Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Cold call from Citibank

Cold call from Citibank

Old Jun 7th 2010, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Clay Buster has a spectacular aura aboutClay Buster has a spectacular aura aboutClay Buster has a spectacular aura about
Default Cold call from Citibank

Citibank called to offer me an exciting new credit card opportunity! Oh, the excitement!!!

So, since he said something about a free flight to New York and discount golf, I thought it only fair to find out more. "Send me an email", I said. He even carefully repeated my email address back to me. Did he send me the details? Did he ****.

This happens every single time I ask for details by email, even from a bank with whom I already have a card when they call to offer me an interest-free payment plan.

Is there some conspiricy by Indian-run banks to only do business verbally?
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:44 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cold call from Citibank

Originally Posted by Clay Buster
Citibank called to offer me an exciting new credit card opportunity! Oh, the excitement!!!

So, since he said something about a free flight to New York and discount golf, I thought it only fair to find out more. "Send me an email", I said. He even carefully repeated my email address back to me. Did he send me the details? Did he ****.

This happens every single time I ask for details by email, even from a bank with whom I already have a card when they call to offer me an interest-free payment plan.

Is there some conspiricy by Indian-run banks to only do business verbally?
If it happens every time then perhaps your spam filter is set to 'extra hot' in the same way mine is at work..

I barely receive emails from my external partners, and that in most cases is only because I have requested them to be whitelisted. My company's policy on spam seems to be block all mail unless specifically asked to let it through by the recipient.

When I explained to the IT bod in charge of the exchange server and associated solutions that this was completely insane he told me that I should know about all mail I expect to receive and tell him up front.

I'm currently considering going back to faxing people..
Old Jun 7th 2010, 12:25 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
If it happens every time then perhaps your spam filter is set to 'extra hot' in the same way mine is at work..

I barely receive emails from my external partners, and that in most cases is only because I have requested them to be whitelisted. My company's policy on spam seems to be block all mail unless specifically asked to let it through by the recipient.

When I explained to the IT bod in charge of the exchange server and associated solutions that this was completely insane he told me that I should know about all mail I expect to receive and tell him up front.

I'm currently considering going back to faxing people..
Sounds typical. Employ IT experts to help you run your business, and they end up telling YOU what to do. Same as banks--strange, I thought they were meant to be providing a service... I must have misunderstood.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 12:31 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Citibank called to offer me an exciting new credit card opportunity! < snip>
Normally there is a form to fill in that you can fax back...along with your signature. I had the same problem with Citibank in Australia...they don't do emails - too insecure.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Clay Buster has a spectacular aura aboutClay Buster has a spectacular aura aboutClay Buster has a spectacular aura about

Not my spam filter - the email address I gave is a webmail service, and all they do is put [xxxx suspected junk mail] by a message, where xxxx is the name of the service provider.

It's also nothing to do with security since I am not a Citibank customer anyway. All they have to do is send me some advertising.

I put it down to a desire to control the process of selling me on a credit card from Citibank, and to do that they have to sell me on it verbally. Funnily enough, I have NEVER signed up for anything that cost me money on the basis of a cold call by phone.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:05 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Not my spam filter - the email address I gave is a webmail service, and all they do is put [xxxx suspected junk mail] by a message, where xxxx is the name of the service provider.

It's also nothing to do with security since I am not a Citibank customer anyway. All they have to do is send me some advertising.

I put it down to a desire to control the process of selling me on a credit card from Citibank, and to do that they have to sell me on it verbally. Funnily enough, I have NEVER signed up for anything that cost me money on the basis of a cold call by phone.
Why would a credit card cost you money by the way? Use it sensibly rather than abuse it and it costs you nothing...

Samba had the best method I've come across to get me to sign up. They called me on my mobile while I was at lunch to tell me I was approved for a creditcard with blah blah limit. They told me all I had to do was meet with an agent for 10 minutes (in my location of choice) and then I would get the card in the post 1 week later. Not strictly a cold call as I have my current account with them, but still good service in my opinion.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Just ask them why they fired that hot looking Latino chick...see Mr. Dean's thread on the subject.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:12 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
Why would a credit card cost you money by the way? Use it sensibly rather than abuse it and it costs you nothing...
The card in question has an annual fee. Doesn't matter how sensibly you use it, they will charge you the fee....
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:57 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
The card in question has an annual fee. Doesn't matter how sensibly you use it, they will charge you the fee....
right. i see. yeah. that's crap..