Dinner

Old Nov 14th 2017, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dinner

I've only had a kebab once in the UK.

Was out for the next week with food poisoning.

Something rather rank about kebab shops. Always look like greasy pits with suspect staff who look like they'd be quite happy to rob you and leave you half dead in a darkened alley on a darker than black coffee night if they could get away with it. And the smell! Takes away any appetite I have.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Nov 14th 2017 at 7:13 am.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I've only had a kebab once in the UK.

Was out for the next week with food poisoning.

Something rather thank about kebab shops. Always look like greasy pits with suspect staff who look like they'd be quite happy to rob you and leave you half dead in a darkened alley on a darker than black coffee night if they could get away with it. And the smell! Takes away any appetite I have.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack

When you've been sick it's hard to go back. Breeding grounds for bacteria.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 7:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I agree with that, but kebabs are fundamentally wonderful.

If a fine, delicious steak had made you as sick as one at the Meat Co here made me, would you have steak again?

I do, I eat steak all the time and that one I ate made me almost shit the bed. In fact, you could argue that I actually shit my pants whilst in bed so I did shit the bed. But I don't hold it against all steaks. It's not fair on the steak world to punish them all because of one bad fillet.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
I agree with that, but kebabs are fundamentally wonderful.

If a fine, delicious steak had made you as sick as one at the Meat Co here made me, would you have steak again?

I do, I eat steak all the time and that one I ate made me almost shit the bed. In fact, you could argue that I actually shit my pants whilst in bed so I did shit the bed. But I don't hold it against all steaks. It's not fair on the steak world to punish them all because of one bad fillet.
As with anything food related, it's psychological. It's a combination of the smell and the bacteria breeding ground meat turnstile and sight of raw meat barely cooked on the spit (including chicken) plus the frequency of people who have suffered food poisoning from eating kebabs AND the often grubby staff in the often grubby premises that keeps me away, even though I'm pragmatic enough to know millions enjoy kebabs daily and survive to tell the tale. Just not my thing.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Nah. Same thoughts as Scamp on this. Got food poisoning from some seafood years ago. Felt truly awful for a full week. Full on both ends. Love seafood tho, so put it down to just that, dodgy seafood. Kebab places have to adhere to the same hygiene standards as everyone else.

Certain booze on the other hand does leave a lasting impression. Took me years to be able to drink dark rum after overindulging once as a teenager..... and probably the only reason I persevered was because its something of a family drink so sometimes needs must rather than staying sober.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

So... what are the foods you cannot or will not eat?

Me:

Doner kebabs (already explained)
Bananas
Okra
Meat that is not: chicken, beef, lamb or pork
Fat from any meat
Peanut butter
Salad creme
Licorice flavoured anything
Anise / fennel

Not wild about and rarely ever but still can eat when obliged to:
Indian food
Spicy food in general with one or two rare exceptions
Potatoes that aren't chips or crisps
Aubergines
Green capiscums
Sweets
Macaroni and cheese

Do not / will not drink:
Ouzo
Anything Greek
Chardonnay
Irn bru (any soda that is not regular / diet coke)
Most apertif liquours. Sticky, nasty stuff
Vodka
Whisky

Just a short selection. What about yours?
Old Nov 14th 2017, 9:46 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Won't eat:
Double-fermented Korean soya soup (genuinely smells like vomit)
Aged/fermented Korean fish, about 20% ammonia
Clams (they induce panic-like symptoms)

Tolerate but not keen:
Chickens rectums

Won't drink:
Chinese high-alcohol spirit (tastes like I imagine rocket fuel tastes, I can still taste it 3 days later)
Non-diet fizzy drinks (except Tonic when there's no Diet Tonic available and the gin's beckoning)

That's about it. The list of loves is too long -- provided someone's put their heart into cooking it, I'll gladly eat it. Everything else is just fuel.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Me:

Doner kebabs (already explained)
Bananas
Okra
Meat that is not: chicken, beef, lamb or pork
Fat from any meat
Peanut butter
Salad creme
Licorice flavoured anything
Anise / fennel

Not wild about and rarely ever but still can eat when obliged to:
Indian food
Spicy food in general with one or two rare exceptions
Potatoes that aren't chips or crisps
Aubergines
Green capiscums
Sweets
Macaroni and cheese

Do not / will not drink:
Ouzo
Anything Greek
Chardonnay
Irn bru (any soda that is not regular / diet coke)
Most apertif liquours. Sticky, nasty stuff
Vodka
Whisky

Just a short selection. What about yours?
And I thought I was picky!

Me:

Most vegetables, although I'm trying (and failing)
Baked beans
Bananas
Aniseed anything
Marzipan
Sweet corn (whats the point?)
Coffee
Lard
Most Filipino food
Old Nov 14th 2017, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jam25mack
And I thought I was picky!

Me:

Most vegetables, although I'm trying (and failing)
Baked beans
Bananas
Aniseed anything
Marzipan
Sweet corn (whats the point?)
Coffee
Lard
Most Filipino food
You can add most of the above to my list, except vegetables and coffee.

As for Filipino food, this is the one legitimate area where it's safe to use without looking like an immature teenager.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 10:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Will not:
Shellfish
Tomatoes
Mushrooms
Tuna
Mash Potato
Non-white fish

Try not to:
Fish in general to be honest.
Boring veg (cauli etc)

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
-- provided someone's put their heart into cooking it, I'll gladly eat it.
That's a lovely sentiment. I'm going to use that. Next time someone cooks for me and has tried hard and prepared it carefully and done it out of the goodness of their heart I'll enjoy it even more.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Try not to eat pork or turkey or stews/casseroles (I think its the idea of cooked flour that puts me off!) - other than that I am very adventurous for food

I think my last meal would be a slab of medium ribeye (using butter) with blue cheese and proper chunky chips fried in goose fat (sod the obligatory salad !!)
Old Nov 14th 2017, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

All this talk of MEAT is making me feel quite nauseous. I do cook it for my OH but something deep in my psyche recoils somewhat and I don't know why!!!! During one of my pregnancies just walking past a butcher's window or whatever would have me gagging. There IS a smell to all meats & I suppose it can be offputting to sensitive souls who associate it with killing, chopping & eating what was once a live creature- there's always carrots
Old Nov 14th 2017, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Will not:
Shellfish
Tomatoes
Mushrooms
Tuna
Mash Potato
Non-white fish

Try not to:
Fish in general to be honest.
Boring veg (cauli etc)
Racist.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 11:31 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

I do, I eat steak all the time and that one I ate made me almost shit the bed. In fact, you could argue that I actually shit my pants whilst in bed so I did shit the bed.
And there, just when I thought we had gone full-on expatwomen.com, the usual suspect (and the one who led us down this dangerous path) pulls it back from the brink...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.