Bee hive in garden

Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:33 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bee hive in garden

As it says got a bee hive hanging off a tree in the garden.
Anyone know how I can get rid of the bees without tainting the honey inside and yes I've checked they are Arabian honey bees and yes I've searched the inter webs. But short of beemagedon I ain't searching through 20 million pages of use pif paf liberally to find the one that teaches me how to keep the honey edible?

Failing any ideas does anyone know of someone stupid enough to just grab the hive and brush the bees off for me
Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:54 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bee hive in garden

Sorted:

Bee hive in garden-baseball-bat.jpg

Bee hive in garden-haz.jpg
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:39 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

how about cornflour? It's fine enough to suffocate small insects... but yeah, I'm not volunteering to trial it out.

Or... try smoke.
http://beehive-in-my-bathroom.blogspot.com/
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking about insects the other day- as you do, I'm quite surprised there are bees here as you would think there isn't naturally enough pollen here- so do they come in because of all the planted flowers and where do they come from? Are they on holiday? And of we have bees why are there no wasps- I haven't seen a wasp since I've been here.

AND do we have worms here? And if so do they have to add the worms as obviously worms wouldn't naturally live in the sand below the soil. And If not what are the birds pecking at in the soil?

And if we are adding worms and bees to a habitat that they wouldn't naturally be in surely that has to end in some kind of red squirrel becoming endangered type scenario...

Also where are all the flies- is it just too hot for them? and why do we only get mosquitos in Winter- again surely it isnt too hot for them?

You know sometimes my head actually hurts with this stuff!
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:44 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I was thinking about insects the other day- as you do, I'm quite surprised there are bees here as you would think there isn't naturally enough pollen here- so do they come in because of all the planted flowers and where do they come from? Are they on holiday? And of we have bees why are there no wasps- I haven't seen a wasp since I've been here.
plenty of pollen, thousands of local plant species in the region, date palms are a major source. so no not on holiday, honey has been collected here for at least 7000 years. wasps, plenty they just look different.

AND do we have worms here? And if so do they have to add the worms as obviously worms wouldn't naturally live in the sand below the soil. And If not what are the birds pecking at in the soil?
oh my god

And if we are adding worms and bees to a habitat that they wouldn't naturally be in surely that has to end in some kind of red squirrel becoming endangered type scenario...

Also where are all the flies- is it just too hot for them? and why do we only get mosquitos in Winter- again surely it isnt too hot for them?
no flies? really

actually i was going to answer more but frankly my head hurts now so best i can suggest is spending some time outdoors, about 30 mins should answer all your questions oh and see http://www.enhg.org/

dear god......
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:45 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
great, can i borrow your gimp suit then
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:47 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
how about cornflour? It's fine enough to suffocate small insects... but yeah, I'm not volunteering to trial it out.

Or... try smoke.
http://beehive-in-my-bathroom.blogspot.com/
thats the problem i like honey tasting honey not sandlewood or pot puri tasting honey, thx though.

if i can get bahts gimp suit ill try the cornflour
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
great, can i borrow your gimp suit then
Looks more like a corrupted Stig to me....
Old Sep 13th 2011, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kittycat1

If you stayed in a villa with a garden you would see all of the abvoe on a regular basis (although I admit I've not seen any worms or squirrels here) - flies are generally not around during the summer, but come back when it starts to cool down a bit. Mosquito's again, don't see them much around during the summer.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

No idea.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar problem earlier this year (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715807) and looked in vain for an apiculturalist who would come and take the hive, rather than annihilate it.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 11:31 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
thats the problem i like honey tasting honey not sandlewood or pot puri tasting honey, thx though.

if i can get bahts gimp suit ill try the cornflour
well, if you like the honey, why not live with them and harvest it? I'm sure they aren't looking for a fight really, but a lot would depend on size and location.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

winter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to all

Plenty of mosquitoes where I live in May/June, not in my apartment, but when I visit my local. My local very close to where I live.

Last edited by winter; Sep 13th 2011 at 6:16 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

I had a few bee hives taken down by the gardeners in my compound, and the honey was really good!
Do you have gardeners where you live? If so, i am sure they can do it for you.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winter

Plenty of mosquitoes where I live in May/June, not in my apartment, but when I visit my local. My local very close to where I live.
My theory is that flies need rotting matter to feed off and lay eggs in, and it's so hot here that nothing rots, it just dessicates. I doubt that there are even the bacteria necessary to rot stuff in the soil. For instance, all the dead leaves from the plants in my garden never rot away, they just dry up.

As for mosquitos, I imagine that the lack of standing water (in which they breed) is why there aren't many.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.