Dash for the Border

Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:15 am
Just Joined

DangerousBro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dash for the Border

Hello - Quick queston. We need to do a border run to Oman from UAE this weekend. I am told this is the quickest way to extend for another 30days while my families residents visa is pending. It also gives them a new date which post dates the application for residence, apparently this means we avoid some rather large fines.

Problem is I approached Diamondlease who I am renting my car from and they said NO!, I am not allowed to drive across the border even if it is only just to turn around again and come back.

Thrifty will do it it but I will pay through the nose for the day - nearly 500AED, plus as I already have a car so it seems superfluous to rent another for a day trip.

I am tempting with the idea of just driving up, parking the car, then walking across and back. Before I subject myself to a 4hr round trip from Abu Dhabi with screaming kids I just wanted to float the idea out to people to find out if it is feasible, or are they really not set up for pedestrians.

Also if anyone has similar recent experince I would love to know as i know immigation rules are dynamic here, is this still common practice?

Cheers

Matt
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dash for the Border

Hire another car for a day trip. From another company who allows the Oman run.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Cheers, I had a feeling that would be the response Nothing here seems to be set up so easily for pedestrians lol
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Hire another car for a day trip. From another company who allows the Oman run.
Depending where you go, if Hatta - you can't nip across the border. It's a few km from the Dubai check point to the Oman checkpoint.

I'd just not tell them I was doing it.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:50 am
Just Joined

One more question though, so far the only advice I have seen is based around being done in Hatta, which seems to be the run from Dubai.

Is Al Ain suitable for Abu dhabi or is it best to go to Hatta?

Regards
Matt
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Oh, and the fee is 200dhs per person for the stamp.

When you get into the border building, fill out the blue form, then queue up, tell them you're going straight back to Dubai and you get entry + exit straight away. Then you're told to turn your car around and disappear.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DangerousBro
One more question though, so far the only advice I have seen is based around being done in Hatta, which seems to be the run from Dubai.

Is Al Ain suitable for Abu dhabi or is it best to go to Hatta?

Regards
Matt

It's all good motorway from AD to AA/Oman border.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp

I'd just not tell them I was doing it.

That's fine until some idiot slams into the back of you.....ooops here comes jail
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:55 am
Account Closed

That's fine until some idiot slams into the back of you.....ooops here comes jail
Between the Dubai border and Oman border and back?

pretty unlikely.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
Between the Dubai border and Oman border and back?

pretty unlikely.

Granted....until that half blind shepherd in his clapped out Hi-Lux with no brakes takes a turn
Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:09 am
Account Closed

Granted....until that half blind shepherd in his clapped out Hi-Lux with no brakes takes a turn

Yeah. After posting I sat and thought, I don't know what I'd do. 500dhs is enough to make you not want to pay, but not too much to just think - fudge it, I'll be safe.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Make a weekend of it and go on a safari to Musandam.

One of the problems with the hire car will be insurance - you are quite likely to be stopped for an insurance producer on that run and that is where you will come unstuck.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:28 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello - Quick queston. We need to do a border run to Oman from UAE this weekend. I am told this is the quickest way to extend for another 30days while my families residents visa is pending. It also gives them a new date which post dates the application for residence, apparently this means we avoid some rather large fines.

Problem is I approached Diamondlease who I am renting my car from and they said NO!, I am not allowed to drive across the border even if it is only just to turn around again and come back.

Thrifty will do it it but I will pay through the nose for the day - nearly 500AED, plus as I already have a car so it seems superfluous to rent another for a day trip.

I am tempting with the idea of just driving up, parking the car, then walking across and back. Before I subject myself to a 4hr round trip from Abu Dhabi with screaming kids I just wanted to float the idea out to people to find out if it is feasible, or are they really not set up for pedestrians.

Also if anyone has similar recent experince I would love to know as i know immigation rules are dynamic here, is this still common practice?

Cheers

Matt
You don't go over the border kidda, turn up, get stamp and come back - you don't actually enter Oman.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:29 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Matt
You could always get some cheap flights somewhere and get a stamp on the way back in.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Well I am AD based so AA sounds like the best bet, Thrifty will rent me a car fully insured for Oman which seems like the best option after all.

Any advice on the process. It seems that the Hatta trip is complicated by the fact that you collect your exit stamp in a different location to you re-entry.

Anyone tried this in AA before?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.