Another One Locked Up

Old Oct 7th 2017, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another One Locked Up

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Yes, correct. My subjective opinion is that young testosterone and alcohol filled male (and female?) Brits, are likely to switch to 'UK mode' in a situation like this and abuse the police/swear..... and then cr@p themselves when they find themselves being looked at lovingly by a sweaty Pattan (am I allowed to say that?) in a police cell
Post of the year.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Oct 7th 2017 at 6:20 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe anything indecent would happen in Rock Bottom!
Old Oct 8th 2017, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

Originally Posted by scot47
Why go to the UAE and spend your time in bars ? I think a lot of those visitors and migrant workers in the Gulf are totally out of their depth.
From the BBC report:

Mr Harron, who works as an electrician in Afghanistan and was on a two-day stopover in the United Arab Emirates
I'm not a huge drinker but after a long shift working in Afghanistan, I think I'd be tempted to blow off a bit as soon as I touched down in a city that offers tourists access to things like unlimited alcohol at brunches (something that would never be allowed in the UK).
Old Oct 8th 2017, 4:29 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Jordanians don't have wasta.
This is not necessarily true at all. Wasta works in many ways and is of many types. "Jordanians" are usually Palestinians, many of whom have been in Dubai for many years, perhaps even born here from refugee parents and may have very well connected jobs with royal families. There was a "don't you know who I am?" mentioned in the DM report....
Old Oct 8th 2017, 4:31 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

I've also been trying to visualise a scenario where you would touch a bloke on the hip to avoid contact: can't see it. Shoulder maybe but hip????

Last edited by Miss Ann Thrope; Oct 8th 2017 at 5:21 am.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
I've also been trying to visualise a scenario where you would touch a bloke on the hip to avoid contact: can't see it. Shoulder maybe but hip????
I agree, although I had you down as a hip toucher.

I've work in Afghanistan for years and know the type of people there, the afghan sparky knew exactly what he was doing. Unlikely it was it first time in Dubai either.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 6:12 am
...we killed the flame

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I agree, although I had you down as a hip toucher.

I've work in Afghanistan for years and know the type of people there, the afghan sparky knew exactly what he was doing. Unlikely it was it first time in Dubai either.
My hip touching has other purposes - though I'd never stoop to do it

I agree though, that it's likely the guy knew what he was doing. My guess is that it was a calculated insult with deliberate cognisance of the "cultural significance". Not jailworthy of course, but also not quite as implausibly innocent as is being claimed.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
This is not necessarily true at all. Wasta works in many ways and is of many types. "Jordanians" are usually Palestinians, many of whom have been in Dubai for many years, perhaps even born here from refugee parents and may have very well connected jobs with royal families. There was a "don't you know who I am?" mentioned in the DM report....
Perhaps you are right. I don't claim to have as much knowledge of the Arab world and local cultures as you have shown. But the one thing I was told by another knowledgeable expat (30+ year resident of the UAE) is that those with true wasta know when to use and when not to use it. And that there are ramifications if it's abused.

I agree with you and Millie that the guy was a dickhead. I'd feel very annoyed too if some moron in the bar put his hands on my hips to shift me aside. The way this story is told in the DM with the Jordanian portrayed as an easily offended man, the Brit's action was a subtle "**** you" move.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 7:19 am
...we killed the flame

Perhaps you are right. I don't claim to have as much knowledge of the Arab world and local cultures as you have shown. But the one thing I was told by another knowledgeable expat (30+ year resident of the UAE) is that those with true wasta know when to use and when not to use it. And that there are ramifications if it's abused.

I agree with you and Millie that the guy was a dickhead. I'd feel very annoyed too if some moron in the bar put his hands on my hips to shift me aside. The way this story is told in the DM with the Jordanian portrayed as an easily offended man, the Brit's action was a subtle "**** you" move.
Well I have opened local channels that you haven't pursued

But wasta can be a big or little thing and has a lot to do with clan and tribe and ethnicity. For example, different sections of the government or police or army are often dominated by one group which can wield influence in that area on behalf of those connected. That may be enough to effect or prevent an arrest, for example.

And to be clear, I read "touch hip" as "grab ass". A very clear insult when done in public.... (in private, a very different matter!!).
Old Oct 9th 2017, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Man who got Briton arrested in Dubai 'was showing off' | Daily Mail Online
Old Oct 9th 2017, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I feel sorry for him. I really do. Whatever the true story, at least they should have just quickly deported and banned him instead of this whole rigmarole.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

'Tourists who consume alcohol at licensed venues can still be arrested for having alcohol in their system. Most tourists are not aware of this fact. A number of British nationals have been caught out by this contradictory application of the law.'
i was not aware of this.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mission
'Tourists who consume alcohol at licensed venues can still be arrested for having alcohol in their system. Most tourists are not aware of this fact. A number of British nationals have been caught out by this contradictory application of the law.'
i was not aware of this.
I knew this since day 1 in Dubai....nearly 10 years ago.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

I knew this since day 1 in Dubai....nearly 10 years ago.
well doesn't the sun just shine outta ya ar*e!

Last edited by mission; Oct 9th 2017 at 11:20 am.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

The modern UAE police are not the police of 20 years ago or 30 years ago. It's really, really difficult these days to call your friend on the force and have him lock up someone just for kicks, to "show off" or to make a point. Certainly, today, a Jordanian would not be able to do that - and definitely a Palestinian Jordanian, who is seen as lower on the food chain, would not be able to. They would need powerful local involvement to make that happen and I find it very unlikely that would happen in a case like this, particularly as it involves a Westerner and tourism. Low level wasta would not be enough and what would be in it for someone with high level wasta?

I do agree that the Brit coming back from Afghanistan, at minimum probably instigated, or escalated, the situation, and knew he was doing so. Least likely outcome was that he was innocent bystander just enjoying a few quiet drinks with friends minding his own business.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.