Deja Vu...

Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:20 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Deja Vu...

...and such things. Picking up on Shiva's recent comment regarding the bollocks that fortune tellers spout, and although I'm highly sceptical, science does suggest that time isn't necessarily linear, and knowing what will happen in the future is possible, and that all events everywhere are connected (Einstein couldn't get his head round that bit, but he believed in the connection).

I've had one intense experience of deja vu. Anyone else? (Hang on, I know what one of you is going to say...)

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Sep 10th 2012 at 12:21 pm. Reason: a bit of punctuation helps sometimes
Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:26 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deja Vu...

supposedly one explanation is a minute time difference between the left and right side of the brain cognitive processes which gives the illusion that you've seen this before, albeit a fraction of a millisecond before but the brain then interprets this difference as a feeling of deja vu...
Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:27 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
...and such things. Picking up on Shiva's recent comment regarding the bollocks that fortune tellers spout, and although I'm highly sceptical, science does suggest that time isn't necessarily linear, and knowing what will happen in the future is possible, and that all events everywhere are connected (Einstein couldn't get his head round that bit, but he believed in the connection).

I've had one intense experience of deja vu. Anyone else? (Hang on, I know what one of you is going to say...)
I have it quite often. I believe the current thinking on this is that as both electrical and chemical transmitters in your body are capable of carry signals (i.e. memories), it's simply the same memory being carried by both, with the electrical signal arriving before the chemical one (which travels slower). Hence you feel like you've been there before. Simply because technically you have.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:34 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't I answer this last week
Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there a theory that the we, consciously and sub-consciously, spend a huge amount of time replaying events from our lives and creating alternative scenarios within them - like when you come up with a smart arsed response 30mins to late. These imagined scenarios, can then become confused overtime with actual memories. So, deja vu can is triggered when an association is made between an actually or imagined memory which is similar top the a current event/place.

Likewise when people say they life flashes before there eyes when the are having near death experience, it is actually the brain running through events or experiences which are similar to the current one they are faced with as it tries to find a suitable response and action.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
Isn't there a theory that we, consciously and sub-consciously, spend a huge amount of time replaying events from our lives and creating alternative scenarios within them - like when you come up with a smart arsed response 30mins too late. These imagined scenarios can then become confused over time with actual memories. So, deja vu can be triggered when an association is made between an actual or imagined memory, which is similar to the current event/place.
Likewise, when people say their life flashes before their eyes when they are having a near death experience, it is actually the brain running through events or experiences, which are similar to the current one they are faced with, as it tries to find a suitable response and action.
Very well explained, albeit subject to some typos duly rectified on your behalf.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:13 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Very well explained, albeit subject to some typos duly rectified on your behalf.
I knew you'd do that.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:18 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe in psychic, but some people are more perceptive than others. If you are used to listening and watching people, you can pick up an awful lot of information without being told. It's empathy; something that most people have in fairly short supply.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 2:44 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I don't believe in psychic, but some people are more perceptive than others. If you are used to listening and watching people, you can pick up an awful lot of information without being told. It's empathy; something that most people have in fairly short supply.
exactly reading someone, emphasizing, building rapport etc are all real and very ****ing far from magic.

re deja vu, technically everything we see, hear, do, and experience is in fact an experience of the recent past and more importantly a recent past that our brains have largely created for us. given this and the fact that everything we see and touch is 99.99% empty space its a ****ing miracle our brains dont explode
Old Sep 10th 2012, 2:51 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer Deja Moo. I usually suffer it around bosses and politicians.

The feeling that you've heard this BS before...
Old Sep 10th 2012, 2:52 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
exactly reading someone, emphasizing, building rapport etc are all real and very ****ing far from magic.

re deja vu, technically everything we see, hear, do, and experience is in fact an experience of the recent past and more importantly a recent past that our brains have largely created for us. given this and the fact that everything we see and touch is 99.99% empty space its a ****ing miracle our brains dont explode
I was going to post that Scanners gif again...
Old Sep 10th 2012, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I've had some. A side of me thinks for a second that I must have died and then rebooted into a new body but then reason takes over and I just out it down to coincidence emanating from the fact that statistically one is bound to relive certain expereinces when you consider how many years a person lives and how many hours we spend awake.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:52 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
supposedly one explanation is a minute time difference between the left and right side of the brain cognitive processes which gives the illusion that you've seen this before, albeit a fraction of a millisecond before but the brain then interprets this difference as a feeling of deja vu...
Hmm I had it the other day.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:53 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
The other day.