Desi London Mayor

Old May 9th 2016, 8:12 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desi London Mayor

I think this also shows UK is not ready for a none Christian Leader.
Old May 9th 2016, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
There have been many Jewish and probably many atheist leaders.
Old May 9th 2016, 8:33 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
Boris Johnson brought Sikh celebrations to City Hall (his wife is of Sikh descent). The sky didn't fall in!!

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-rele...tions-return-2

I agree though that those with anti-Muslim views will be ready to pounce. It is a pity that names can give an indication of religious origins otherwise people's religion would remain a private matter.
That's naïve in the extreme. He states on his own political website that he's Muslim. And go to many British towns and cities -- there are very many people who do not wish their religion to remain private.

Khan's website is good, and I fully applaud pretty-much all his aspirations and commitments. I hope he succeeds, and that his performance is judged on its merits and not pre-judged on his faith: to a large degree, that rests in his hands.
Old May 9th 2016, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Desi London Mayor

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That's naïve in the extreme. He states on his own political website that he's Muslim. And go to many British towns and cities -- there are very many people who do not wish their religion to remain private.

Khan's website is good, and I fully applaud pretty-much all his aspirations and commitments. I hope he succeeds, and that his performance is judged on its merits and not pre-judged on his faith: to a large degree, that rests in his hands.
I was speaking in general terms about names. Obviously yes, many people do like to advertise their religion whatever it is. Others don't.
He wanted Muslim votes!!

(Speaking of wives, Mr Khan's wife --I don't know her origins, a lawyer, she dresses in very modern Western style --and shock/horror they are seen walking hand in hand--a very un-Muslim action.)
Old May 9th 2016, 9:29 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
There have been many Jewish and probably many atheist leaders.
I am Atheist myself. Maybe i should of reworded it to "White"
Old May 9th 2016, 10:38 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
It looks like those of you picking on my typo/s , which by the way are not remotely cryptic , are the ones who are rather wound-up .

So I typed "democracy" instead of democrasy , and this is supposed to confuse readers
Wound up? Not in the slightest. You flatter yourself.

I was faintly amused as you were getting more and more defensive and wound up yourself.

I was toying with you, much as a cat toys with a mouse. This is just an internet forum after all...
Old May 9th 2016, 10:45 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I am Atheist myself. Maybe i should of reworded it to "White"
Only if you want to sound as if you'd like to join the KKK.

Seriously, who really cares about a person's family background, gender or religion provided they are a decent person and do a job well? Many of us have all kinds of mixed backgrounds and it's largely irrelevant if you have most other things in common.

All the comments I see just make it feel like the 70s all over again. Love Thy Neighbour anyone
Old May 9th 2016, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

Seriously, who really cares about a person's family background, gender or religion provided they are a decent person and do a job well? Many of us have all kinds of mixed backgrounds and it's largely irrelevant if you have most other things in common.

All the comments I see just make it feel like the 70s all over again. Love Thy Neighbour anyone
I want to live in your world.

In fact, I used to.

Then I did several projects in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Saudi and Egypt.

My eyes got opened and I got conditioned.
Old May 9th 2016, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

to those who have been banging on about how a Christian could never be elected in a muslim city....read on

"A CHRISTIAN COULD NEVER BE ELECTED MAYOR IN A MUSLIM CITY!"

Since Sadiq Khan's election as Mayor of London, many people seem to be suggesting that no Muslim city would ever be open-minded enough to elect a Christian as mayor.

So, in the interests of accuracy, and because FACTS ARE OUR FRIENDS, I present a list of some of the many Christians who have done just what Mr Khan has done - been elected to high office in Muslim countries where they are a religious minority:

* In 2005 Alees Salman became the first Christian and first woman to chair Bahrain's upper house of Parliament. Bahrain is 70% Muslim.

* Pakistan currently has a Christian minister of ports and shipping, Kamran Michael. Pakistan is 96.4% Muslim.

* The Turkish city of Mardin recently elected its first female Christian mayor, Februniye Akyol. Turkey is 96.5% Muslim.

* Boutros Boutros Ghali, a coptic Christian and former head of the UN, was Egypt's Foreign Minister for 14 years. Egypt is 90% Muslim.

* The capital of the world's most populous Muslim country, Indonesia, has a Christian governor, Basuki Tjahaya Purnama. Indonesia is 87.2% Muslim.

* Senegal had a Catholic president, Léopold Sédar Senghor, for 20 years. Senegal is 92% Muslim.

* Lebanon had a Christian president, Michel Suleiman, from 2008-2014. Lebanon is 54% Muslim.

* The mayor of Ramallah, the capital of Palestine, is Janet Mikhail, a Roman Catholic (thanks to Jason Faulkner for that one!).

*********** BONUS ROUND!!!! ***********

In Iran, five seats in parliament are reserved for recognised religious minorities - one for a Jew, two for Christians and two for Zoroastrians. That's right - Iran has to have a Jewish MP by law. They don't teach you THAT at Bigot School.

It is fantastic that London has resisted the tide of Islamophobia sweeping our culture to elect a mayor based on his policies and personal qualities, but let's not pretend that 'western' countries are the only places where religious minorities can be elected to office.

On the other hand, it would be irresponsible to suggest that no countries have restrictions on the religion of those who occupy public office. Some countries have laws explicitly stating that the Head of State must belong to one particular religion, a form of religious bigotry that is unacceptable in the 21st century.

One such country is Britain, where the law states that the monarch must be a Christian Protestant.
Old May 9th 2016, 10:51 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy

Someone's declared religious affiliation being seen as a problem says more about the person with the issue than the person with the faith.

You can believe anything you like if you don't force it on me. I'll may judge you for certain beliefs but I won't hate you or declare you unfit to take public office if you show that you are capable of performing the job. (David Ike level nuttiness notwithstanding.)

Sadly in the case of Khan, in certain parts of the press and the public, he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. You really do have to have a thick skin to want to go into politics.

(I really need to learn that multiple quoting thing.)
Old May 9th 2016, 10:53 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I want to live in your world.

In fact, I used to.

Then I did several projects in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Saudi and Egypt.

My eyes got opened and I got conditioned.

I did include a caveat. That is hugely relevant in certain places.

I am hugely cynical when it comes to religious affiliations but I do try very hard to stop it colouring my views of everything. Admittedly it is hard, especially as I would describe myself as a radical atheist.
Old May 9th 2016, 11:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

No its not, its stating fact.

A Christian Mayor would have a different agenda to a Muslim, if you believe otherwise then you are putting your head in the sand.

Anyway, i dislike the appointment because he is Labour not because he is Muslim.
You say it like one is better than the other though, even if it's true.

Nobody in their right mind should be going anywhere near Labour at the moment, but as Millhouse said, he's not very Labour-like so maybe that's a positive.
Old May 9th 2016, 12:02 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

You mean the UK that's full of bigoted hypocrites who play the "this is a Christian country!" card while not praying or reading the Bible and only ever seeing the inside of a church for weddings, christenings and funerals?

One of the things I like so much about the UK is that religion is generally in decline, at least among white Britons. I only know a handful of people who are actively religious Christians.

Last edited by Eeyore; May 9th 2016 at 12:04 pm.
Old May 9th 2016, 12:15 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Eeyore
You mean the UK that's full of bigoted hypocrites who play the "this is a Christian country!" card while not praying or reading the Bible and only ever seeing the inside of a church for weddings, christenings and funerals?

One of the things I like so much about the UK is that religion is generally in decline, at least among white Britons. I only know a handful of people who are actively religious Christians.
True and most Britains have no issue with someone not having any religious affiliation, or being a declared atheist. Most Britain's idea of religion is the rather woolly CofE which is about as laid back as you can get.

Compare and contrast with the US where you are even less likely to be voted into high office if you are an atheist then if you are black or female.

I know which I prefer.
Old May 9th 2016, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

Don't think the KKK is not very welcoming to Atheists!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.