aprt repairs

Old Aug 22nd 2016, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default aprt repairs

Hi Folks
just a quick question......I have a leak in our apartment in our kitchen....it is coming from the water tank which supplies to our sink. Our building maintenance team came in and switched off the hot water valve to stop the leak and they said the water tank needs replacing.
Would the cost of this be down to me or my landlord?
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: aprt repairs

Landlord..... good luck getting it though!
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 10:44 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Landlord and that is by law.

The damn things seem to go every few years and we've had numerous replaced, always by the landlord.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 10:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'd suggest letting the landlord know first that it's broken and needs replacing. That way there's no shock when the bill comes and you can try to get his agreement to pay as I'm sure some will want to swerve the responsibility.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

thanks folks....i am just in the middle of getting a couple of quotations so that i can email them to the letting agency to forward onto the landlord.

my other half says not to bother to get it repaired & hence bring it to the landlord's attention, since it only supplies hot water to the sink and we get luke warm water as it is anyway, and we will be moving out come November. The landlord won't know since the dewa will be switched off by the time we hand over the aprt. Sneaky i know, but i would rather avoid bringing it to his attention in case he refuses to pay and then deducts it from my deposit.

the landlord is a complete d*ck - reason why i want to move out.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Meow
Landlord and that is by law.

The damn things seem to go every few years and we've had numerous replaced, always by the landlord.
in all my time over here, i have never had this happen in any of the previous apartments i have lived in.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
in all my time over here, i have never had this happen in any of the previous apartments i have lived in.
very common. I reckon I've had about 4 done over the years.
Typically 850-1000 fitted for a new one. Depending on how much access they have to it and if some of ceiling is needed to be cut out.

I'd move out and leave it with him...
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Options:

1. Get it fixed, ask for money. Might get it, might not. If the LL is a knob then unlikely?
2. Ask him to fix it. If he refuses, you can argue it's his responsibility...but you know you can live without it. Move out and hope he doesn't try deducting it from deposit.
3. Ask him to fix it, he fixes it.
4. Say nothing. Move out. Hope he doesn't notice and you get the deposit back.

To me, as much as I dislike being dishonest or deceitful, option 4 looks pretty solid.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:50 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the beginning of a B Movie.

Mission "Oh Mr Landlord , i am all wet can you come fix my leak, and i have no money to pay for repairs"
Landlord "I am sure there is another way we can fix this the problem"
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Living without hot water at the moment is doable if you don't mind not having hot water to wash dishes and lukewarm showers.

But come October the water in the pipes will probably noticeably cool and you're doomed to cold showers for a while.

The UAE standard seems to be if the repairs are under 1,000 (or 500 AED) then the tenant pays for it. If it's above it then the landlord (if a good one) pays.

If Millhouse's estimates are correct then quibbling over a few hundred AED is probably not worth the inconvenience versus going without hot water for three months.

Originally Posted by Scamp
Options:

1. Get it fixed, ask for money. Might get it, might not. If the LL is a knob then unlikely?
2. Ask him to fix it. If he refuses, you can argue it's his responsibility...but you know you can live without it. Move out and hope he doesn't try deducting it from deposit.
3. Ask him to fix it, he fixes it.
4. Say nothing. Move out. Hope he doesn't notice and you get the deposit back.

To me, as much as I dislike being dishonest or deceitful, option 4 looks pretty solid.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Living without hot water at the moment is doable if you don't mind not having hot water to wash dishes and lukewarm showers.

But come October the water in the pipes will probably noticeably cool and you're doomed to cold showers for a while.

The UAE standard seems to be if the repairs are under 1,000 (or 500 AED) then the tenant pays for it. If it's above it then the landlord (if a good one) pays.

If Millhouse's estimates are correct then quibbling over a few hundred AED is probably not worth the inconvenience versus going without hot water for three months.
If it were me I'd just pay for it and send the Landlord the bill and argue a bit if needed.

I've paid for new AC controls, a new actuator (I think) and other bits that I might have got the LL to do as they were either shit or broken. Not bothered claiming any of it because I'm lazy, my names not on the agreement (it's the Mrs and I know asking her to do it will result in her just offering to pay instead of fussing the LL who's an absolute gem of a bloke) and I don't mind spending a bit of cash because it's ammo at the end to get the full deposit back.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:49 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
If it were me I'd just pay for it and send the Landlord the bill and argue a bit if needed.

I've paid for new AC controls, a new actuator (I think) and other bits that I might have got the LL to do as they were either shit or broken. Not bothered claiming any of it because I'm lazy, my names not on the agreement (it's the Mrs and I know asking her to do it will result in her just offering to pay instead of fussing the LL who's an absolute gem of a bloke) and I don't mind spending a bit of cash because it's ammo at the end to get the full deposit back.
That literally makes ZERO sense, i am guessing your deposits is 5k. Lets say you spent 1,000, whats the point.

I will spend money to get my money back. You are a complete weapon!
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iggle
That literally makes ZERO sense, i am guessing your deposits is 5k. Lets say you spent 1,000, whats the point.

Fine. I'll bite.

Typical commercial type attitude. Can't see beyond the numbers and can't read properly.

I don't mind spending money to keep the place I live in a decent state of repair. If it's north of 1,000 we won't pay it.

If it's south of 1,000 I can handle that for a number of reasons.
One reason is that it's useful when negotiating because it demonstrates that I'm a rational, normal human being who has the capacity to understand that looking after the apartment not owned by me. When negotiating rent each year if you can wave 1,000 bill to make the rent rise by 2,000 instead of 3,000 for example it helps. If you can demonstrate the maintenance at the end of tenancy then it certainly can help your claim to a full deposit back.

Anyway, that's all intangible and sensible and based on the experiences I've had with landlords here who are reasonable and sensible human beings.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle

I've always tried to rent places where the building owner and management company is all the same person. Never deal with private landlords here, it's too much of a mixed bag of shit.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 8:04 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
Then you have had bad landlords and have rolled over. No question that this kind of thing is the landlord's responsibility.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.