Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The cruelly short-lived James Bond channel on OSN

The cruelly short-lived James Bond channel on OSN

Old Feb 5th 2017, 1:21 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute
Default The cruelly short-lived James Bond channel on OSN

Ok, so I moaned in another thread about there not being a thread on this topic. So I am doing something about it (largely because I'm stuck in the office waiting to go to something else later).

Anyway, I was a bit surprised how much I enjoyed having a 24 hour Bond movie channel for a couple of months and even more surprised how much I miss it now it's gone. For those who don't know, OSN had a Bond channel which was supposed to run for a couple of months (I'm sure there was some "7" significance:: 77 days or the like) and which they extended for a bit but then stopped in early January. It came along with a lot of advertising for a James Bond exhibition with props and stuff from the movies which is running somewhere in an Emaar shopping centre I think.

There are only a couple of dozen movies but interspersed with a few documentaries and well-made puff pieces, the Bond channel became a reliable go-to for any evening with nothing better to do. Having been mildly keen on Bond movies previously, I slowly turned into a bit of a
obsessive though I could never have managed

I didn't realise how many Bond movies I hadn't previously seen and how many I would enjoy. I'm irritated that there are bits of some of the movies that I've missed and assumed blithely that I would get to see later and ran out of time. So, a few observations:
- No Bond movie is good all the way through, though most pick up at the end after losing it for a while, except Spectre;
- There is at least one absolutely cracking scene in every Bond movie;
- On her Majesty's Secret Service is one of the best and weirdest Bond movies ever;
- the Bond movies with the best opening sequences (Spy who Loved Me, Skyfall, Die Another Day) tend to be a bit of a let-down with the possible exception of The Living Daylights;
- Oddjob, I would though ;
- while I can take Bond with a Scottish accent and (just about) with an Irish accent, it's just NO to a Welsh accent; don't know why, it just is.

Craig, Connery > Moore >> Brosnan, Dalton (chin bum and Welsh accent)

There, I fully expect to get zero responses to this topic but felt I had to give my moneypenny's worth. (See what I did there?).

And yes, I am the most unlikely Bond obsessive you could imagine.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The cruelly short-lived James Bond channel on OSN

Caugh most of them this time round on that channel. They were/are also available on OSN On Demand, it mentioned last chance when I checked yesterday so will be gone soon. Think it was to tie into a Bond exhibition they were having here in the UAE? Was the first time I had seen on her majesties secret service - I gave up on it about 30mins in. Very weird movie!
Old Feb 6th 2017, 3:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

That first Partridge video.

I love lots of the old Bonds and Brosnan was my childhood bond and I think GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World Is Not Enough and Die Another Day are absolute classics in the very literal, basic sense that they are cheesy action, one liners, gadgets etc.

Craig has been awesome though. The films have taken new depth and glamour and are very good films individually - apart from Quantum of Solace which was just awful.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope

What about the other fella (see what I did there?)......
Old Feb 6th 2017, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Live and Let Die, the BEST Bond movie EVER.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 7:25 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
What about the other fella (see what I did there?)......
Ha yes, well done! Technically, of course, the "other fella" was Connery. But taking your well-made point, I guess I would put Lazenby with Brosnan and bum-face: bits worked but in the end he was just too much of a Larrikin to be Bond. And half his dialogue was dubbed!!!
Old Feb 6th 2017, 7:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There, I fully expect to get zero responses to this topic but felt I had to give my moneypenny's worth. (See what I did there?).

My ears were burning. I'm a bit of a fan myself. Craig has been excellent. Dalton was just odd. Not as odd as Lazenby though.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 7:58 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Craig > Connery, Brosnan > Moore > the rest.

Brosnan has the most un-Irish of accents imo, actually I don't know if I have ever seen him playing an Irish role.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 8:42 am
...we killed the flame

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Craig > Connery, Brosnan > Moore > the rest.

Brosnan has the most un-Irish of accents imo, actually I don't know if I have ever seen him playing an Irish role.
I'd say he went to Kings Hos
Old Feb 6th 2017, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I quite like Brosnan.

Craig has been a stand out for me though.

What are all your thoughts about the next bond?

Loads of chat about Idris Elba..... not sure i'm convinced. I just don't think he's smooth enough.... Similar chat with Tom Hardy who's been talking himself up. May as well have Danny 'Geezer' Dyer....

I think we should get someone out of left field and let them grow with the role. I know Craig was in Layer Cake (which is a massively under rated film) but he wasn't that well known.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 12:17 pm
...we killed the flame

I quite like Brosnan.

Craig has been a stand out for me though.

What are all your thoughts about the next bond?

Loads of chat about Idris Elba..... not sure i'm convinced. I just don't think he's smooth enough.... Similar chat with Tom Hardy who's been talking himself up. May as well have Danny 'Geezer' Dyer....

I think we should get someone out of left field and let them grow with the role. I know Craig was in Layer Cake (which is a massively under rated film) but he wasn't that well known.
I agree with all of that!!

I think Colin Salmon in his prime would have made an excellent Bond, suave and tough, but he's way too old now (as is Idris anyway). I liked Craig but maybe he went a bit far in being just hard and cynical without enough balancing humour and cool. I'd be happy for him to continue but the problem is with that stupid overly-self-referential plot of Spectre: they need to completely start over. There was no need to make the Blofeld character be behind everything that had happened in the previous movies and given it was all played so po-faced with no pussy-stroking piranha-munching antics, there's no way back... Only a reboot will do.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Fassbender is the bookies favourite at 5/2
Tom Hardy 3/1
Aidan Turner 4/1
James Norton 7/1
Hiddleston 8/1
Idris Elba 10's
Bradley Cooper 25's
Old Feb 6th 2017, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
Fassbender is the bookies favourite at 5/2 Too ginger
Tom Hardy 3/1
Aidan Turner 4/1 Too Mediterranean looking
James Norton 7/1 Possibly, a bit ginger tho
Hiddleston 8/1 Too ginger / weak looking
Idris Elba 10's
Bradley Cooper 25's
Don't know half of these (which is good). Comments in red.

How about Hugh Jackman...?

Dunno, who I'd pick. Going to have to think about this.....
Old Feb 7th 2017, 3:52 am
Account Closed

Don't know half of these (which is good). Comments in red.

How about Hugh Jackman...?

Dunno, who I'd pick. Going to have to think about this.....
I'm not interested in having an American as Bond. I think they should be British.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 4:08 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Fassbender is the bookies favourite at 5/2
Tom Hardy 3/1
Aidan Turner 4/1
James Norton 7/1
Hiddleston 8/1
Idris Elba 10's
Bradley Cooper 25's
I think Fassbender or Hardy are too established as movie stars to be suitable, Bond actors seem to be generally taken from more under the radar actors.

I'd like Mark Strong, though equally he is a good villain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.