car shopping

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:20 am
W10

Default car shopping

Ok, I'm going to look at a few cars today.

Need something more practical, four (ish) seats, quick, nice to look at and easy to sell (holding value too, in about 18 months)

I've jotted down

Mercedes 350C avant garde (i like the aggressive styling, haven't driven one yet)

Audi A5 (think it is overpriced though), or maybe a high powered A4 (depending on cost)

BMW 3 series couple/convertible (beautiful cars but seem pretty common and my boss has one)

Alfa Brera - stunning to look at...will drive it but not sure about selling on nor holdig value

Lexus IS300 - guaranteed to be able to sell and a nice car but they seem 10 a penny.

Any other suggestions?? I'm struggling...

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car shopping

Originally Posted by W10

Need something more practical, four (ish) seats, quick, nice to look at and easy to sell (holding value too, in about 18 months)

I've jotted down

Mercedes 350C avant garde (i like the aggressive styling, haven't driven one yet)

Audi A5 (think it is overpriced though), or maybe a high powered A4 (depending on cost)

BMW 3 series couple/convertible (beautiful cars but seem pretty common and my boss has one)

Alfa Brera - stunning to look at...will drive it but not sure about selling on nor holdig value

Lexus IS300 - guaranteed to be able to sell and a nice car but they seem 10 a penny.

I heard that Audis are very expensive to maintain so bear that in mind, especially for the re-sale value. Can you afford a Maserati - I mean they are gorgeous and who cares about costs if you've got one of those?
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:28 am
W10

I don't want to spend that much - besides, they have pretty poor resale value.

maintaince costs not too much of a worry as i don't do that many miles

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
I don't want to spend that much - besides, they have pretty poor resale value.

maintaince costs not too much of a worry as i don't do that many miles
Actually, I know nothing about cars and run mine into the ground so resale isn't my priority - but a good A/C is and from what I gather, the Lexus would be a good bet. But then again, Audis are lovely and comfortable and the power is always a bonus.

Happy car hunting and enjoy your test drives.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:44 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

purely practical get the lexus, cheaper servicing, best reliability and good resale

petrol head, the alfa but you'll lose all your money, it will hardly ever work and you'll never sell it....all that said it would probably be the most fun to own and drive
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

I've jotted down

Gorgeous...Get the AMG styled one,but will cost you good money though...220K+ if new...But has road presence...
A5 is magnificent...Gwyneth Paltrow drove one in Ironman...You can do the same...Plus, the new Audis come with a 5 year/105000kms service included in the price...One less hassle...For me, Audis are better than BMWs now...At least you wont find a Lebo poseur in one...
You're not a Lebo...I think that closes the argument then and there...
Alfa's are full of character and beautiful...Real pity they aren't appreciated here...Only buy it if you want to keep it for at least 5 years...Even though noone guarantees it will run for that long...
The local man's BMW...You're not a local...Another argument ended abruptly...
Im answering you with red knickers on...As if it wasn'tobvious...
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 10:49 am
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by W10

I've jotted down

Hi W10,

I'm negotiating at the moment to buy a second hand Audi A6 from a Dubai based dealer, okay not the model you're after. The one I had offered is 21 months old, none turbo version with full options. If I can get the dealer down to € 29.500 (Which is what? Ruffly AED 145.000?) I'll have it put in a 20 foot container and shipped to Holland. Gives an idea of the re-sale value.

Last edited by Dutchie; Aug 2nd 2008 at 11:05 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Would you not consider the Infiniti G37 as well, fantastic car.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 12:42 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
Would you not consider the Infiniti G37 as well, fantastic car.
yes W10 they are really nice!
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

I've jotted down

Hi W10

VW and Audi are very expensive on parts

Convertible , the AC's always seem to struggle and pack in.

How about the gorgeous Nissan sporty one, gorgeous, but expensive i think!
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 3:01 pm
W10

Of all the cars I saw today, I liked the Merc 350C (its 204k without sat nav - which i don't need). The avant garde model is the AMG kit version with the big aggressive grill and the 18 inch five spoke alloys.

I liked the BMWs but way overpriced,

Big fan of the A5, its gorgeous and I'll be test driving it, but really pokey in the back considering its a pretty big car.

Lexus was beautiful inside, definitely the practical option as I am planning to keep it for 18 months only.

I also saw a Honda Accord Coupe...beautiful styling...dh117 (I know it isn't a luxury marque but I was really taken with the styling)

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 3:27 pm

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by W10
Of all the cars I saw today, I liked the Merc 350C (its 204k without sat nav - which i don't need). The avant garde model is the AMG kit version with the big aggressive grill and the 18 inch five spoke alloys.

Big fan of the A5, its gorgeous and I'll be test driving it, but really pokey in the back considering its a pretty big car.

Lexus was beautiful inside, definitely the practical option as I am planning to keep it for 18 months only.

I also saw a Honda Accord Coupe...beautiful styling...dh117 (I know it isn't a luxury marque but I was really taken with the styling)
Hi W10,

Didn't want my posting to sound as an insult, just in case you tend to sell early, that why I mentioned it.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 3:45 pm
W10

Wasn't taken as an insult - one of the things I'm looking at is the resale value after two years.

I think you can get less than that for the A6.

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by W10
Wasn't taken as an insult - one of the things I'm looking at is the resale value after two years.

I think you can get less than that for the A6.

It's interesting for me as I can import it as a company car meaning it remains luxury tax free. In Holland a car like this one, Audi A6 3.2 V6 will set me back at least € 46.000 This one if I get it down to € 25.000? Add +/- € 1.800 sea freight + € 2.500 to make it road worthy in Europe again is a sweet deal for me.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

204K??? That's a great price for a car like that!!! First time I hear a Merc cheaper than a comparable BMW...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.