Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

"Brits Go Home!"... er, I mean "don't"........

"Brits Go Home!"... er, I mean "don't"........

Old May 26th 2013, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Brits Go Home!"... er, I mean "don't"........

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/are-t...e--501787.html
Old May 26th 2013, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Brits Go Home!"... er, I mean "don't"........

Interesting, but the comments were the usual cracked record.
Old May 26th 2013, 10:01 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Silly article.

Ok, there's 100k Brits in the UAE.

Yet why does no one complain about the South Asian population in the UAE, which not only vastly exceeds the British population but is even more permanently based? Yet the Brits are the threat?
Old May 26th 2013, 10:03 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Massive chips on shoulders some people.

Personally i think it's jealousy and insecurity.
Old May 26th 2013, 10:08 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Silly article.

Yet why does no one complain about the South Asian population in the UAE, which not only vastly exceeds the British population but is even more permanently based? Yet the Brits are the threat?
a lot of locals do complain about it, mostly the young who imagine their country can survive without them. The older ones of course know that most business done here is funneled through Indian/Pakistani?Iranian companies and they'd be ****ed without them, even more so than without us.

as an aside and because my head is full of such useless crap, the official currency here used to be the rupee and most of the pearl diving industry was driven by India, locals in dubai were pearl divers with the occasional boat owner but the vast majority of traders and boat owners were Indian.
Old May 26th 2013, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Silly article.

The tired clichés about all Brits being sunburnt and/or drunk rolled out at the start immediately put me off the rest of the article. And the statement '...I’ve been told by taxi drivers, locals and even the British themselves that “there are just too many Brits in the UAE”...' I just find completely unbelievable. I've never heard this said or even implied by anyone here.

Even the conclusion that, because there are half a dozen Brits in senior positions in a few local companies everything is ok, really just seemed rather simplistic and contrived, not exactly ground breaking journalism.
Old May 26th 2013, 10:10 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

the thing i really love about the expat out argument is that if 99% of the population work for the government and we all left, who exactly would they be governing and what would they do in these jobs, mind you i often wonder what half of them do on any given day anyway
Old May 26th 2013, 10:37 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
the thing i really love about the expat out argument is that if 99% of the population work for the government and we all left, who exactly would they be governing and what would they do in these jobs, mind you i often wonder what half of them do on any given day anyway
Indeed, most expats have jobs and work hard and avoid trouble. On top of this even staying long term is only feasable with a job. There are no state handouts or passports even after decades. It's a totally different situation to the UK for example.

It's mostly younger locals who think they know everything (like most young people everywhere). Most locals don't mind expats as long as they work and respect UAE law because they know they can kick them out anytime they like...again, unlike the UK where we can't seem to kick out people who scream from the rooftops about how much they hate us and our society before going to collect benefits for them and their families.

N.
Old May 26th 2013, 11:03 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

More bad press....

"We come from different backgrounds [and] sometimes they [foreign cultures] are imping on each other. They should be in line with each other. Sometimes they are not aware or ignorant of this. This applies to all communities, but to be candid and frank, it’s probably usually Britons."

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/ge...ture-1.1188172
Old May 26th 2013, 11:09 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

...and some interesting statistics:

On average, an expat pays some Dh2,500 annually to the UAE government in various fees

– but the state spends about Dh14,000 on each expat per year.

60 per cent of Zayed University students polled in a recent survey are “not afraid” of expats’ presence and impact on Emirati society

48 per cent of ZU students feel the success story of the UAE is possible without expats

47 per cent of ZU students feel this is not possible

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/ge...-uae-1.1188229

Seriously??? How does that 48% feel about working as cleaners, cooks, petrol attendants, shop assistants, construction workers etc...
Old May 26th 2013, 11:17 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by NorthernLad

Seriously??? How does that 48% feel about working as cleaners, cooks, petrol attendants, shop assistants, construction workers etc...
they don't feel, these people are invisible to them and thus they haven't even considered the ramifications of their removal. hilarious really
Old May 26th 2013, 11:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Tripe.

Way too short to even scratch the surface of the argument.
Old May 26th 2013, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
– but the state spends about Dh14,000 on each expat per year.
I would love to know what they UAE state does with my 14k, because I'm not seeing any of it!

My only thought is that this is on the provision of local services (street lighting, cleaning etc...) when split by head of population???

The figure would be meaningful if there was also a figure for the amount the state spends per annum on each local, and the economic benefit derived by the state per expat and per local - that would make interesting reading.
Old May 26th 2013, 11:52 am
Banned

nateusa will become famous soon enoughnateusa will become famous soon enough

all i want from expats to say what the first bloke commented on.
Old May 26th 2013, 12:16 pm
Big Member

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
I would love to know what they UAE state does with my 14k, because I'm not seeing any of it!

My only thought is that this is on the provision of local services (street lighting, cleaning etc...) when split by head of population???

The figure would be meaningful if there was also a figure for the amount the state spends per annum on each local, and the economic benefit derived by the state per expat and per local - that would make interesting reading.
I think municipality tax on the DEWA bills covers that.

I have no issue with these 'hidden' taxes...my feeling is that the students have no idea about what expats contribute in taxes (cut out the alcohol here and see how much the tax coffers go down...the markup is astounding on alcohol...not to forget how much Dubai Duty Free makes on booze).

The bigger issue is that they just seem to think that all expats are Europeans/Americans/Aussies, they forget the vast majority are low-income workers.

Last edited by NorthernLad; May 26th 2013 at 12:20 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.