Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Callous and not human behaviour.

Callous and not human behaviour.

Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Callous and not human behaviour.

Really nothing more to say.

2 year old is hit and run over by van who stops and realizes he hit her but he takes off, running over her again. As the little girl lays on road , NO ONE comes to her aid. She is then hit AGAIN by another vehicle. A dozen people just pass by ignoring the child laying on the road.

Video below
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...oad-China.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...-and-run-china
Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Callous and not human behaviour.

words fail me.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

i wouldnt expect anything less in China*; but what pleasantly surprised me was that there an outcry among many Chinese, I would have expected them to be as apathetic as the bystanders.

I can understand that its pathetic to prosecute good samaritans as the article claims happens in China (and surprise surprise, in the Gulf as well). But the fact that no one stopped without touching the child is horrifying

* Am searching for a video i saw few days back: a police car in China hits a cyclistwho flies and lands bleeding profusely. 2 policemen walk to the spot, and start inspecting the car bumper looking for damage, continuing for a few seconds oblivious to the bleeding person behind them.....
Old Oct 19th 2011, 6:19 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima
i wouldnt expect anything less in China*; but what pleasantly surprised me was that there an outcry among many Chinese, I would have expected them to be as apathetic as the bystanders.

I can understand that its pathetic to prosecute good samaritans as the article claims happens in China (and surprise surprise, in the Gulf as well). But the fact that no one stopped without touching the child is horrifying

* Am searching for a video i saw few days back: a police car in China hits a cyclistwho flies and lands bleeding profusely. 2 policemen walk to the spot, and start inspecting the car bumper looking for damage, continuing for a few seconds oblivious to the bleeding person behind them.....
China's a very big country with vast differences in behaviour depending where you go. This wouldn't happen in a small town or village where most people know each other, but could happen in any major city on earth..and it does with surprising frequency:
What's shocking about this is that is happened in China, where traditionally people used to help and assist each other. Am not sure why you would "expect anything less in China"? I've seen people lying in the street in their own blood in my own country before with dozens of people walking past until someone stops to help. The Chinese don't have a history of democracy and speaking out against authority in public, yet more and more stories like this emerge and are changing things. The government is desperate to keep power and is reacting more and more to public will as much as their own communist agenda.

Whatever the case I think it's good that stories like this reach the international press where it will cause the Chinese to re-evaluate their embrace of materialism and attitudes of not caring about anyone they don't know. Hopefully the authorities will start amending easily abused laws which can hurt the kind souls who do stop to help.

N.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 6:31 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Whatever the case I think it's good that stories like this reach the international press where it will cause the Chinese to re-evaluate their embrace of materialism and attitudes of not caring about anyone they don't know. Hopefully the authorities will start amending easily abused laws which can hurt the kind souls who do stop to help.

N.
That must have been a large cup of optimism you had with your Cheerios this morning, Norm.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 7:21 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That must have been a large cup of optimism you had with your Cheerios this morning, Norm.
Look at how China has changed in the last 25 years - the pattern is there, slow and steady change with a very long way to go.

I doubt they'll turn into a bastion of human rights or anything but the effect on the ground has been stunning...it's just a shame they are embracing so much materialism in the process.

There's certainly more social freedom in China than there is in most middle eastern countries (unless you can get arrested for having consensual adult sex and I'm missing something).

N.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Don't watch the video. Upset me for the past 2 days.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:34 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Look at how China has changed in the last 25 years - the pattern is there, slow and steady change with a very long way to go.

I doubt they'll turn into a bastion of human rights or anything but the effect on the ground has been stunning...it's just a shame they are embracing so much materialism in the process.

There's certainly more social freedom in China than there is in most middle eastern countries (unless you can get arrested for having consensual adult sex and I'm missing something).

N.
Forgot the
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:36 pm
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seven seas
Don't watch the video. Upset me for the past 2 days.
Thanks for the warning.

We live in times where those that perpetrate such atrocities can no longer expect that their actions will go unnoticed by the world, which is both a good thing, and for the rest of us, a bad thing.

The more you see of the world, the less you like what you see.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the same type of thing on several occasions while living in Lagos. In Nigeria, any person who attends to a road traffic victim becomes responsible (by association) for the body, along with the costs of removal.

Mashed up bodies would sometimes lie at the side of the road for days before finally being removed.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Forgot the
Why? For pointing out this sad facet of human behaviour isn't linked to China alone and happens with shocking frequency all over the world?

N.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:42 am

Update:

They are now going to debate new a law compelling people to help others in obvious distress...I doubt it will go through but it shows how much public outrage there has been over this video - that's always a good thing. We could all use a bit of soul searching regardless of where we are.

N.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:49 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Why? For pointing out this sad facet of human behaviour isn't linked to China alone and happens with shocking frequency all over the world?

N.
Actually, you tried to turn the topic onto the one you favour above all others, via some point about social freedoms. It's really quite impressive how you do this so consistently.

Last edited by littlejimmy; Oct 20th 2011 at 11:51 am.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Actually, you tried to turn the topic onto the one you favour above all others, via some point about social freedoms. It's really quite impressive how you do this so consistently.
How so? I haven't mentioned religion or breasts once in this thread...

N.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 6:15 am
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of

http://shanghaiist.com/2011/10/19/ch...d_rewarded.php

Sad that the woman who didn't just walk past the dying toddler is now traumatised by the whole thing, and had to leave her home town after neighbours harassed her saying she did it for the money

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.