Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Australia or New Zealand

Australia or New Zealand

Old Feb 27th 2018, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia or New Zealand

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I generally try not to get drawn into pointless what if type discussions but how could I resist you.
Pointless to you. But quite a few expats seem to debate the prospects of emigrating to Australia and even NZ. Both are perennially popular holiday destinations as well.

Where would you like to end up, Millhouse?
Old Feb 27th 2018, 11:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Pointless to you. But quite a few expats seem to debate the prospects of emigrating to Australia and even NZ. Both are perennially popular holiday destinations as well.

We get so many people internally applying who have this 1990's view of Australia, including: you earn 2.5 times the amount but the cost of living is the same and it's permanently sunny and there's no brown people because they got immigration right and it's really cool and there's no health and safety police and they have the Daily Mail so it's the place for me.

It's hilarious.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest trying King Island (Australia) or Stewart Island (New Zealand).
I wonder which island Expats prefer?
Old Feb 27th 2018, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Australia: a good reason not to emigrate there:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...hool-lunchbox/
Old Feb 27th 2018, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Australia: a good reason not to emigrate there:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...hool-lunchbox/
Well, in reality more people die from the heat in Australia (depending where you are of course).
Old Feb 27th 2018, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Buried at sea. Before then, I've not fully decided - most likely Southern Europe (and closing in on Spain), but Thailand, California or Panama also options. All have merits and downsides.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Buried at sea. Before then, I've not fully decided - most likely Southern Europe (and closing in on Spain), but Thailand, California or Panama also options. All have merits and downsides.
California is the odd one out. If you're able to sort out the residency requirements I'd have thought Florida would be a better fit if you liked Thailand and Panama (Panama? What attracts you to Panama?).
Old Feb 27th 2018, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

California is the odd one out. If you're able to sort out the residency requirements I'd have thought Florida would be a better fit if you liked Thailand and Panama (Panama? What attracts you to Panama?).
Panama - the ability to hide. Cheap healthcare and good weather.

California - civilised - very unlikely though as it’s miles away and expensive healthcare probably rules it out.

Realistically, it’s probably a permanent home in Spain with extended breaks in Thailand over winter.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, I've been thinking panama too, but not to hide, but for the amazing Marlin and Sailfish fishing, but then i wonder when I'll get bored with that and want to wander again (probably one season).

Oh and i once watched "The Tailor of Panama", so it's all James Bond stuff really.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Realistically, it’s probably a permanent home in Spain with extended breaks in Thailand over winter.
A solid choice, or you opt for the Canaries as a year round option.
Dad did a Greek island for summer and left for the Canaries for the colder, quieter winter Greek months. I never visited the latter but he assured me it wasn't totally hateful....
Old Feb 27th 2018, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
A solid choice, or you opt for the Canaries as a year round option.
Dad did a Greek island for summer and left for the Canaries for the colder, quieter winter Greek months. I never visited the latter but he assured me it wasn't totally hateful....

Canaries was initially my first choice (and still not ruled out) but the issue is island living. Certainly a Marbella/Canaries split isn't terrible. There are advantages to not staying in any single country too long which may rule this idea out.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

Canaries was initially my first choice (and still not ruled out) but the issue is island living. Certainly a Marbella/Canaries split isn't terrible. There are advantages to not staying in any single country too long which may rule this idea out.
He liked the trips between, almost always drove it but eventually just had cars in both. Canaries full time wasn't ever the end game though, it was Crete instead.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

California
Apart from taxes etc., you are probably the first Brit to mention good weather in Panama. Most Brits are only focused on sunshine hours, so Panama wouldn't be an option for them. After all, Panama City is less sunnier than Portsmouth on average, but good choice. David is a lot sunnier but also very wet.

I also prefer The Costa Brava in Spain, but again wouldn't be an option for most Brits.

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 27th 2018 at 2:07 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 8:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

I think you might find NZ a bit stodgy, home baked and low-budget by comparison.
I was thinking the same.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Only been to one city in one of them but it was pretty sick.

Kiwi's seem better people though, on the whole....but NZ is apparently the Wales of the Southern hemisphere, so I'd probably end up in Australia. It appears that more Kiwi's go there than Aussies to Auckland / Wellington / Christchurch etc so must be better.
15% of all New Zealand Citizens live in Australia . . . compared to 0.05% of all Australian Citizens who live in New Zealand.

Traditionally the economy and job market have been a lot stronger in Australia compared to New Zealand.

Two very, very different countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.