn't you c*tng liberal remoaner snowflake.
Just as well. I was nearly in need of a safe space.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 10:43 am
...we killed the flame

You sound happy today.
Who f*kng asked you anyway?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.