Bloody greengrocer's

Old May 13th 2013, 12:27 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bloody greengrocer's

Quite a witty article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22403731
Old May 13th 2013, 12:31 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bloody greengrocer's

I saw that and was going to post it to all the grammar police on here.

And I have no idea what a split infinitive is either!

(to boldly go where no man has gone before).
Old May 13th 2013, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The infinitive is "to" plus the base form, eg "to go".

An adverb is used to modify or change a verb. It often ends in "-ly" (eg Kix thinks slowly.)

If you stick an adverb in between the "to" and the "go" you have split the infinitive. Some grammar freaks think this is naighty, innit ?
Old May 13th 2013, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

Comment about the Oxford Comma is annoying

"Guardian style guide gives this example to highlight its use: "I'd like to thank my parents, JK Rowling, and Martin Amis" (without Oxford comma, statement implies writer is offspring of Rowling and Amis)"

No it doesn't.

The reason the Oxford Comma is an unneccesary addition is because the comma is effectively a punctuation conjunction so why have two?
Old May 14th 2013, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abi31

"Guardian style guide gives this example to highlight its use: "I'd like to thank my parents, JK Rowling, and Martin Amis" (without Oxford comma, statement implies writer is offspring of Rowling and Amis)"

No it doesn't.

The reason the Oxford Comma is an unneccesary addition is because the comma is effectively a punctuation conjunction so why have two?
The Oxford comma has long being a bone of contention, but that is because I live near Cambridge, and I am biased...
Old May 14th 2013, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abi31

No it doesn't.

Comma not needed before 'and' but that's the only unnecessary one in that sentence. I'm always conscious of altering the meaning though - so I would move 'my parents' to the end.

The split infinitive often sounds better..........

I suppose I should read that article now.
Old May 14th 2013, 6:23 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Most grammatical difficulties can be resolved by re-casting the sentence. I learnt that a long time ago.
Old May 14th 2013, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

From the OP's Beeb link ; the "Bargain Shop" sign should read either:
Lady's wear or Ladies' wear , right?
Old May 14th 2013, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Most grammatical difficulties can be resolved by re-casting the sentence. I learnt that a long time ago.
That's just a lazy sly work around, and I use it, when I am not soo lazy as to say eff it alltogether

'Course the proper course of action would be to remedy the original sentence composition with proper grammer but I've been outa college for awhile so am quite rusty.

Last edited by Boomhauer; May 14th 2013 at 6:51 am.
Old May 14th 2013, 7:10 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Comma not needed before 'and' but that's the only unnecessary one in that sentence. I'm always conscious of altering the meaning though - so I would move 'my parents' to the end.

The split infinitive often sounds better..........

I suppose I should read that article now.
That's exactly the argument about the 'Oxford comma'. There are times when it is useful to avoid any ambiguity.

Using a split infinitive sometime sounds better so that is an issue of style.

The misuse of the apostrophe drives me nuts, but my current bugbear is the incorrect use of the reflexive pronoun. For some reason many people seem to think it sounds posher. It doesn't. It just makes you look as if you can't write correctly.

Last edited by Meow; May 14th 2013 at 7:15 am.
Old May 14th 2013, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
That's exactly the argument about the 'Oxford comma'. There are times when it is useful to avoid any ambiguity.

Using a split infinitive sometime sounds better so that is an issue of style.

The misuse of the apostrophe drives me nuts, but my current bugbear is the incorrect use of the relfexive pronoun. For some reason many people seem to think it sounds posher. It doesn't. It just makes you look as if you can't write correctly.
Example?
Old May 14th 2013, 7:15 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Example?
Myself and my husband

My friend and myself

etc

*winces*
Old May 14th 2013, 7:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Myself and my husband

My friend and myself

etc

*winces*
Ooh, good one...I have a mate who sticks 'self' on the end regularly to try and sound ultra formal.

Grammar doesn't bother me too much, I get most things right without thinking but definitely get some things wrong. That's life.

What does annoy me is the really basic shit;

Your
You're
There
Their
They're

Those, mainly on facebook, end up in a shitty comment and someone being removed.
Old May 14th 2013, 7:53 am
Hit 16's

Myself and my husband

My friend and myself

etc

*winces*
The train companies (and the airlines?) go one better, with the announcement towards the end of the journey: "On behalf of myself and the crew, Shit Trains wish to thank..."
And when I'm travelling by train, I'm not a customer I'm a ****ing passenger.

And regarding re-casting the sentence being the lazy way out: bollocks. If you have to fiddle with punctuation and end up with an unnatural or unidiomatic form, or worse--something that is ambiguous--then re-cast.
Old May 14th 2013, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And of course, as someone on here has pointed out before, capital letters are very important............ especially if you are texting your best mate to tell him you have just helped your Uncle Jack off a horse...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.