Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Is Britain really united?

Is Britain really united?

Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

VivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura about
Default Is Britain really united?

I being English came into conversation with a Welsh person.

I was very surprised when she told me.esp knowing I was English,that the Welsh don't like the English. What a bloody cheek.

Is this true and how about Scotland and Ireland?
I am leaving out the British Isles,since I am not sure anyone posts from there but I apologise if I am wrong and would like your input too.

I thought we were all united. Am I wrong.?
Old Jun 21st 2010, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Britain really united?

Everyone hates the English! apart from the Americans who think we have quaint accents, but then we hate the Americans so who cares about them!

The Scots, Welsh and Irish hate us because we invaded their country ( as well as pretty much everywhere) and tried to call it our own, I thought this was pretty much common knowledge.

But in reality isnt it a case of we just all take the piss out of each other, don't think we all 'HATE' each other anymore ( although mind what pub you go into in Northern Ireland) or maybe its just if your a girl with good boobs you get welcomed everywhere!

Although I am going to a wedding in Wales in Sept where I'm maid of honor and have been warned the grooms mates are intent on marrying (cough cough) me to breed out the english! We'll see about that!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Scots have tribalism tendencies. The Welsh were conquered, oh, say, 800 years ago so not sure what their problem is. But both resent the English because England is much richer and all the bright Scots and Welsh have to go to England to amount to anything.

All in all, the British have a strong history of disliking everything outside their familiar little world. Even so called progressive Londoners dislike everyone and everything outside London. The rest of England dislikes London, the North dislikes the South, the South dislikes the North. Scotland is too far removed from most of England to register on English people's radar, which is the real reason why Scotland dislikes England because they can't stand that they aren't important enough to be of interest to most people south of the border.

Originally Posted by VivDee

I was very surprised when she told me.esp knowing I was English,that the Welsh don't like the English. What a bloody cheek.

I am leaving out the British Isles,since I am not sure anyone posts from there but I apologise if I am wrong and would like your input too.

Old Jun 21st 2010, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I being English came into conversation with a Welsh person. I was very surprised when she told me.esp knowing I was English,that the Welsh don't like the English. What a bloody cheek.
As we used to say in Bristol...they should have built a wall and not a bridge...to keep all those marauding sheep-shaggers out. Seriously, I personally like the Welsh, respect the Scottish and am indifferent to the Northern Irish. From my experience, even England is not united in the true sense of the word. Many southerners distrust Scousers and Mancunians, fear the Geordies and ridicule the Brummies, while many northerners despise Cockneys . As for the Tykes, they are a breed all to themselves.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

I just hate everyone.....................unless they are WEST Yorkshire!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:41 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
But both resent the English because England is much richer and all the bright Scots and Welsh have to go to England to amount to anything.

. Scotland is too far removed from most of England to register on English people's radar, which is the real reason why Scotland dislikes England because they can't stand that they aren't important enough to be of interest to most people south of the border.
I dont hate England, however it does spawn arrogant assholes...

You obviously know very little about Scotland and Scottish people to post such utter bile.

but im sure your after a bite
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:57 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The Scots have tribalism tendencies. The Welsh were conquered, oh, say, 800 years ago so not sure what their problem is. But both resent the English because England is much richer and all the bright Scots and Welsh have to go to England to amount to anything.

All in all, the British have a strong history of disliking everything outside their familiar little world. Even so called progressive Londoners dislike everyone and everything outside London. The rest of England dislikes London, the North dislikes the South, the South dislikes the North. Scotland is too far removed from most of England to register on English people's radar, which is the real reason why Scotland dislikes England because they can't stand that they aren't important enough to be of interest to most people south of the border.

I always assumed that this 'hate' was more for effect or is a political stance rather then one against individuals. More of a dislike of a sterotype or a stereotypical attitude than anything else. Anything else is clearly ridiculous or an inferiority complex.

It's just the same as me stating that I hate the Germans, meaning as a concept and for their history, but liking most of the individual Germans that I have met.

-
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
As we used to say in Bristol...they should have built a wall and not a bridge...to keep all those marauding sheep-shaggers out. Seriously, I personally like the Welsh, respect the Scottish and am indifferent to the Northern Irish. From my experience, even England is not united in the true sense of the word. Many southerners distrust Scousers and Mancunians, fear the Geordies and ridicule the Brummies, while many northerners despise Cockneys . As for the Tykes, they are a breed all to themselves.
Offa had it right...............
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 5:28 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Offa had it right...............
Didn't he build a wall to keep out the lesbians? I don't think I was fully paying attention that day at school.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 5:28 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal
I just hate everyone.....................unless they are WEST Yorkshire!
I hate everyone in West Yorkshire.........................unless they're from Ilkley.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 5:30 am
Hit 16's

How can you be leaving out the British Isles when England, Wales and Scotland ARE the British Isles?
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 5:58 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
How can you be leaving out the British Isles when England, Wales and Scotland ARE the British Isles?
Quite

This VivDee claims to be English but has such a poor command of the language that I doubt it.

I am very much looking forward to find out where these 'Britsh Isles' are supposed to be.

-
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:05 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Meow
Quite

This VivDee claims to be English but has such a poor command of the language that I doubt it.

-
You're joking, right, Meow? Before coming out here a year-and-a-half ago I worked in UK for 10 years for various big companies--the standard of literacy displayed there was appalling, with not only a total uncomprehension of the rules of grammar but also widespread use of unidiomatic phrases.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:23 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
I dont hate England, however it does spawn arrogant assholes...

You obviously know very little about Scotland and Scottish people to post such utter bile.

but im sure your after a bite
I'm with Commander (funnily enough..).

If you are after a bite, its a good lure you have put out..

If that is what you honestly think, then you are the stereotypical English fckwit that we hate....
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 7:03 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely the British Isles includes all of Great Britain Are you possibly thinking of the Isles of Man and Wight and possibly the Channel Isles as constituting the "British Isles"? Surely that cannot be right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.