Dinner

Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:17 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dinner

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Get yourself a slow cooker, bang in veggies and meat bit of water with an Oxo cube, switch on in the morning lovely meal waiting for you!!
Slow cookers are brilliant. Often use them at home if we're going to be out all day: 15 mins prep, and it's ready when we're back -- don't need to worry about an exact time, either.

Chicken and lemon tagine is a favourite, but the possibilities are huge.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Proof that this is all psychological as pork has no discernible smell, certainly not that could be distinguished from any other meat.

Do you like/eat beef bacon or veal bacon? If so, then you like the taste of bacon (or a pale imitation of bacon).
are you serious? the smell of bacon frying/roasting is very RANK for me. And nope i don't eat any form of beef or veal bacon or pepperoni or turkey bacon etc
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Hmm...mmm...pork....

It's fascinating how there are many Muslims who will do every possible haram thing but draw the line at eating pork. Which is so beloved by the rest of the world. Never quite figured that bit out.
It's psychological as they have been brought up to despise pork and pigs. As my bf puts it when I query him (as he is otherwise very much a foodie), would you eat dog? (Actually I would but that captures the mindset).
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Proof that this is all psychological as pork has no discernible smell, certainly not that could be distinguished from any other meat.

Do you like/eat beef bacon or veal bacon? If so, then you like the taste of bacon (or a pale imitation of bacon).
Amen.

It's conditioning to dislike something. A Jewish pal told me it's too close to human meat....but also that he hadn't tried human meat or pork.....
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:21 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
are you serious? the smell of bacon frying/roasting is a very RANK for me. And nope i don't eat any form beef or veal bacon or pepperoni or turkey bacon etc
The smell of bacon cooking is very distinct from that of pork (and one of the most delicious smells imaginable). But if you are talking about the smell from cooking it, how do you get that at Spinneys or wherever?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Slow cookers are brilliant. Often use them at home if we're going to be out all day: 15 mins prep, and it's ready when we're back -- don't need to worry about an exact time, either.

Chicken and lemon tagine is a favourite, but the possibilities are huge.
And you can use cheap cuts of meat, and they will be as tender as anything after 12 hours in one. Once you get used to it they are great, especially as you say prep time is minimal.!
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

The smell of bacon cooking is very distinct from that of pork (and one of the most delicious smells imaginable). But if you are talking about the smell from cooking it, how do you get that at Spinneys or wherever?
bacon, pork...it's all from the same frigging animal!
it's a very distinguished smell and if you can't smell it then clearly you are accustomed to it.....all the supermarkets which have the port session reek of the smell.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

are you serious? the smell of bacon frying/roasting is very RANK for me. And nope i don't eat any form of beef or veal bacon or pepperoni or turkey bacon etc
You do not eat meat at all????
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a fan of frying smells but frying pork is no different than frying chicken or beef. Fried chicken can easily have a greasy rank smell. True, bacon can be a bit strong if you let it burn but flavourwise pork is quite mild compared to, say lamb, which is much gamier than most pork products except ham.

MAT is correct. It's 1500 years of cultural tradition that is telling you to avoid pork. Which I still find odd because pork has traditionally been rarely available and pigs never seen in the Islamic world yet it was still so well known as haram. Funny to see how it was turned into a bogeyman, and I suspect it became one because it was easy to keep a product never seen and never tasted a haram one compared to other things that should have become haram, such as tobacco.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:27 am
...we killed the flame

it's a very distinguished smell and if you can't smell it then clearly you are accustomed to it.....all the supermarkets which have the port session reek of the smell.
Not buying that. Bacon cooking has a smell, yes for sure, but they don't cook it in the supermarket.

Raw meat all smells similar (except for fish) assuming its at a similar stage of putrefaction. Cured meat (regardless of the type) can smell sour or smoky depending on the type of cure but that has nothing to do with the meat itself.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:29 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I just wonder to what extent the conditioning to dislike / be averse to it stems purely from its being haram. There are surely fairly obvious reasons for its being so -- pork contains harmful bacteria that proliferate in heat, and so when Islam came about pork was rightly seen as dangerous.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
You do not eat meat at all????
i luv my chicken.......occasional beef (but only as a steak) and occasional lamb (but only in a curry).
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I just wonder to what extent the conditioning to dislike / be averse to it stems purely from its being haram. There are surely fairly obvious reasons for its being so -- pork contains harmful bacteria that proliferate in heat, and so when Islam came about pork was rightly seen as dangerous.
maybe i am mistaken here...but isn't pig meat the one only meat that goes off the quickest and as you said above is loaded with bacteria compared to other animal meat?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:35 am
...we killed the flame

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
MAT is correct. It's 1500 years of cultural tradition that is telling you to avoid pork. Which I still find odd because pork has traditionally been rarely available and pigs never seen in the Islamic world yet it was still so well known as haram. Funny to see how it was turned into a bogeyman, and I suspect it became one because it was easy to keep a product never seen and never tasted a haram one compared to other things that should have become haram, such as tobacco.
Pigs are susceptible to certain types of parasites to which they are particularly vulnerable in hot climates and which can transmit to humans in hot climates when the meat is not handled correctly. I can easily see how this could have got codified as religious tradition by religions that are based in this region. Christianity took hold in the Roman empire which had a tradition of safely handling pigs. In the meantime the Copts and other non-Muslims have bred pigs resistant to these problems over the centuries so even here it is no longer such a concern.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Not buying that. Bacon cooking has a smell, yes for sure, but they don't cook it in the supermarket.

Raw meat all smells similar (except for fish) assuming its at a similar stage of putrefaction. Cured meat (regardless of the type) can smell sour or smoky depending on the type of cure but that has nothing to do with the meat itself.
i have never been in the pork session of any of the supermarkets out here and so i don't know if they pre-cook any of the meat on offer...but i can tell you there is definitely a smell from something they are doing to the meat and it's this smell that is very distinctive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.