Cold Turkey

Old Nov 7th 2017, 11:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Cold Turkey

Afternoon,

Who here has stayed for Xmas before?

Did you order a turkey in? It seems the done thing....
Was it good or am I better off just cooking?

Any recommendations appreciated. Unless it's to not have turkey and to have something else, then silence is appreciated.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cold Turkey

Originally Posted by Scamp
Afternoon,

Who here has stayed for Xmas before?

Did you order a turkey in? It seems the done thing....
Was it good or am I better off just cooking?

Any recommendations appreciated. Unless it's to not have turkey and to have something else, then silence is appreciated.
So you don't want advice on cold turkey?
Old Nov 7th 2017, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

i've been here a handful of christmas's.....i've always wanted to order the complete turkey meal....but almost all places do a minimum order for 5 people....there is only so much turkey and trimmings i can eat on my own....so in the end i've ended up doing a chicken instead
Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
On how to avoid cold turkey I guess....

Originally Posted by mission
i've been here a handful of christmas's.....i've always wanted to order the complete turkey meal....but almost all places do a minimum order for 5 people....there is only so much turkey and trimmings i can eat on my own....so in the end i've ended up doing a chicken instead
I remember when Mum would get a turkey crown. Very weird.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:13 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Wahay, a thread about turkey that is actually about turkey!

I love turkey.

I have done xmas here a few times. The first time I cooked xmas dinner here, I even posted a photo of my bird on this bored as I recall....

You can get pretty good deals on cooked turkey from many of the hotels and restaurants but it might be a bit of a crapshoot on quality. Also, it all now seems to require collection thus potentially eliminating a lot of the convenience benefit unless it's right around the corner. The first time I had xmas here was xmas 2007. I had a large family group as guests so I ordered delivery from Le Meridien at the airport: turkey and all the trimmings including pigs in blankets, several veg, gravy and the works for an unbelievable (even at the time) 350aed. The food showed up bang on time in perfect condition and was all very good even though they came over 30km to deliver. No such options available any more alas.

It was a great way to de-stress the day as I was able to spend time with the visitors out and about and then dish up a great traditional xmas meal at home. I roasted a few bits in the oven to have that "cooking atmosphere" and made the trifle (my mother brought the pud) and odds and sods. I also had fun winding up my mother who was getting very agitated about when the turkey was going to go in the oven and what time we would be eating...

In subsequent years with (fewer) guests I have cooked. That is harder to manage if you are trying to keep people amused and manage a big dinner on the day, even if you have thoroughly done the prep the day before as I always do. I actually enjoy the prep, getting a day to myself in the kitchen (interfering bf is banned as he is culturally ignorant on this subject even if I do pander to him by keeping the sausage stuffing separate and avoid putting rashers on the turkey - which i don't think help anyway) methodically working through all of the tasks to a soundtrack of blasting choral xmas music.

But the day itself is always a bit fraught. Last year with a smaller family group the turkey bled when I cut into the joint at the leg on the table so back into the oven for an hour it had to go. I could have got upset but instead I drank more and got happily drunk and had a big laugh about it so I enjoyed myself anyway! It's not the only time that's happened (Patsy will be smiling if she's reading this from her Aegean bolthole) and turkeys are notoriously hard to get right. I have tended to buy an expensive fresh one which you can pre-order from Spinneys but I suspect you get just as good a result and possibly less hassle with a frozen bird, particularly if it's a quality one - as long as you give it adequate time to defrost.

And then I love days and days of cold turkey and trimmings and finding interesting things to do with them (though just tossing all the bits you want in a wok and dry frying them to get a bit of crispiness before sousing them with gravy on the pate is hard to beat even for the fourth or fifth time). Contrary to popular myths, I always run out long before I get tired of it. Trifle and cold xmas pudding also make excellent lavish post-xmas holiday breakfasts!
Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I will be helpful.

I was invited to a Thanksgiving dinner last year by one of my American mates. I remember being impressed because he'd ordered most of the dinner from one of the hotels, including the turkey, potatoes, carrots, sauce/gravy, brussels sprouts and maybe something else too, and there were around 12 of us and I think he mentioned the food order cost under 500 AED. The turkey was juicy and surprisingly delicious and was probably a rotisserie turkey. There were leftovers.

The rest of the food was brought from the various guests.

While I cannot vouchsafe the name of the hotel I do vaguely remember it was one of the Sheratons (maybe! could be wrong!) But I imagine many of the hotels offer a full X-mas dinner package.

If there is a caveat, the food was delivered already prepped but not carved, and it did get cool quickly. The host and hostess took close to a hour from delivery to when we actually sat down to eat. If you're having a dinner, time the delivery to be exactly when you intend to eat so it's dropped off, you faff around the kitchen for ten minutes sorting the containers out and carving the turkey, then tell everyone to line up for the feeding trough.

Overall verdict:

1. Turkey was excellent
2. The hotel vegs were unremarkable but fine, perfectly edible
3. The greens/salads/vegs from the other guests were better than the hotel version
4. Turkey alone was worth the money and avoiding having to roast your own turkey
Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:25 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

I will be helpful.

I was invited to a Thanksgiving dinner last year by one of my American mates. I remember being impressed because he'd ordered most of the dinner from one of the hotels, including the turkey, potatoes, carrots, sauce/gravy, brussels sprouts and maybe something else too, and there were around 12 of us and I think he mentioned the food order cost under 500 AED. The turkey was juicy and surprisingly delicious and was probably a rotisserie turkey. There were leftovers.

The rest of the food was brought from the various guests.

While I cannot vouchsafe the name of the hotel I do vaguely remember it was one of the Sheratons (maybe! could be wrong!) But I imagine many of the hotels offer a full X-mas dinner package.

If there is a caveat, the food was delivered already prepped but not carved, and it did get cool quickly. The host and hostess took close to a hour from delivery to when we actually sat down to eat. If you're having a dinner, time the delivery to be exactly when you intend to eat so it's dropped off, you faff around the kitchen for ten minutes sorting the containers out and carving the turkey, then tell everyone to line up for the feeding trough.

Overall verdict:

1. Turkey was excellent
3. The greens/salads/vegs from the other guests were better than the hotel version
4. Turkey alone was worth the money and avoiding having to roast your own turkey
In Dubai? Delivered? For that price? I could not find anything like that the past few times I looked... I guess maybe possible at Thanksgiving but not at xmas where demand will be much much higher...
Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Wahay, a thread about turkey that is actually about turkey!

I love turkey.

I have done xmas here a few times. The first time I cooked xmas dinner here, I even posted a photo of my bird on this bored as I recall....

I always run out long before I get tired of it. Trifle and cold xmas pudding also make excellent lavish post-xmas holiday breakfasts!
Thanks, very useful. I don't love turkey unless it's cooked nicely which Mummy and I managed last year.....but oven space is limited and I don't own a hostess trolley.

Overall verdict:

1. Turkey was excellent
So, I'm thinking, order the bird, cook everything else.
Order the bird from the conveniently located hotel next door to avoid disappointment I guess, or collect myself.
I love cooking so doing shed loads of roasties and pigs in blankets and carrots and and and and is quite exciting.

Thanks chaps
Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Done several Xmas' here. Even worked (pub for 12) the last few...... however, we all used to go round to a couple house and have a big shindig. They always used to order it and all the trimmings in and get it delivered and it was top banana. Haven't a clue how much it was though.

As far as I know loads of hotels do it. I'd just pick one relatively decent relatively close by.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

calipso is just really nicecalipso is just really nicecalipso is just really nicecalipso is just really nicecalipso is just really nicecalipso is just really nicecalipso is just really nicecalipso is just really nice

Easiest way for Christmas Lunch delivery is to order through Room Service Deliveries website. Lots of hotels and menus to choose from, and they will deliver at the time you request.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 1:47 pm
...we killed the flame

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Done several Xmas' here. Even worked (pub for 12) the last few...... however, we all used to go round to a couple house and have a big shindig. They always used to order it and all the trimmings in and get it delivered and it was top banana. Haven't a clue how much it was though.

As far as I know loads of hotels do it. I'd just pick one relatively decent relatively close by.
Loads of hotels do food for pick-up but I could not find any to do delivery in the past few years - other than by using a third party like Room Service as mentioned or maybe Uber eats.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold

Due to the cost of festive flights and the limited tolerance for each others respective inlaws, we stay here every year. Usually put on a spread and have folk round. The last 5 years we've ordered the turkey in but did the soup, sides, alternatives and pudding ourselves. Actually works out the same as getting it from Spinney's but obviously minus a huge amount of hassle.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 4:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thought he was referring to smoking or alcohol
Old Nov 7th 2017, 5:09 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Thanks, very useful. I don't love turkey unless it's cooked nicely which Mummy and I managed last year.....but oven space is limited and I don't own a hostess trolley.
You don't need one. Let the turkey rest for up to an hour after it's cooked, keep it wrapped in foil and it'll remain hot. But make sure the dinner plates are piping hot.

(Mother was Gordon Blue)
Old Nov 8th 2017, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Just go out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.