Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The "Axis of Evil" Pub/Restaurant Crawl

The "Axis of Evil" Pub/Restaurant Crawl

Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default The "Axis of Evil" Pub/Restaurant Crawl

Some of my old rugby mates are threatening to come over for the 7s and, while here, try out their latest idea, and want to know if it's feasible........ the idea is to do a tour of restaurants from countries that are, basically, evil regimes

The idea is (random example):
6.30pm - bar (one drink)
7.00pm - Iranian restaurant (first course)
7.45pm - different bar (two drinks)
8.30pm - (North) Korean restaurant (second course)
etc.... etc.... etc....

Their question is: can it all be done on foot (they'll never stay together if they get into taxis) and in a manageable time frame? (They did it in London apparently, somewhere in the Shepherds Market-Piccadilly area).

I'm assuming Karama/Bur Dubai is the best bet, but are there enough of the right kind of restaurants to meet the 'axis of evil' criteria? Stand-alone restaurants, as opposed to restaurants in hotels, are OK apparently (I've explained about no booze).

Can it be done?
Old Sep 5th 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The "Axis of Evil" Pub/Restaurant Crawl

Remember the North Korean Restaurant is in Deira near City Centre!
Old Sep 5th 2012, 5:14 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Some of my old rugby mates are threatening to come over for the 7s and, while here, try out their latest idea, and want to know if it's feasible........ the idea is to do a tour of restaurants from countries that are, basically, evil regimes

The idea is (random example):
6.30pm - bar (one drink)
7.00pm - Iranian restaurant (first course)
7.45pm - different bar (two drinks)
8.30pm - (North) Korean restaurant (second course)
etc.... etc.... etc....

Their question is: can it all be done on foot (they'll never stay together if they get into taxis) and in a manageable time frame? (They did it in London apparently, somewhere in the Shepherds Market-Piccadilly area).

I'm assuming Karama/Bur Dubai is the best bet, but are there enough of the right kind of restaurants to meet the 'axis of evil' criteria? Stand-alone restaurants, as opposed to restaurants in hotels, are OK apparently (I've explained about no booze).

Can it be done?
Karma/Bur Dubai I would say would be your best bet, the issue of timing would be poor/slow service and everyone knowing quickly exactly what they want, sounds good though.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 6:22 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you (we?) first need to define the countries which qualify. You've got two obvious ones, but I guess you might need to do a bit of time travel for others to qualify.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to the fun, is there a kosher restaurant in Dubai yet?
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Afghanistan, Syria, I think Pakistan can be definitely added to the list.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 3:30 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Just to add to the fun, is there a kosher restaurant in Dubai yet?
Kosher and Halal are par for the same course.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Oh ****. This is such a good idea.

Lemme dig out my spreadsheet of bars in Bur Dubai / Deira when we did a pub crawl around the filth.

(Ended up in an Afghani kebab house near the Seaview)
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

Lemme dig out my spreadsheet of bars in Bur Dubai / Deira when we did a pub crawl around the filth.

I love the rock band at the Seaview
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mentalist
I love the rock band at the Seaview
That bassist.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:28 am
Account Closed

This was the list compiled for the stag do. Helpfully, each has a sort of description in terms of nation....

•Kuya Bar, Nihal hotel, Al Maktoum St (Filipino band)
•Garage, Ramee International, Nasser Sq (African)
•Manila 365, Ramee Guestline, Al Rigga St (Filipino band)
•Red Square night club, Moscow Hotel, Al Maktoum St (Russian, lively, but cover charge)
•Moulin Rouge, Broadway Hotel, Rigga Al Buteen St (bizarre, but has to be seen)
•Rasputin Club, Al Khaleej Holiday suites, Al Rigga St (Russian and laid back)
•Blues and Cues, Ramada Continental, Abu Hail Rd (Indian sports bar with live indian band)
•Cricketers, Ramada Continental, Abu Hail Rd (Sports bar, good for a break from the music)
•El Rancho, Marco Polo, Al Muteena St (mexican bar)
•Sheble, Royal Falcon Hotel, Muraqabad Rd opp Reaf Mall (african)
•Harry's place, Renaisance, Saluhaddin Rd (Sports bar)
•Chamelion, Traders Hotel, Abu Baker Al Siddique St (cocktail bar)
•Marines Club, Seaview hotel, Al Mina Rd, Bur Dubai (Filipino, great bass player !)
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I can see where this is heading...........

Just to make sure my mates don't have a wasted journey, the BE boys have volunteered to do a road test to see if it's viable..........

Scamp can be Logistics Manager, Norm can research oppressive regimes, etc, etc........ if anyone can arrange for the whole thing to finish in a bar where there are suitably accommodating young ladies from a combination of all the countries we've 'visited', that individual will be very popular indeed..........
Old Sep 6th 2012, 12:38 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

This was the list compiled for the stag do. Helpfully, each has a sort of description in terms of nation....

•Kuya Bar, Nihal hotel, Al Maktoum St (Filipino band)
•Garage, Ramee International, Nasser Sq (African)
•Manila 365, Ramee Guestline, Al Rigga St (Filipino band)
•Red Square night club, Moscow Hotel, Al Maktoum St (Russian, lively, but cover charge)
•Moulin Rouge, Broadway Hotel, Rigga Al Buteen St (bizarre, but has to be seen)
•Rasputin Club, Al Khaleej Holiday suites, Al Rigga St (Russian and laid back)
•Blues and Cues, Ramada Continental, Abu Hail Rd (Indian sports bar with live indian band)
•Cricketers, Ramada Continental, Abu Hail Rd (Sports bar, good for a break from the music)
•El Rancho, Marco Polo, Al Muteena St (mexican bar)
•Sheble, Royal Falcon Hotel, Muraqabad Rd opp Reaf Mall (african)
•Harry's place, Renaisance, Saluhaddin Rd (Sports bar)
•Chamelion, Traders Hotel, Abu Baker Al Siddique St (cocktail bar)
•Marines Club, Seaview hotel, Al Mina Rd, Bur Dubai (Filipino, great bass player !)
You r the man!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rowell
You r the man!
I stole that list from an email for the night out.

There are some quality places on there though. Don't remember which ones we went to though...probably most of them.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 1:15 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I stole that list from an email for the night out.

There are some quality places on there though. Don't remember which ones we went to though...probably most of them.
So when, then?

4th or 5th October good for me, unless we want to make it a school night (and so not have to deal with hordes of subcons nursing one beer all night)...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.