Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Cameron's Big Society: Is it a Big Scam?

Cameron's Big Society: Is it a Big Scam?

Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Cameron's Big Society: Is it a Big Scam?

Originally Posted by lionheart
I have not done any research on the subject and still have little idea what the Big Society means but surely, if volunteerrs are needed, the unemployed and those living on benefits should be the first in line. After all, they generally have more spare time. Also, students (and teachers) during the summer break could probably do more for the community.
Best thing said in this thread.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold

Eddie Mair putting Francis Maude on the spot: "what volunteering do you do?''

http://audioboo.fm/boos/155599-eddie...ring-do-you-do
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold

I have not done any research on the subject and still have little idea what the Big Society means but surely, if volunteerrs are needed, the unemployed and those living on benefits should be the first in line. After all, they generally have more spare time. Also, students (and teachers) during the summer break could probably do more for the community.
Ok,Here is a brief history of events which contributed to the development of this thing they call the Big Society:

In the 1970s and 1980s, radical lefties set up a wide range of communuity groups to empower people and deliver a wide range of innovative services. Of course The Tories and their Right Wing allies denounced them in the most vicious terms.

Then between 1997 and 2010, Labour created space and put in place policies to enable literally thousands of voluntary groups to flourish, with huge new opportunities to deliver services and to improve local neighbourhoods. Once again The Tories ignored this, because they were more interested in banging on about immigrants and tax cuts.

In 2009, a small group of PR professionals at the top of the Tory Party – none of whom had any experience of voluntary action – announced something called the ‘Big Society’, a vague, top down initiative which attempted to claim credit for the insight that voluntary groups had a role to play in delivering services and improving communities.

In 2011, thousands of voluntary and community groups will be wiped out by the savage cuts which the Tory government is inflicting on us.

Now a shorter history of the Tories and the Big Society goes like this:

-First they denounced it.

-Then they ignored it.

-Then they claimed credit for it.

-Then they cut it.

Hope this helped. Then again Cameron is arguably the most hilarious PM we have ever had - he should go on Britain's Got Talent.

About Volunteering? well, just listen to this:

Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Al, You seem very negative my dear. Why should Cameron do his job for free- he does it fulll time, what he is asking is for people to give a few hours a week to society, time you can spare- he's not saying quit your job. Personally I think its about bloody time! I always thought lollipop ladies where volunteer jobs anyway. I actually think benefits should be linked to community service, if you are out of work you give back to society and if you in work then 2 hours a week isn't exactly going to kill you- how much time do we waste every week? The TA and red cross are all volunteers, people that work in charity shops are generally volunteers, people shaking cans collecting money on the high street are volunteers. All he is asking is for everyone else to get off their backsides and help. Desperate times mean desperate measures. Obviously, cutting jobs and replacing those workers with volunteers is unethical however they have to make cuts somewhere.

There is no easy answer to sort the country out- I would suggest stopping big blue chip companies/banks from making any profit for the next year and invest the money back into the people by sponsoring libraries, pools etc.
Funny, you never commented on us giving India 1billion in Aid.

I cant see anything to be positive about when they are closing down my local library.

Volunteering? There are thousands of Volunteers up and down the Country who have been doing great work for years, but these Clowns are now responsible for cutting off their funding, so I wonder where those you mentioned above will go to volunteer to. He really ought to look to the Lib dems for some ideas, "Big Society" doesn't stand a hope, but localism could deliver...but this requires devolved powers, reform of the tax system..a prolonged political engagement which I doubt he has the capacity or intellectual depth for.

BTW

This cartoon by Adams from The Sunday Telegraph shows UK Prime Minister David Cameron in the role of Harold Macmillan, who was PM from 1957 to 1963.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfrombarking
Ok,Here is a brief history of events which contributed to the development of this thing they call the Big Society:

In the 1970s and 1980s, radical lefties set up a wide range of communuity groups to empower people and deliver a wide range of innovative services. Of course The Tories and their Right Wing allies denounced them in the most vicious terms.

Then between 1997 and 2010, Labour created space and put in place policies to enable literally thousands of voluntary groups to flourish, with huge new opportunities to deliver services and to improve local neighbourhoods. Once again The Tories ignored this, because they were more interested in banging on about immigrants and tax cuts.

In 2009, a small group of PR professionals at the top of the Tory Party – none of whom had any experience of voluntary action – announced something called the ‘Big Society’, a vague, top down initiative which attempted to claim credit for the insight that voluntary groups had a role to play in delivering services and improving communities.

In 2011, thousands of voluntary and community groups will be wiped out by the savage cuts which the Tory government is inflicting on us.

Now a shorter history of the Tories and the Big Society goes like this:

-First they denounced it.

-Then they ignored it.

-Then they claimed credit for it.

-Then they cut it.

Hope this helped. Then again Cameron is arguably the most hilarious PM we have ever had - he should go on Britain's Got Talent.

About Volunteering? well, just listen to this:

Cameron is a prick just like Milliband , Clegg and all the other Chinless wonders. He hasn't got a majority and will be out of office within 18 months.

He'll Back to having Eton Mess with his old sparring partners from the Bullingdon Club.

There's not a politician out there worth voting for.....I'm so glad i don't pay Tax...!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:48 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfrombarking
You are asking for solution?

If Cameron is so keen on this Big Society idea why doesn't he volunteer to be PM? We could let him keep his (carefully monitored)expenses out of kindness. Seeing as how 23 of the 29 cabinet members are millionaires they too could become volunteer ministers (again, given expenses) It's not as if they'd go without food is it?

We also could do away with that $ 1.6billion we give to India..I mean this is a country that can afford huge defence budgets, a space programme and has economic growth at a rate we have never seen then there is no longer a rational argument.

The main problem with Cameron's Big Society, despite its rhetoric and PR, is that it is a top down initiative, developed by a few wealthy and powerful people who have little understanding of social action.

No. Ethos was specifically asking what YOU are going to do to help. Your biased psuedo-political rhetoric is soap-box bombast of the worst kind.

I am no Tory and do not approve of much of what the party stands for but I do understand the principle of 'Big Society' no matter who invented it or is claiming credit now. That really doesn't matter. The point is that people should be involved in their communities and in society.

And as for suggesting that Cameron should work for free? That is utterly ridiculous. I'd suggest quite the opposite. Salaries for leading elected political roles should double. Then perhaps people with talent might be interested in standing, and the positions would attract interest from those who are successful in business. I have known some very successful city and business types who would really understand the issues but who will not go down the political route as the pay is too small for all the hassle. UK plc needs a decent MD and we don't get that by paying £145k or thereabouts a year.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Meow
No. Ethos was specifically asking what YOU are going to do to help. Your biased psuedo-political rhetoric is soap-box bombast of the worst kind.

I am no Tory and do not approve of much of what the party stands for but I do understand the principle of 'Big Society' no matter who invented it or is claiming credit now. That really doesn't matter. The point is that people should be involved in their communities and in society.

And as for suggesting that Cameron should work for free? That is utterly ridiculous. I'd suggest quite the opposite. Salaries for leading elected political roles should double. Then perhaps people with talent might be interested in standing, and the positions would attract interest from those who are successful in business. I have known some very successful city and business types who would really understand the issues but who will not go down the political route as the pay is too small for all the hassle. UK plc needs a decent MD and we don't get that by paying k or thereabouts a year.

The voluntary sector is being strangled by cuts at the moment and there are social enterprises closing down all over the place.

Pretending that the loss of statutory provision can be replaced by a load of volunteers is basically a con.

Not a word about 1 Billion that we shouldn't be given to Indians

btw
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/work/ar..._page_id=53928

Last edited by alfrombarking; Feb 15th 2011 at 2:36 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:12 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Spot on, LH. Receipt of benefits should be conditional upon hard evidence of such participation.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Elmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by co durham boy
The country is run by the elite few that spans the full political spectrum......Same Public schools , Same Tailors , Same winter ski resort , same Tuscan Villas and same horsey faced looking women....
Time for me to leave the UK I think! As the old D-reem song goes "Things can only get better" (in Dubai)
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Elmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
In times of crisis or great difficulty people do pull together. Maybe we need another war.
We have had 2 recently and are still in one, too many lads coming back in pine overcoats, so that's enough war for now thanks
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Spot on, LH. Receipt of benefits should be conditional upon hard evidence of such participation.
Teachers spend most of the summer recovering from the stresses of the previous term and preparing lessons and resources for the new term. We do enough community service by facing badly behaved pupils who don't give a damn about education, but aspire to become a footballer, sleep with a footballer or win the X-Factor
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Cameron is a prick just like Milliband , Clegg and all the other Chinless wonders. He hasn't got a majority and will be out of office within 18 months.

He'll Back to having Eton Mess with his old sparring partners from the Bullingdon Club.

There's not a politician out there worth voting for.....I'm so glad i don't pay Tax...!
Ha, some great comments here
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

My son gets benefits because he is severely autistic. He cannot talk, read, write or go out of his care home alone. What volunteering would you suggest that he does to earn his benefits?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

And as for suggesting that Cameron should work for free? That is utterly ridiculous. I'd suggest quite the opposite. Salaries for leading elected political roles should double. Then perhaps people with talent might be interested in standing, and the positions would attract interest from those who are successful in business. I have known some very successful city and business types who would really understand the issues but who will not go down the political route as the pay is too small for all the hassle. UK plc needs a decent MD and we don't get that by paying £145k or thereabouts a year.
Its the ' fakeness' of the whole thing that's nauseating for me . Its about decency and about peoples pride in themselves and their own community.

Not so many years ago people would care about their community and care about their neighbors, whether that was a council estate in Hartlepool or a stand alone 12 bedroom property in the Cotswolds.

Running a local football team , looking after a community center , Scouts , Army Cadets , local playgroups and Societies , all these were up and running years ago without the Big Society Bullshit.

I honestly think people have forgotten what being people is all about . It's the me me me me generation fueled by house prices , X Factor , Big Brother and keeping up with the Jones's.

People like Cameron and his ilk have no idea whatsoever how to deal with the situation , they have no experience are devoid of ideas and are mentored by spin and jargon.

Camerons Big Society starts at the Fulham Road and ends in Kensington High Street.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
There is no easy answer to sort the country out- I would suggest stopping big blue chip companies/banks from making any profit for the next year and invest the money back into the people by sponsoring libraries, pools etc.
This would destroy all future investment in to the country.

We should be making deeper cuts than we currently are, reduce corporate taxation, reduce income taxation and increase consumption taxes. No one will have the balls to do that though.

As for PM working for free that could be possible. No PM works for the income they receive during office. They make their money when they leave.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.