Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Old Feb 24th 2013, 2:43 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Originally Posted by shiva
Nothing in isolation, global warming cultists!

Wow your scientific illiteracy is stunning. I'd start with quantum physics and black holes and go on from there if I were you
Ah yes, black hole came out in full isolation. That's very relevant to the topic.

This black hole business is just another theory. There is no more evidence of this theory than there is on existence of god and this theory may be equally stupid in 100 years as the theory that the Earth was flat is stupid today. You are operating within the limits of the knowledge available today and only a very limited mind can deem these theories to be final and eternal. Nasa admitted they know little about the sun, the only source of heat on this planet and yet we are to accept computer models that predict climate 100 years from now. These are no better than HFT gambling models used by hedge funds. They work until they don't.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 2:44 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

I think it's time most of you stopped trolling.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 2:44 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
That's beside the point. The point is to define the limit where atheists / liberals / whatever do start telling people how to behave.

I can't give you a reason. I can't give you any belief nor would I try.
1) read the post
2) so you expect me to provide proof for something you can't and won't give me any reason or evidence to believe in. Really? That's your answer?
You don't have or are unwilling to offer a single reason why having faith might be beneficial to me
Old Feb 24th 2013, 2:56 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Let's say I am not considerate and want to walk completely naked. So what will you do:

a) nothing as you are tolerant and non-judgmental

b) something that implies your non-acceptance of such behavior?

I really couldn't care less if you want to walk around naked, although I suspect it isn't a pretty sight. I however, am considerate enough to appreciate that others may find it offensive, so for that reason alone would ask you to cover up. I see no benefit to society in deliberately offending people.

Of course, you simply sound like an old pervert now. Are you sure you aren't a Catholic priest?
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, black hole came out in full isolation. That's very relevant to the topic.

This black hole business is just another theory. There is no more evidence of this theory than there is on existence of god and this theory may be equally stupid in 100 years as the theory that the Earth was flat is stupid today. You are operating within the limits of the knowledge available today and only a very limited mind can deem these theories to be final and eternal. Nasa admitted they know little about the sun, the only source of heat on this planet and yet we are to accept computer models that predict climate 100 years from now. These are no better than HFT gambling models used by hedge funds. They work until they don't.
I hardly know where to begin with this one.

Give me one single piece of evidence for the existence of god? A simple web search should give you hundreds if not thousands of papers with evidence of black holes.

The beauty of science is that it is not final nor ever pretends to be unlike religious dogma. Science looks at evidence and adjusts in light of new evidence constantly. Religion has never done so since it has always avoided the tricky issue of evidence.

NASA has never said it knows little of the sun, it may have said there is still a lot to learn but that is an entirely different thing. Lets not even get into the fact that there are other sources of heat on the planet that exist entirely independent of the sun.

Regarding global warming we are now well beyond mere predictive models, the sheer volume of data has established that we are in a period of warming. Given that this rate is now higher than any time identifiable in the geological record the overwhelming majority of scientists are now pretty certain that this is man made. Any Internet memes and "anti" propaganda are just that, the scientific community is pretty united on this one which in and of itself is a pretty big indicator in a community that thrives on disagreement and diametrically opposed opinion
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

1) read the post
2) so you expect me to provide proof for something you can't and won't give me any reason or evidence to believe in. Really? That's your answer?
You don't have or are unwilling to offer a single reason why having faith might be beneficial to me
I think the only valid answer is that it's cheaper than a lobotomy
Old Feb 24th 2013, 3:00 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Meow
I think the only valid answer is that it's cheaper than a lobotomy
The side effects and long term damage to yourself and those around you seems to be far worse though. Ill take the lobotomy option please
Old Feb 24th 2013, 3:25 pm
Banned

1) read the post
1) I did. It is still beside the point.
2) I don't expect to you to prove anything. This is not something that can be proven.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 3:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Meow
I really couldn't care less if you want to walk around naked, although I suspect it isn't a pretty sight. I however, am considerate enough to appreciate that others may find it offensive, so for that reason alone would ask you to cover up. I see no benefit to society in deliberately offending people.

Of course, you simply sound like an old pervert now. Are you sure you aren't a Catholic priest?
Aha, we are down to personal insults. Weakness of the argument rearing its ugly head.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 3:27 pm
**** it we'll do it live

1) I did. It is still beside the point.
2) I don't expect to you to prove anything. This is not something that can be proven.
Ok so don't prove anything just give me one single example of how it might be beneficial in anyway
Old Feb 24th 2013, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
It's not exclusively "Christian morality"; that's the point. So Christianity adopted some good ideas from elsewhere and packaged them rather neatly (many hundreds of years after the death of its founder it must be said). What many of us are objecting to is the branding of those morals as "Christian". Christians did not invent them, they are not the only ones who (claim to) practice them and the rest of us are fed up with their stupid unwarranted self-righteousness about them.

You don't have to go back very far to find slavery, apartheid, blasphemy, religious wars, pogroms, witch-burning, inquisitions and lots of other nastiness all being very much part and parcel of Christian morality. Those things were conveniently dropped but they have been part of the package over most of Christianity's history. So keep your disgusting "Christian morality" thank you very much.

Indeed Christians (and most other religions) have to justify the basis of morality on some childish reward and punishment basis. Properly evolved people don't need that silliness but we are nevertheless content to tolerate Christians following our humanist morality since it makes them better co-members of our species.
Excellent response but something for DD to ponder (perhaps). The origin of morals has been well studied and researched, you can find many many scientific papers on it/them and they/it dates back to caveman days. As an example 'Thou shalt not kill', self evident in prehistoric times because if you killed (and that person would be someone in the tribes relative) you would be ostracised from the tribe which was not a good thing in those days. No group protection, access to food, water, shelter etc. So it was a no no.

Now as for the rest of the 'christian morals', well if you read the bible you'll see many many things mentioned lets say just as an example the stoning to death of adulterers. So when combing through the bible for your morals how do you choose which ones are OK and which aren't? Because we see this cherry picking going on and it very clearly indicates that we all of us have a moral compass, we are all able to distinguish right from wrong without the necessity of it being written in a book somewhere. We have developed our laws based on our societies morals and code of conduct, nothing to do with the mumbo jumbo written in the bible.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 3:34 pm
Banned

I hardly know where to begin with this one.

Give me one single piece of evidence for the existence of god? A simple web search should give you hundreds if not thousands of papers with evidence of black holes.
Papers with evidence of black holes only work in the context of the assumptions made at this point of time. It's assumptions based on assumptions. No more an evidence than hundreds of philosophical papers discussing existence of god.

The beauty of science is that it is not final nor ever pretends to be unlike religious dogma. Science looks at evidence and adjusts in light of new evidence constantly. Religion has never done so since it has always avoided the tricky issue of evidence.
Ah yes, this why global warming cultists insist the debate is completed, non-conformists are deniers and this is it.

NASA has never said it knows little of the sun, it may have said there is still a lot to learn but that is an entirely different thing. Lets not even get into the fact that there are other sources of heat on the planet that exist entirely independent of the sun.
Aha, it's not that we don't know much but we have a lot left to learn. Sorry, but I see no difference.

Tell me, how much in % terms do 'other sources of heat' contribute to the warming of the earth?

Regarding global warming we are now well beyond mere predictive models, the sheer volume of data has established that we are in a period of warming. Given that this rate is now higher than any time identifiable in the geological record the overwhelming majority of scientists are now pretty certain that this is man made. Any Internet memes and "anti" propaganda are just that, the scientific community is pretty united on this one which in and of itself is a pretty big indicator in a community that thrives on disagreement and diametrically opposed opinion
Sure we are. We have gone from global cooling to global dimming and now global warming. All based on bearded chaps telling computer models to give them a desired answer.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redShark
I have a question to those who are on about the Burden of proof: Could some body prove to me the existence of the human mind? I can't see it, smell it, or touch it. Every body is adamant about its power and its existence, so where the hell is it?
This 'argument' is as disingenuous as asking someone to prove what love is. You can google the answer to both those questions, there are 100's of websites on the subjects.
Whereas religion and existence of a god when you google that, well pretty scant (read zero) empirical scientific evidence but lots of faith based statements.
The problem for atheists, if they could be bothered to put in the work, is that it's almost impossible to prove a negative. For example if we stated that the hills in Oman do not contain gold, you'd have to shovel through every pound of sand and stone before you could demonstrate conclusively that there is no gold.

One interesting thing that has emerged from scientific study is that the 'god' is now a god of the gaps. So as science provides evidence for things like the weather not being controlled by a god and a specific dance won't invoke rain so the gaps that a god can inhabit get smaller and smaller.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm not convinced about global warming you know.

I get DDs point that we can only be sure of the things we know and in X years we will know more and may look back thinking how silly we were.

BUT (I've made that quite simple) that just shouts Science to me rather than Jesus....
Old Feb 24th 2013, 3:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by mikewot
Now as for the rest of the 'christian morals', well if you read the bible you'll see many many things mentioned lets say just as an example the stoning to death of adulterers. So when combing through the bible for your morals how do you choose which ones are OK and which aren't? Because we see this cherry picking going on and it very clearly indicates that we all of us have a moral compass, we are all able to distinguish right from wrong without the necessity of it being written in a book somewhere. We have developed our laws based on our societies morals and code of conduct, nothing to do with the mumbo jumbo written in the bible.
You don't know your stuff. There are three examples of stoning as punishment recorded in the New Testament. One of adulterers was stopped by Jesus and the other two were stoning by the mob of apostles Stephen and Paul. Hardly a recommendation for stoning, mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.