Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Best & Worst Places for Expats 2017

Best & Worst Places for Expats 2017

Old Sep 10th 2017, 12:17 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best & Worst Places for Expats 2017

Originally Posted by Scamp
Mental isn't it. The services 'provided' by big firms just gets weirder and weirder.
I have to put a spake in for RBS. I've been a long-time customer and this on-again off-again on-again off-again business with the sale to Santander and then the spin-off as Williams & Glynn has been weird. However, all through I have always found their customer service, especially their phone line (located I think in Scotland, natch) to be superb. Accurate, efficient, friendly. Backed up with excellent in-branch service last week (not even my own branch).

I guess the fact that this is worthy of note says something (as does the fact that this is the second latterly much-abused iconic British company that I have been fawning about in less than a week...).
Old Sep 10th 2017, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
I have to put a spake in for RBS. I've been a long-time customer and this on-again off-again on-again off-again business with the sale to Santander and then the spin-off as Williams & Glynn has been weird. However, all through I have always found their customer service, especially their phone line (located I think in Scotland, natch) to be superb. Accurate, efficient, friendly. Backed up with excellent in-branch service last week (not even my own branch).

I guess the fact that this is worthy of note says something (as does the fact that this is the second latterly much-abused iconic British company that I have been fawning about in less than a week...).
Good to hear.
My dealings with Lloyds, especially their international / offshore bit and the sharedealing / trading account has always been great.
Even my 'normal' UK account with them goes to a UK call centre where they're beyond polite....'Mr Scamp is it OK to call you Scamp or do you prefer Mr Scamp?' (one day they'll learn I don't give a shit and until my Dad's dead, he's Mr Scamp).
Old Sep 11th 2017, 4:11 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
In all the bars in all the world.....
There is even a Rick's Cafe down near the docks in Casablanca, if you want to indulge your Humphrey Bogart-isms
Old Sep 11th 2017, 8:03 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
There is even a Rick's Cafe down near the docks in Casablanca, if you want to indulge your Humphrey Bogart-isms
Was meant to be there last weekend, but has now been re-scheduled. Don't know if I can hire a white DJ...
Old Sep 11th 2017, 8:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Don't know if I can hire a white DJ...
Racist.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 8:16 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Racist.
I wondered who'd be first!
Old Sep 11th 2017, 8:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I wondered who'd be first!
The white DJ in your utopia I assume?
Old Sep 11th 2017, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
I have to put a spake in for RBS..
This month was the first time I dealt with RBS (IoM) and its been an absolute disaster trying to arrange a mortgage with them - taken me 4 weeks to provide them with answers to questions such as why is my rental contract in Arabic and why is your credit card balance zero !

I rang my NBK branch, within 20 mins I was offered the mortgage and an offer for them to deliver the docs so I didn't have to come to the branch !

My wife opened a bank account in the UK and she has been very impressed with Metro.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 11:40 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

The white DJ in your utopia I assume?
Panic in the streets of Carlisle....
Old Sep 11th 2017, 11:44 am
...we killed the flame

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
This month was the first time I dealt with RBS (IoM) and its been an absolute disaster trying to arrange a mortgage with them - taken me 4 weeks to provide them with answers to questions such as why is my rental contract in Arabic and why is your credit card balance zero !

I rang my NBK branch, within 20 mins I was offered the mortgage and an offer for them to deliver the docs so I didn't have to come to the branch !

My wife opened a bank account in the UK and she has been very impressed with Metro.
My experience was with the bog standard RBS England high street bank (which I believe is different than RBS Scotland and certainly than the offshore branch).
Old Sep 11th 2017, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
I will second this, been with them since 2011 and have only good stuff to say about them.