Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Article 50 signed and delivered

Article 50 signed and delivered

Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Article 50 signed and delivered

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
FYI as a child of a professor and who grew up in a University town, you can *always* find a professor or 'expert' to say anything you want. Doesn't mean they're 'right'.
I always take professor's opinions with a pinch of salt especially following this fiasco -

On another note, SNP are living in a fantasy land. There is not much demand for a 2nd indyref and with the Conservatives hot on their heels (led by an amazing Ruth Davidson), I wouldn't be surprised if they haemorrhage seats at the next election..

PS. Happy A50 Day!

Last edited by ExpatAl; Mar 29th 2017 at 9:11 am.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Already hitting them with the trade.

Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the bored camp.

Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Who is relieved?

Relieved at what? relieved that a letter has made it across the Channel? Relieved that the world didn't end last night?
Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
Who is relieved?

Relieved at what? relieved that a letter has made it across the Channel? Relieved that the world didn't end last night?
I have a friend who would definitely have ticked relieved. There was a lot of fear that brexit wouldn't actually happen by those who voted for it for the wrong reasons.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

That we're just moving forward.

My mum falls into this category.

I suspect most of the relieved are people who were afraid that somehow Brexit would be overruled, and people who are just ready to move forward to put behind the divisiveness of the referendum.

Scamp;12215939]Who is relieved?

Relieved at what? relieved that a letter has made it across the Channel? Relieved that the world didn't end last night?[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Already hitting them with the trade.
That's cos the British, for some reason, seem mad on fizzy Italian plonk Lambrusco as was, Prosecco as is.

Last edited by IKnowNothing; Mar 29th 2017 at 9:58 am.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I have a friend who would definitely have ticked relieved. There was a lot of fear that brexit wouldn't actually happen by those who voted for it for the wrong reasons.
Mhmmm. Yup.

That we're just moving forward.

My mum falls into this category.

I suspect most of the relieved are people who were afraid that somehow Brexit would be overruled, and people who are just ready to move forward to put behind the divisiveness of the referendum.
It's like putting your hands on the armrests, preparing to get up. Our seat is firmly in the EU chair still with a long way to go. I hope it is sorted quite quickly and amicably with the EU so the world can move on....however....The divisiveness is not going anywhere sadly, IMHO.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Eh.

It takes more energy to be angry than it is to accept the status quo and get on with life. Very few people were personally affected by Britain being in the EU, as a share of the population. We didn't take advantage of the freedom of movement or working or studying on the continent in the same numbers that came in the other way. Far more of us became expats outside the EU. And it won't affect foreign holidays or retiring to Spain. If the economy turns out to only be negligibly affected then few people will remember being in the EU at all. Sure, there will be some bitter folks in Islington and those who dream of a glorious neoliberal world order but those folks would have always been bitter if we'd never been in the EU to start with. Flash forward 5-10 years from now all this will be barely remembered. It won't be anything like the lingering hatred for Maggie Thatcher in parts of Britain.

Scotland is the more problematic issue in perpetuating the divisiveness but that is in Scotland, not in rUK and the situation is not quite tit for tat - the SNP were always going to press for independence even if we'd never been in the EU at all.

Mhmmm. Yup.

It's like putting your hands on the armrests, preparing to get up. Our seat is firmly in the EU chair still with a long way to go. I hope it is sorted quite quickly and amicably with the EU so the world can move on....however....The divisiveness is not going anywhere sadly, IMHO.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Mar 29th 2017 at 10:08 am.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Sir Tim Barrow has delivered the letter to Donald Tusk
Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:16 am
Account Closed

Eh.

It takes more energy to be angry than it is to accept the status quo and get on with life. Very few people were personally affected by Britain being in the EU, as a share of the population. We didn't take advantage of the freedom of movement or working or studying on the continent in the same numbers that came in the other way. Far more of us became expats outside the EU. And it won't affect foreign holidays or retiring to Spain. If the economy turns out to only be negligibly affected then few people will remember being in the EU at all. Sure, there will be some bitter folks in Islington and those who dream of a glorious neoliberal world order but those folks would have always been bitter if we'd never been in the EU to start with. Flash forward 5-10 years from now all this will be barely remembered. It won't be anything like the lingering hatred for Maggie Thatcher in parts of Britain.

Scotland is the more problematic issue in perpetuating the divisiveness but that is in Scotland, not in rUK and the situation is not quite tit for tat - the SNP were always going to press for independence even if we'd never been in the EU at all.
The problem is, that's all total speculation and 'it'll be alright' sort of thinking. Some us can / want to think that way, some can't / don't want to.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

You're a youngster, Scamp. Eager, bushy eyed.

I'm 36. I'm old.

I'm a bit more pragmatic, due to life experiences Every single doom and gloom forecast in my entire life has come to....nought. What did not happen were accurate predictions for the collapses that did occur.

The problem is, that's all total speculation and 'it'll be alright' sort of thinking. Some us can / want to think that way, some can't / don't want to.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

the last referendum cost around 18 million. How can she justify such an expense for an advisory referendum?
Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:54 am
Account Closed

You're a youngster, Scamp. Eager, bushy eyed.

I'm 36. I'm old.

I'm a bit more pragmatic, due to life experiences Every single doom and gloom forecast in my entire life has come to....nought. What did not happen were accurate predictions for the collapses that did occur.
Old AND patronising
Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Of course

You'll understand in due time. The one upside of getting older

Old AND patronising

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.