Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Bali death sentence for English grannny

Bali death sentence for English grannny

Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bali death sentence for English grannny

So she has been sentenced to death by the Bali justice system. Thoughts people? Does she deserve the death sentence?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...into-suitcase/
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 6:24 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bali death sentence for English grannny

Originally Posted by kittycat1
So she has been sentenced to death by the Bali justice system. Thoughts people? Does she deserve the death sentence?

Well on the bright side she wont have to return to Redcar
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kittycat1

No, but I am against the death penalty in general, regardless the crime. It's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, to not be effective in stopping crime. Having watched my share of locked up abroad, I think she is a moron, but probably some rather unpleasant elements behind her. She stated her kids were in danger somewhere else, but I am always quite critical of the stories these mules come out with..my suspicion is they are opportunists most of the time.

Having said that, if you are stupid enough to smuggle drugs in countries with the death penalty for such actions, I have little sympathy. Say what you what about laws, but they are there for a reason and breaking them does not come risk free and the consequence if caught is death. I'm curious though, how much of that $2.5 million did she get promised.

But ultimately, a waste of life and quite depressing for her, her family and her friends.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 6:52 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
No, but I am against the death penalty in general, regardless the crime. It's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, to not be effective in stopping crime. Having watched my share of locked up abroad, I think she is a moron, but probably some rather unpleasant elements behind her. She stated her kids were in danger somewhere else, but I am always quite critical of the stories these mules come out with..my suspicion is they are opportunists most of the time.

Having said that, if you are stupid enough to smuggle drugs in countries with the death penalty for such actions, I have little sympathy. Say what you what about laws, but they are there for a reason and breaking them does not come risk free and the consequence if caught is death. I'm curious though, how much of that $2.5 million did she get promised.

But ultimately, a waste of life and quite depressing for her, her family and her friends.
It's all very strange. There are claims she isn't well mental health wise, her being blackmailed, and then there's the lenient sentences given to the others in the ring. And the reason given...drug trafficking damages tourism? Surely barbaric justice being meted out inconsistently puts more people off...
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
It's all very strange. There are claims she isn't well mental health wise, her being blackmailed, and then there's the lenient sentences given to the others in the ring. And the reason given...drug trafficking damages tourism? Surely barbaric justice being meted out inconsistently puts more people off...
You would think so. If anything, easily available drugs pleases tourists. I'm sure Amsterdam will not be as popular anymore with the new residents card.

But yes, a mule is merely a pawn in these things..and taking down one is going to do nothing to stop the supply. Smuggling drugs in SEA is not very high on my list of things to do before I die however. The amount of these mules that have even been set up to distract the customs guys is pretty remarkable.

If you watch a handful of the locked up abroad episodes, it really paints a rather unpleasant experience most of these mules have had. Some of them do come across as harmless opportunists who somehow manage to get involved with some pretty serious gangster types.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:22 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
You would think so. If anything, easily available drugs pleases tourists. I'm sure Amsterdam will not be as popular anymore with the new residents card.

But yes, a mule is merely a pawn in these things..and taking down one is going to do nothing to stop the supply. Smuggling drugs in SEA is not very high on my list of things to do before I die however. The amount of these mules that have even been set up to distract the customs guys is pretty remarkable.

If you watch a handful of the locked up abroad episodes, it really paints a rather unpleasant experience most of these mules have had. Some of them do come across as harmless opportunists who somehow manage to get involved with some pretty serious gangster types.
Makes me think it's all just show for the phony war on drugs. The big gangsters seem to be able to carry on without being touched. The worldwide drugs industry is enormous, worth something like 400 billion US dollars.

Anyway, I think and hope she'll have her sentence reduced on appeal. They rarely execute anyone these days.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:34 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
She is the unlucky current token example IMHO.
She is not an outstanding Oxbridge student with connections in the right places.
She is certainly not a professional drugs mule- or - an opportunist becos she lives in Redcar. The whole world knows the UK is suffocated/smothered in illicet substances so even if her life revolved round the WRI,she would still have passive knowledge of the culture.
I believe she may well have been coerced into 'stitching the stuff into the lining of her case' by certain people.I would wager those people who 'forced her' probably are her current co-accused's.FFS...sniffer dogs would have been on that quicker than a ho on a gasman at the Ally Pally...
She is expendable.

She has broken the law.
In Indonesia,she is a Mrs Nobody.
Her legacy will be she ' may' cause some people to think twice- but soon there will be another Mrs Redcar.....Indonesia Tourism ticks the box.
I hope her kids appreciate what she did for love.No doubt in my mind she did
what she did to get them to a better place.Simples.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

claimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fossildog
Well on the bright side she wont have to return to Redcar
She probably will, only it'll be in a box.

Hopefully, she'll get it turned around, you never know what some people will do in desperation, and we'll never be sure of the truth.

As per usual, the mule gets it, but she was caught red handed.

In a country that dishes out the death penalty to its own for small amounts of personal, it's no shock really.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

5 KG of cocaine !!!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:28 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
5 KG of cocaine !!!
5k????
Wouldn't like to be on your list.
3.75 @ right surely?
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:35 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Sorry, but she was caught, she knew the risks, look into the background.
OK, she was the "Mule", she knew what was going on.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

claimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by scot47
5 KG of cocaine !!!
Parrrrrrrrrrdy!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:47 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kix
Sorry, but she was caught, she knew the risks, look into the background.
OK, she was the "Mule", she knew what was going on.
Keeping it simple- yes- she was caught.
Many others have been caught in possession.
She has been sentenced to death.
Many others caught in possession recently have been sentenced to prison for moderate periods of time.

The O.P is asking if the death penalty is appropriate...
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Eva
Keeping it simple- yes- she was caught.
Many others have been caught in possession.
She has been sentenced to death.
Many others caught in possession recently have been sentenced to prison for moderate periods of time.

The O.P is asking if the death penalty is appropriate...
What Kix has stated is correct. What has happened to others is irrelevant. English law may follow case law, but out there it's a throw of the dice every time, for exactly the same crime.

So, in simple terms yes, it warrants the death penalty. In humanitarian terms, no it certainly does not.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 11:07 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by claimsboys
What Kix has stated is correct. What has happened to others is irrelevant. English law may follow case law, but out there it's a throw of the dice every time, for exactly the same crime.

So, in simple terms yes, it warrants the death penalty. In humanitarian terms, no it certainly does not.
Well with a three judge jury it's always going to be down to a toss of a coin.
I am really not saying anything different from Kix if you read my posts however I do not think K.kat was hoping/ looking for a reply apropos Blackstones- only comments perhaps on why,given the mitigating circumstances,this innocous person(-among the drug world glitterati) should be condemned to death.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.