Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:18 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
That wasn't the point. The point was that there is no reason to reject Christian morality as even most of the atheists are following it almost to the letter.

One can argue whether the notion of sinless conception is silly or whether it is possible to raise from the grave. These are trivial matters most likely invented or blown out of proportion while re-telling the tales. One can argue about the fallibility and shortcomings of the Church, any organisation manned by humans is fallible and imperfect even though many claim otherwise. However, few points will remain:

1. the existence of a supreme deity has not been proven nor dis-proven. many tried, nobody succeeded.
2. i do not believe that you or anyone else have enough evidence to come to a definite conclusion in relation to sources / mechanisms of human spirituality and matters of after-life. you have beliefs in this respect which are equal to other beliefs in relation to availability of scientific proof.
3. there is nothing wrong with Christian morals preached today. There is ample evidence that destruction of many traditional values is hurting the society. Many values are being adhered to by most.

Mind you, I am a rational guy, Christian by tradition but not by practice (except in certain family traditions and morals). I believe my assessment is rational and hard to flaw.
Why is it that the burden of truth for the religious lies soley with the non believer.
Surely the burden should be on proof of god not his glaring absense for the last few millennia. Apart from anything else I'd like to know where god was between the evolution of man around 100,000 years ago and when he turned up at the earliest 12,000 years ago for most modern religions around 2,000 years ago. That's a long time to be AWOL. #justcurious
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Apart from anything else I'd like to know where god was between the evolution of man around 100,000 years ago and when he turned up at the earliest 12,000 years ago for most modern religions around 2,000 years ago. That's a long time to be AWOL. #justcurious
Surely you know that the entire universe is just 6032 years old?
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:20 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Meow
If certain behaviours are deemed Christian by believers that is incidental to why many atheists behave that way.
So what.

Until you can prove the existence of a deity, it does not exist. Ditto the Loch Ness Monster.
This is legal interpretation, not necessarily matching the metaphysical reality. Cavemen didn't have a clue about uranium and yet it did exist.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:21 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

1. the existence of a supreme deity has not been proven nor dis-proven. many tried, nobody succeeded.
Surely the burden of proof lies with the one making the claims? Not the one rejecting the claims as Atheists do.

3. there is nothing wrong with Christian morals preached today. There is ample evidence that destruction of many traditional values is hurting the society. Many values are being adhered to by most.

Mind you, I am a rational guy, Christian by tradition but not by practice (except in certain family traditions and morals). I believe my assessment is rational and hard to flaw.
Your assessment is based on the subjective nature of your upbringing,the Christian morals you grew up with are the foundations of your life and of course you feel most comfortable when you find them elsewhere. Anything outside of this is considered by you to be changes to this environment and hence by default not good.(in your eyes)

If you grew up with the flying spaghetti monster as your god you would similarly expound whatever values he had.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:23 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Cavemen didn't have a clue about uranium and yet it did exist.
What caveman claimed it existed?
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:23 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

So what.

This is legal interpretation, not necessarily matching the metaphysical reality. Cavemen didn't have a clue about uranium and yet it did exist.
So what - my thoughts on Christian claiming they are the moral arbiters.

That is not even an argument! It's not a legal interpretation, it's factual and logical. Your comment is ridiculous.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:26 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
What caveman claimed it existed?

Can you just imagine those neanderthals with their test tubes and bunsen burners?
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:29 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

So what - my thoughts on Christian claiming they are the moral arbiters.
We are moral arbiters for ourselves. For the rest there is laws and democratic process of bringing laws to life and we make sure our morals get through into real life. Surely you are a moral arbiter too, otherwise you don't believe in your own morals.

That is not even an argument! It's not a legal interpretation, it's factual and logical. Your comment is ridiculous.
Because you have no answer to it - it does not make it ridiculous.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:30 pm
Banned

Can you just imagine those neanderthals with their test tubes and bunsen burners?
People always make fun of themselves 50, 100 or 1000 years ago. In 50 years you will be at the receiving end with your own backwardness.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:34 pm
Bored liberal

We are moral arbiters for ourselves. For the rest there is laws and democratic process of bringing laws to life and we make sure our morals get through into real life. Surely you are a moral arbiter too, otherwise you don't believe in your own morals.

Because you have no answer to it - it does not make it ridiculous.
That's where you totally miss the point. There is nothing to be said about such a ridiculous comment.

You don't seen to fully understand the expression 'moral arbiter' and the general understanding of it as used in my previous post. We all should be responsible for our own actions, but certain groups hold themselves up as the guardians for the behaviour of others, whether wanted to not. That's exactly what organised religion does.

All this proves it is that it is impossible to debate with religious folk as they blindly accept the tenets of their faith and are unable to provide any evidence as to why they are right and everyone else is wrong.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:36 pm
Bored liberal

People always make fun of themselves 50, 100 or 1000 years ago. In 50 years you will be at the receiving end with your own backwardness.
So now you are damning me to hell?

Brilliant.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Is it not coincidence that being a good chap is similar to being a good Christian / Muslim / Hindu?

Being decent and not being a dick surely pre-dates religion?
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Religions are all a load of shite. I behave decently, and respect people the way they treat me. It makes life easy. Piss me off, and I'm your worst enemy, but if you are generous, and put up with my flawed nature, then you have a friend for life.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:42 pm
Banned

So now you are damning me to hell?

Brilliant.
Not really, but surely you appreciate you will be outdated just like cavemen.

You (not only you) speak of burden of proof. Some things are impossible to prove or dis-prove even in modern sciences like for example economy there are theories which are subject to people's beliefs because due to non-deterministic nature of the system it is not possible to develop accurate models as to how things will develop if x happens or y happens. Global warming climate models are the same. Philosophy is taking this non-deterministic nature to an even higher level. This is why people have beliefs.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Religions are all a load of shite. I behave decently, and respect people the way they treat me. It makes life easy. Piss me off, and I'm your worst enemy, but if you are generous, and put up with my flawed nature, then you have a friend for life.
So you're an Old Testament kind of guy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.