Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Another White Elephant?

Another White Elephant?

Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:29 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another White Elephant?

Having read that the RTA are only now considering the commissioning of market research to determine who (if anyone) will use the Metro system, my gut feeling is that it may well prove to be a waste of money...just another useless status symbol. Like the Bangkok Skytrain, where locals cannot afford the prices and where they cannot be bothered to climb the umpteen dozen steps from ground level to the platform, I fear that few people here will bother with it. Maybe office workers travelling between Deira and Bur Dubai will find it useful, but looking at the SZR layout, how are people supposed to access the beach front hotels from the other side of the road? Construction workers will continue to use their free bus transport. As the horrendous traffic congestion here needs to be resolved, I will be happy to be proved wrong so please feel free guys and gals to go ahead and make my day.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another White Elephant?

The wife loves elephants. Yet to see a white one though...

Last edited by admon; Apr 15th 2008 at 10:41 am.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Only in Dubai could they build the thing before researching whether anyone will actually use it
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:44 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Having read that the RTA are only now considering the commissioning of market research to determine who (if anyone) will use the Metro system, my gut feeling is that it may well prove to be a waste of money...just another useless status symbol. Like the Bangkok Skytrain, where locals cannot afford the prices and where they cannot be bothered to climb the umpteen dozen steps from ground level to the platform, I fear that few people here will bother with it. Maybe office workers travelling between Deira and Bur Dubai will find it useful, but looking at the SZR layout, how are people supposed to access the beach front hotels from the other side of the road? Construction workers will continue to use their free bus transport. As the horrendous traffic congestion here needs to be resolved, I will be happy to be proved wrong so please feel free guys and gals to go ahead and make my day.
I thought they would extend it from Dubai to Abu Dhabi!
That would be very usefull especially for Friday brunches, tourists and people going to work.
They can have 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th class. It would be very popular!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
I thought they would extend it from Dubai to Abu Dhabi!
That would be very usefull especially for Friday brunches, tourists and people going to work.
They can have 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th class. It would be very popular!
they have been mooting building an emirates high speed rail network.
but that would require cooperation between the Emirates so will believe it when they start construction
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:01 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
they have been mooting building an emirates high speed rail network.
but that would require cooperation between the Emirates so will believe it when they start construction
But they are related arnt they? surely its just a matter of sitting down to a nice cuppa of coffee and a hubly bubbly and working something out maybe paying half each??
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

But they are related arnt they? surely its just a matter of sitting down to a nice cuppa of coffee and a hubly bubbly and working something out maybe paying half each??
In a rational world, that arguement works.
But with Abu Dhabi and Dubai 'competing' against each other for lots of things, one will not want to see the other benefit I would think...
Even though Abu Dhabi could buy and sell Dubai many hundreds of times over.
Maybe its a pride thing...
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by admon
In a rational world, that arguement works.
But with Abu Dhabi and Dubai 'competing' against each other for lots of things, one will not want to see the other benefit I would think...
Maybe its a pride thing...
plus Dubai is not going to make it easy for people to commute from Sharjah/Ajman to Dubai.

then people wouldn't have to pay the high Dubai rents
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:21 am
Account Closed

Only in Dubai could they build the thing before researching whether anyone will actually use it
My point exactly...not only the effectiveness of having a Metro system, but moreover the routes to be selected.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:22 am
Here comes the Sun

[QUOTE=admon;6211345]In a rational world, that arguement works.
Maybe its a pride thing...[/QUOTE

When I speak to people at home i have to say Dubai as no one has heard of Abu Dhabi!! ....
They have to have a rail link soon every other country has one!!

If that was the case I would build my link up to the border then have my fleet of taxis take people into town.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

They have to have a rail link soon every other country has one!!
Rational thinking and common sense just doesn't apply here
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by admon
Rational thinking and common sense just doesn't apply here
Yep I agree with you too...
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Rail link is more needed for freight purposes rather than passenger. It might possibly happen because of that. They need to get a lot of these dangerous trucks off the roads.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:39 am
Account Closed

The Rail link is more needed for freight purposes rather than passenger. It might possibly happen because of that. They need to get a lot of these dangerous trucks off the roads.
Can you please get a job at the RTA and sort these buggers out...
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lionheart
Can you please get a job at the RTA and sort these buggers out...
what have you got against me. you obviously want to kill me off if you suggest I try to get a job to sort out the transport problems here.

will leave land transport to others and stick to shipping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.