Berlin

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Berlin

Going to Berlin this weekend. Last minute impromptu trip. Haven't been there since 2002 and memories are a bit hazy beyond a vague recollection of damn good art, damn good sausages, damn good beer and a mighty fine metro network and an overall eerie feel.

Any good suggestions for what to do in Berlin? I'm pleased the weather forecast is going to range between 20-26 (those are the highs).
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Berlin

I know you said these days are behind you but you may want to check out Berghain, a techno club with darkrooms that's notorious for it's random door policy. Ironically The Lab, which is in the basement, is less stringent but apparently the play is extreme in there.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 8:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Blue Crocodile bar or something. Was cool, pretend old bunker type vibe. Couldn't work out what was real - think the bunker bit was but keeping a croc wasn't.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Never was a clubber but did it look up and it looks awful. The bouncer? What a nightmare. He probably wouldn't let me in anyway. I don't look like a freak.

Originally Posted by Arnold S
I know you said these days are behind you but you may want to check out Berghain, a techno club with darkrooms that's notorious for it's random door policy. Ironically The Lab, which is in the basement, is less stringent but apparently the play is extreme in there.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

There's apparently an all dark bark with no lights on somewhere in Berlin. Could be intriguing.

Originally Posted by Scamp
Blue Crocodile bar or something. Was cool, pretend old bunker type vibe. Couldn't work out what was real - think the bunker bit was but keeping a croc wasn't.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
There's apparently an all dark bark with no lights on somewhere in Berlin. Could be intriguing.
Sounds cool, I like things that are a bit different, if they work.

We were a group of 7 or 8 Brits. As well dressed, polite and not-fighty as we all actually are / were....we didn't get to go to some of the nice looking places we'd hoped to.
Can't remember their names I'm afraid, but I do remember the nightlife being well spread out and a few decent length cab rides.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Yep. It's no Munich. City is quite sprawling with seemingly double of everything due to the East/West history, plus a rebuilt new downtown area.

I think I'll just eat lots of pork, especially pork sausages, drink good beer and walk around in cool weather and take in the dreary drab greyness that only the Germans can do so well. I already have one or two places to check out at night but was wondering if the bored knew of cool little interesting museums or activities to do? Or resto recommendations that involve many good German sausages?

Sounds cool, I like things that are a bit different, if they work.

We were a group of 7 or 8 Brits. As well dressed, polite and not-fighty as we all actually are / were....we didn't get to go to some of the nice looking places we'd hoped to.
Can't remember their names I'm afraid, but I do remember the nightlife being well spread out and a few decent length cab rides.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:20 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Anything here?

https://www.likealocalguide.com/berlin/things-to-do

Found this when we were thinking about going to Berlin next month
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

I've heard fantastic things about Berlin although I must say the constant Vice articles about the place (predominantly the club - Berghain) have put a slight dampener
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
I've heard fantastic things about Berlin although I must say the constant Vice articles about the place (predominantly the club - Berghain) have put a slight dampener
Berlin was selected because it was the cheapest non-stop European destination I could find from Qatar, it beat both Munich and Vienna by about 400 QAR.

That there's a naughty element to Berlin's nightlife is strictly a bonus. Strictly. But I will be on good behaviour.

Well. I hope so
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Many thanks madame. I will take a prowl through it.

What made you decide against Berlin at the end?

Originally Posted by hnd
Anything here?

https://www.likealocalguide.com/berlin/things-to-do

Found this when we were thinking about going to Berlin next month
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:29 am
Account Closed

Berlin was selected because it was the cheapest non-stop European destination I could find from Qatar, it beat both Munich and Vienna by about 400 QAR.
A benefit of being in Qatar.

We had to go with Air Berlin from Abu Dhabi and it was shit.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Barely. You have a much broader range of non-stop destinations from Dubai than we do in Qatar. Fly Dubai flies to Prague and Croatia non-stop now. And the ticket was still 3200 QAR. I could have gone through Turkey for 3/5 the price but it adds hours and it's Turkish Airways and Istanbul airport is a mess.

On the bright side, Qatar Airways is forever offering upgrades to business for fairly reasonable sums. I booked the flight Friday and this morning got an email offering to upgrade to business, 2,000 QAR each way.

Thought about it but the flight to Berlin is in the afternoon and arrives at 8ish Berlin time, so scratch that. Return leg is 10:30 PM Berlin arriving in DOH at 5:30 AM and was tempted but 2,000 is a bit for a 6.5 hour flight.

At least with China it's 9 hours each way and the upgrade was only 1450 QAR....

A benefit of being in Qatar.

We had to go with Air Berlin from Abu Dhabi and it was shit.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Jul 23rd 2017 at 12:22 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 12:11 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks madame. I will take a prowl through it.

What made you decide against Berlin at the end?
Decided against because, like a lot of places, it's a pain to get to from Muscat and for this holiday we only want direct flights.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm now willing to pay extra for non stop these days. Hate layovers.

I don't think you're missing much. There's nice things to see, including several wonderful art / antiquities museums and the royal palace complex at Potsdam but most of the city is drab, dreary postwar / EU postmodern bureaucratic drabness and with a weird population. It's hugely popular among hipsters these days (explains it all) but Munich is probably the best city in Germany.

Originally Posted by hnd
Decided against because, like a lot of places, it's a pain to get to from Muscat and for this holiday we only want direct flights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.