Desi London Mayor

Old May 8th 2016, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Lightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desi London Mayor

Originally Posted by Meow
Are you questioning the UK election process? Of course it was a democratic election.

Funny how people who don't like the outcome try and question the process.
Yes I am.

I didn't say I didn't like the outcome, was only questioning the process.
Old May 8th 2016, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

some of you seriously crack me up...proper arm chair activists.....all of you took off from the UK to better yourselves and now you are throwing tantrums because London has a muslim mayor.....talk about hypocrisy in the truest sense of the word.
Old May 8th 2016, 12:03 pm
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
some of you seriously crack me up...proper arm chair activists.....all of you took off from the UK to better yourselves and now you are throwing tantrums because London has a muslim mayor.....talk about hypocrisy in the truest sense of the word.
Correct and incorrect.

Maybe we left UK because we don't like what it has become?
Old May 8th 2016, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see any of the local Arab countries elect a Christian or Jew to a prominent position

One thing I've learned from living outside the UK is that most of the non-Western world operates on very different value sets that affects their politics, meaning it's one rule for the UK but a different rule elsewhere. We're chastised if we worry about the potential (whether real or imagined) implications of a Muslim mayor of London yet no one ever complains about the lack of non-Muslim leadership in the Middle East. Except Israel, of course, and see how contentious that is!

Old May 8th 2016, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

auh123 has a brilliant futureauh123 has a brilliant futureauh123 has a brilliant futureauh123 has a brilliant futureauh123 has a brilliant futureauh123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iggle
Correct and incorrect.

Didn't like it so went somewhere where there was more of it. Makes sense.
Old May 8th 2016, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Let's see any of the local Arab countries elect a Christian or Jew to a prominent position

One thing I've learned from living outside the UK is that most of the non-Western world operates on very different value sets that affects their politics, meaning it's one rule for the UK but a different rule elsewhere. We're chastised if we worry about the potential (whether real or imagined) implications of a Muslim mayor of London yet no one ever complains about the lack of non-Muslim leadership in the Middle East. Except Israel, of course, and see how contentious that is!
Couldn't resist. The Eastern country with the world's second largest population and a high Muslim population.
The opposition party (that ruled for years) has an Italian origin leader.

(Don't worry I won't say anything else--I agree with Meow)
Old May 8th 2016, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

What does India have to do with the Middle East?

Would said woman have been elected had she not married into a certain dynasty? See - different value sets.

Originally Posted by Bipat
Couldn't resist. The Eastern country with the world's second largest population and a high Muslim population.

Old May 8th 2016, 12:36 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Quite.

There is a heap of irony in a bunch of expats complaining about "foreigners" taking over their country. (Yes, Norm temporary v citizens but still a valid point.)
Old May 8th 2016, 12:38 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
Correct and incorrect.

You don't like there being lots of Muslims so you move to the UAE?
Old May 8th 2016, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH

My issue is not with the religion or original origin of the winning candidate, my issue is with this was a fair vote for the man and woman in the street.

Democracy shouldn't mean voting for the least worst option.

Teresa Jowell was the clear choice amongst Labour party members in the initial vote to represent the Labour party in the 2016 mayoral election.

That did not fit the agenda and she was promoted/pushed into the house of lords to back away.

Leaving Khan as a sure nomination, so who did the Consevatives put up against him?

Zac Goldsmith. Who had absolutely no interest in being mayor, had very tepid support from his party and pretty much did everything he could to antagonize the man in the street, of whichever creed.

This is the Goldsmith of a very significant family influential on British and European politics for a century or more. Through inheritance he is conservatively estimated to be worth £400 million.

Then he goes and marries a Rothschild heiress, making the couple not only worth a billion plus but from two of the biggest decision making behind the scenes families the west has ever known.

Oh and both families through their various guises are investing/influencing/manipulating heavily in Pakistan and its neighbours at present.

Never wanted to win, made sure he didn't

Hence my original point. Democracy is not democracy if their is only one choice.

Oh and Goldsmith's sister is Jemima Khan, married to Imran Khan. Massively influential in what soon will be the west's preferred choice of government in Pakistan.
Old May 8th 2016, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat

The Muslim population is still a minority in India. Sonia Ghandi while being of Italian descent married into the prominent Ghandi family and is Indianized.

There isn't an Italian Indian community in India that Sonia belongs to and identifies with ; Sonia is Indianized and fully assimilated into a particular Indian community. So her example is absolutely nothing like that of Sadiq.
Old May 8th 2016, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Are you questioning the UK election process? Of course it was a democratic election.

Funny how people who don't like the outcome try and question the process.
It was democratc but a democratic process isn't necessarily good, because pure democracy can lead to bullying of minorities and introduction of anti human rights laws. Egypt democratically elected Mohammed Mursi who then embarked on an Islamist agenda that sought to marginalize non Islamists. Then Mursi got overthrown by the dictator El Sisi who did have substantial popular support at the start but embarked on his own authoritarian agenda.
Old May 8th 2016, 2:03 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Temporary vs citizens is a very, very valid point as well. And I am not aware of anyone saying 'foreigners' are taking over either. We don't need to say that when my hometown has the native English as an ethnic minority now and London is about 50% foreign born. They may not 'take over' but there is an identifiable effort to replace/supplant/surpass the indigenous people and little effort to assimilate people into their culture...

Many in these forums marry foreigners, travel the world and generally are quite a bit more understanding of foreign people and culture than those back in the UK.

If someone is saying no foreigners should even visit for any reason they would hypocritical of course. But who's said that or anything close?

N.
Have you not seen any of those ghastly British First posts? Plenty of claims of the country being over run.

Anyway...

Old May 8th 2016, 2:06 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
It was democratc but a democratic process isn't necessarily good, because pure democracy can lead to bullying of minorities and introduction of anti human rights laws. Egypt democratically elected Mohammed Mursi who then embarked on an Islamist agenda that sought to marginalize non Islamists. Then Mursi got overthrown by the dictator El Sisi who did have substantial popular support at the start but embarked on his own authoritarian agenda.
Hang on, are you suggesting there is a better option than democracy?

No system is perfect, but I don't think anyone can suggest that the UK system is intrinsically bad. Heaven knows the selection process is not ideal but what's the alternative? Too few people seem to be sufficiently interested in actually changing anything as persistent election turnouts demonstrate.

Maybe people get the politicians and government they deserve...
Old May 8th 2016, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Wow, why do you even wear out your keyboard with crap like that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.