Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The British Isles, Great Britain and the UK

The British Isles, Great Britain and the UK

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:13 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default The British Isles, Great Britain and the UK

Aaarghh! Just reading the "Is Britain really united" thread and horrified at the gross ignorance, so here's an explanation of terms:

"The British Isles" is a geographic term describing the set of islands. It includes ALL of Ireland, the "main island" of Great Britain + Shetlands, Orkneys, Isle of Man, etc. The Channel Islands however are outside this geography.

"Great Britain" is the largest island of the group and includes most of the land mass of England, Scotland and Wales. It is also a geographic term.

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" is a political term describing the sovereign state. It includes the six counties of Northern Ireland which are not part of Eire and the vast majority of the other islands in the British Isles. Some of the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man however are not in fact part of the UK but dependencies with loyalty to the British monarch.

For mathematicians, here it is as a Venn diagram:

Added note: red text is geographical, blue is political

Last edited by ctfc; Jun 22nd 2010 at 9:32 am. Reason: extra info
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:28 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The British Isles, Great Britain and the UK

Originally Posted by ctfc
Aaarghh! Just reading the "Is Britain really united" thread and horrified at the gross ignorance, so here's an explanation of terms:

"The British Isles" is a geographic term describing the set of islands. It includes ALL of Ireland, the "main island" of Great Britain + Shetlands, Orkneys, Isle of Man, etc. The Channel Islands however are outside this geography.

"Great Britain" is the largest island of the group and includes most of the land mass of England, Scotland and Wales. It is also a geographic term.

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" is a political term describing the sovereign state. It includes the six counties of Northern Ireland which are not part of Eire and the vast majority of the other islands in the British Isles. Some of the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man however are not in fact part of the UK but dependencies with loyalty to the British monarch.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nn_Diagram.png
So, why is England and Wales in one rugby ball when they have separate teams??? And everybody else are is in footballs, like init????
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:32 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
So, why is England and Wales in one rugby ball when they have separate teams??? And everybody else are is in footballs, like init????
The jocks suck more at rugby. And it would appear all constituent parts suck pretty much equally at football.

Last edited by ctfc; Jun 22nd 2010 at 8:36 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:35 am
Down and out

Originally Posted by Roadking
The site I pinched the pic from has more detail. It's to do with England and Wales having the same legal system (despite the attempts of the Welsh Assembly and Plaid Cymru), whilst Scotland has a separate legal system.

Last edited by ctfc; Jun 22nd 2010 at 8:39 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:36 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Wales is a principality, or something. In cricket, England is actually England and Wales.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:11 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
In cricket, England is actually England and Wales.
And law.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:19 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nn_Diagram.png
Horrified you may be, but I think you pinched this off the wrong website.

So, the Isle of Wight isn't part of Great Britain?
"It includes the six counties of Northern Ireland which are not part of Eire and the vast..." as opposed to the other counties of Northern Ireland which are part of Eire?

And I'm not a mathematician--am I allowed to read the Venn thingy, or should I look away now?
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:28 am
Down and out

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Horrified you may be, but I think you pinched this off the wrong website.

So, the Isle of Wight isn't part of Great Britain?
"It includes the six counties of Northern Ireland which are not part of Eire and the vast..." as opposed to the other counties of Northern Ireland which are part of Eire?

And I'm not a mathematician--am I allowed to read the Venn thingy, or should I look away now?
It was only the Venn diagram I pinched.

Your statement is correct - the Isle of Wight isn't part of Great Britain. "Great Britain" is just the main island. The Isle of Wight is however part of the UK and part of the British Isles.

The same is true for Anglesey, Isle of Sheppey, Lundy, Skye etc.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:31 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where's Cornwall?

Dammit we of the Cornish blood deserve to be recognised.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:35 am
Hit 16's

It was only the Venn diagram I pinched.

Your statement is correct - the Isle of Wight isn't part of Great Britain. "Great Britain" is just the main island. The Isle of Wight is however part of the UK and part of the British Isles.

The same is true for Anglesey, Isle of Sheppey, Lundy, Skye etc.
Geographically you're right, politically I'm right (because GB is both a geographic and a political term--otherwise you couldn't have UK=GB+NI). However, I think Canvey Island should be treated differently...
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:37 am
Down and out

Point taken, should have just read "six counties of Ireland", though northern with a small "n" would have done it since Ulster has nine counties and only six are part of the UK and the northernmost one is part of Eire.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

So how does Little Britian fit into all of this?
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:52 am
Hit 16's

We'll call it a draw then.

I made these explanations so many times when I lived in Japan; the words they have are Eikoku and Igirisu, which mean more-or-less anything you want. So out came the pen and beermat, and crude maps trying to explain UK. Don't think any of them had heard of Wales. They'd have got the Venn diagram, though.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:30 am
Down and out

We'll call it a draw then.

I made these explanations so many times when I lived in Japan; the words they have are Eikoku and Igirisu, which mean more-or-less anything you want. So out came the pen and beermat, and crude maps trying to explain UK. Don't think any of them had heard of Wales. They'd have got the Venn diagram, though.
And we're all dirty gaijin who smell of sour milk anyway
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:51 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
So how does Little Britian fit into all of this?
...and the Isle of Dogs, mate?
....and does CTFC stand for Cheltenham Town FC or Crawley Town FC?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.