Suits

Old Jun 21st 2017, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Suits

Afternoon Y'all....

I need some knowledge from you chaps and chapettes.

I have a few weddings to go to before the end of the year and I'm thinking about getting a new suit. My problem is that I despise wearing suits and know pretty much FA about them. I don't have to wear them for work so generally I don't feel comfortable in them and I don't think I look good in them. However, all that said and done, I've never had a decent suit either so think that maybe part of the problem.

Normally for weddings I wear a designer kilt ensemble but they're becoming silly money to rent and one of the weddings is a Sikh wedding in London so not exactly fitting / easy to get there and back from the rental place I use in Scotland.

Physique wise, I'm not the tallest 5'10'' on a good day, average build but quite broad in the shoulder, slim (ish - a few Kg over but not noticable), blue eyes, originally brown rapidly greying hair (silver fox), dresses to the right on weekdays....

So my queries are:

1. What style should I be looking at bearing in mind it has to be a bit timeless as I won't be buying another for a few years. But I'd like something nice too.

Ps. remember I don't know one style from another.

2. What colour should I be going for? As I don't need it for work it will be purely for weddings and posh events so don't really want to go too dark.

3. What material should I go for when considering looks, ease of upkeep, price?

4. Should I be looking in store or should I take a trip into Karama / Satwa?

5. Has anyone got any places they can recommend?

6. How much should I be paying for: a suit, a few shirts to match plus accessories (cuff links, pocket square thing etc?

7. Any other questions I should be asking.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suits

sikh wedding huh...oh ma'an you'll have a blast...they get absolutely bladdered in their weddings
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

get a two button blazer - not a 3 button...3 buttons are so damn ancient
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

if it's your first proper suit, i'd get one tailor made.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

'Regal' in Karama are awesome tailors and they have all the suit and shirt material in house...i highly recommend them.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing but a morning suit (and hat!) will suffice !!
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
sikh wedding huh...oh ma'an you'll have a blast...they get absolutely bladdered in their weddings
This aint my first Sikh rodeo! I was best man at what Masala magazine billed as 'Dubai's Sikh wedding of the year'.....

get a two button blazer - not a 3 button...3 buttons are so damn ancient
Noted

if it's your first proper suit, i'd get one tailor made.
That's what I was thinking but...... how does one go about this? As I say, I haven't a clue whats good and whats bad. Do I take in a picture...?
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Nothing but a morning suit (and hat!) will suffice !!
Again, I feel I may have to reiterate, I don't know the difference between a morning suit and a monkey suit!
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jam25mack
This aint my first Sikh rodeo! I was best man at what Masala magazine billed as 'Dubai's Sikh wedding of the year'.....
daymmmm!at I was thinking but...... how does one go about this? As I say, I haven't a clue whats good and whats bad. Do I take in a picture...?
you can either take in a pic with you, or when you get to the tailors they will run through with you the various styles and show you pics etc, they will advise you on everything, well at least I know Regal will, they are a professional outfit, and highly regarded in the 'upper' desi circle
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

you can either take in a pic with you, or when you get to the tailors they will run through with you the various styles and show you pics etc, they will advise you on everything, well at least I know Regal will, they are a professional outfit, and highly regarded in the 'upper' desi circle
That's kind of my issue tho. They will run through everything with me.... but I don't know whats good or bad, fashionable, old fashioned, just plain wrong etc. E.g. Are turn ups still out? I'm guessing so. You said 3 buttons is bad.... and i'm like OK....

I think I need a checklist!
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Just go to a decent tailor (if you have the time and energy) they will help you or else get an off the peg (Ralph Lauren actually do some decent suits and takes 30 mins from entering to leaving the shop!)
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

as a starting point, why don't you go visit a suit shop or somewhere like Bloomingdales (ie a reputable men's clothing outfit) and try on the various styles and see which suits you/you like and then take it from there.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

https://www.google.ae/search?q=men%2...h&q=mens+suits
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Kachin's on Bank Street or Whistle and Flute behind the Iranian hospital are both decent. get a second pair of trousers made
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
So my queries are:

1. What style should I be looking at bearing in mind it has to be a bit timeless as I won't be buying another for a few years. But I'd like something nice too.For me, classic as possible. 2 button, normal width lapel, single / double vent on back - I have a mixture but prefer single,
lighter, fun but not cunty lining, just nice.

Ps. remember I don't know one style from another.

2. What colour should I be going for? As I don't need it for work it will be purely for weddings and posh events so don't really want to go too dark.
Again, personally, I love a blue suit. Darker but can be punchy. I have a beautiful dark navy Prince of Wales that I love...I haven't many with a pattern though, like plain.

3. What material should I go for when considering looks, ease of upkeep, price?Erm, preference again. Shiny is bad. Generally most decent are pure wool I expect.

4. Should I be looking in store or should I take a trip into Karama / Satwa?
I used to be sold on Satwa and the boys at Viva Style Lounge,
BUT....unless you're really specific at fittings and careful, you can end up needing more adjustments as you settle into it.
As you're (no offence) Jo Average in height and build, you could easily buy off the peg in a decent shop.....which is what I've started doing again because they are as good as tailored suits but possibly even better than some of teh recent ones I've had made.

5. Has anyone got any places they can recommend?Tailor made - go to Viva Style Lounge in Satwa. If you want, I'll come with and we can get a Ravi's too. I haven't been in a while but they will remember my chiseled good looks and aggressive bargaining. Probably 1500-2000 total. 600 or something for tailoring, non-neg. Rest is just how much material you need and the quality you want. I've had some for cheap but they can look it, I've also had them for north of 2000 with two trousers.

OR

TM Lewin. I just can't fault them. I love their shirts and I'm wearing today one of their sexy numbers. A blue one, well fitting, slim trouser, great. The trousers come in long length and they tailor to your preference. Good suits for sensible money, last a long time and look sharp. Probably 1500-2000 for a nice one?

6. How much should I be paying for: a suit, a few shirts to match plus accessories (cuff links, pocket square thing etc?Suits.
See above.

Shirts - I like TM Lewin shirts. They're good, slim fit, full cutaway collar so you can tie a Windsor knot.

Cuff links, get plain or gimmicky but just not shit. I've got One Pence pieces on today.

Pocket square, go wild, anything you want. Your one chance to be mental. I have a book of possible folds. It's lovely.

Wear a belt if you wish, I sometimes do sometimes don't. I think it's cunty to be one of those people who refuse or think you shouldn't. It's just choice.

7. Any other questions I should be asking.For my invoice for the above consultation?

Thanks in advance.
Answers / Opinions above.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.