Depressing weather.!

Old Mar 2nd 2017, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Depressing weather.!

Cloud seeding is making a lot of money for a few snake oil salesman.

I've seen studies saying it can work and just as many saying there's no evidence at all that it increases or promotes any rainfall. Personally I'm pretty skeptical.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
other parts of the Gulf have also been getting rainfall. don't think they are saying it is down to cloud seeding
The thing is with cloud seeding, its not very exact. You can seed a cloud and then the wind direction or the pressure changes and the clouds rise and so the condensation nuclei that have been introduced into the cloud don't promote rain at that location. The cloud then travels and can dump its load elsewhere.

When I worked in a ski resort in Colorado in 2001 our resort (and several others) were seeding clouds. Annoyingly for us, several times we seeded clouds and the wind changed and the cloud ended up dumping all its snow on our neighbouring (competing) resort....

As for it being a con, I'm not convinced. It's a pretty basic concept. Basically all they are doing is introducing condensation nuclei into the clouds. The idea is that the nuclei (fine particles) give something for the water vapour to attach to. As more attaches these grow (if the conditions are right) until they are too large and so they fall to earth. If the conditions aren't right it doesn't work. It does work, however the conditions need to be right. Its not like you can make it rain anytime, however, you can increase the chance of precipitation at a certain time and location.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
The thing is with cloud seeding, its not very exact. You can seed a cloud and then the wind direction or the pressure changes and the clouds rise and so the condensation nuclei that have been introduced into the cloud don't promote rain at that location. The cloud then travels and can dump its load elsewhere.

When I worked in a ski resort in Colorado in 2001 our resort (and several others) were seeding clouds. Annoyingly for us, several times we seeded clouds and the wind changed and the cloud ended up dumping all its snow on our neighbouring (competing) resort....

As for it being a con, I'm not convinced. It's a pretty basic concept. Basically all they are doing is introducing condensation nuclei into the clouds. The idea is that the nuclei (fine particles) give something for the water vapour to attach to. As more attaches these grow (if the conditions are right) until they are too large and so they fall to earth. If the conditions aren't right it doesn't work. It does work, however the conditions need to be right. Its not like you can make it rain anytime, however, you can increase the chance of precipitation at a certain time and location.
JAM I think you are my new online crush
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:26 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
how old is that tune??
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 9:56 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

how old is that tune??
Early '80s I guess? Anyone help? Google probably would...

A forgotten classic (love the manic psycho emphasis on "HIM").

Last edited by Miss Ann Thrope; Mar 2nd 2017 at 10:09 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Ha ha, awesome!

His whole outfit tho is let down by the fact he isn't wearing a belt. Seriously, that's the worst look ever!
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

that doesn't really explain the frequent occasions where a weather system has dropped precipitation on other parts of the gulf first before then hitting the UAE. Cloud seeding claims were still made
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
that doesn't really explain the frequent occasions where a weather system has dropped precipitation on other parts of the gulf first before then hitting the UAE. Cloud seeding claims were still made
It wasn't meant to..... but if you're looking for that, then all I can say is its the same as everywhere else in the world.... the weather! Basically its how the local weather system interacts with the neighbouring weather systems plus any impact that local topographical features may have..... If predicting the weather was as simple as you are making out then anyone could do it to a high degree of accuracy every time. This is not the case. There are a massive amount of factors which affect the local weather to a greater and lesser degree from the interaction of local weather systems, topography, albedo, coriolis, Milankovitch (to a lesser extent), suspended particulates, human intervention, natural intervention (volcanoes, earth quakes etc), magnetism..... etc etc...

I'm not sure if its still the case but for many years the most powerful computers in the world were weather predicting computers....
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 12:38 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha, awesome!

His whole outfit tho is let down by the fact he isn't wearing a belt. Seriously, that's the worst look ever!
Worst look ever? That's even far from the worst look in the 80's!
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 1:08 pm
...we killed the flame

Originally Posted by Meow
I had that suit
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Meow
Point taken, however, how anyone can wear trousers with belt loops and not have a belt is beyond me.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 5:10 pm
...we killed the flame

Point taken, however, how anyone can wear trousers with belt loops and not have a belt is beyond me.
So much to learn about the ways of our past icons.....
Old Mar 5th 2017, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

So much to learn about the ways of our past icons.....
I'd rather not learn if that's their best efforts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.