Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Egyptian singer faces jail after "disparaging" remarks about Nile

Egyptian singer faces jail after "disparaging" remarks about Nile

Old Dec 23rd 2017, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Egyptian singer faces jail after "disparaging" remarks about Nile

An Egyptian lawyer is suing an Egyptian singer following a concert in the United Arab Emirates, where the lawyer accuses the singer of insulting Egyptian pride by warning people about drinking from the Nile:

Nocookies | The Australian

The singer faces three years in jail if convicted. I am confident the trial will be evidence-based and reason will prevail.

I have visited my Egyptian colleagues numerous times in their home villages. In Northern Egypt, the Nile is putrid and disgusting, and Bilharzia (among other illnesses) is a real threat. I have drunk from the Nile - totally unwittingly - and became so dizzy the rest of that night that I couldn't stand up without falling over.

In Southern Egypt, around Luxor, the Nile seems much, much cleaner and has a nice blue colour to it.

Evian spelled backwards is naive but I surely am not the first to notice that.

Fun fact: the UAE national anthem was written by an Egyptian, Mohamed Abdel Wahab, who also wrote the national anthems of a few other Arab countries.