Annual Leave

Old Sep 25th 2012, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Annual Leave

Grrrr - I get 25 days annual leave a year. When i want to take some of that annual leave my boss tells me it's not included as part of our contract with the client. So even though I personally have a contract that says i get 25 days, my company's contract says that we don't take holidays.

So I basically can't take my annual leave. I wouldn't mind if it had been mentioned when I was offered the job and came out here leaving my son behind. Then at least i could say i was informed.

Theoretically this is not my problem - I should take my leave when I like and leave it to the company to deal with it, but I'm too soft to do that, and also out here I could end up with no job instead of a job with no holidays!

Sorry just wanted a wee moan
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:33 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Annual Leave

That sucks. Legally you could enforce your right; practically (as you realise) you could end up with no job, especially (as I guess) you're fairly new in the position. I would suggest that you work as hard as you can to endear yourself to the client and prove your worth, and then take it up again with your employer and if you get no joy, take it up with the client. But it all depends on the moral fibre of the people you're dealing with
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:04 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That sucks. Legally you could enforce your right; practically (as you realise) you could end up with no job, especially (as I guess) you're fairly new in the position. I would suggest that you work as hard as you can to endear yourself to the client and prove your worth, and then take it up again with your employer and if you get no joy, take it up with the client. But it all depends on the moral fibre of the people you're dealing with
Also the general level of intelligence. I work with contract proposals day in and day out, and any contract that will involve any member of staff being contracted to a client for more than 30 days has to stipulate the employee is entitled to holidays.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - all of that!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Also the general level of intelligence. I work with contract proposals day in and day out, and any contract that will involve any member of staff being contracted to a client for more than 30 days has to stipulate the employee is entitled to holidays.
Is that the case in QATAR?

I know direct employees of our client are not allowed to take any holiday for the first 6 months of their employment.

My boss said yesterday that I wouldn't be getting any holidays for a year, except for having to renew my business visa. Then i can have 5 days out, or as long as it takes to get it!

On top of it all my boss and my colleague got paid 3 days ago and i'm still waiting.

Not having a happy week.

nevermind i'll cheer up next week.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:14 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theseus

I know direct employees of our client are not allowed to take any holiday for the first 6 months of their employment.

My boss said yesterday that I wouldn't be getting any holidays for a year, except for having to renew my business visa. Then i can have 5 days out, or as long as it takes to get it!

On top of it all my boss and my colleague got paid 3 days ago and i'm still waiting.

Not having a happy week.

Legally, yes. But at the end of those six months, you are all of a sudden entitled to the holiday's you've earned while working those six months. So a lot of companies will give you it on the strict proviso that if you leave before those six months are up, you have to pay them the money back as they become unpaid leave.

What I was referring to then is if you are hired by one company and outsourced to another.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Grrrr - I get 25 days annual leave a year. When i want to take some of that annual leave my boss tells me it's not included as part of our contract with the client. So even though I personally have a contract that says i get 25 days, my company's contract says that we don't take holidays.

So I basically can't take my annual leave. I wouldn't mind if it had been mentioned when I was offered the job and came out here leaving my son behind. Then at least i could say i was informed.

Theoretically this is not my problem - I should take my leave when I like and leave it to the company to deal with it, but I'm too soft to do that, and also out here I could end up with no job instead of a job with no holidays!

Sorry just wanted a wee moan
I don't get this - what exactly do you do for a living? I assume you do some sort of work on a client's premises, and it seems that client has an agreement that your firm turns up at their place every day.......... fine, but are you the only person at your firm that can do the work you do?

I'd push this one if I were you - tell them you must take leave on such-and-such dates and if someone is needed, they will have to get a temp in, or whatever. If you lose your job - so what? It sounds like there aren't many of your sort around, so you'll get something else soon enough...........

Last edited by The Dean; Sep 26th 2012 at 7:51 am. Reason: what
Old Sep 26th 2012, 8:06 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Not having a happy week.

The general rule here is that Ex-Pats take their holidays at the end of their 1 years service. All our subcons here do that or if they dont go home we pay them an extra month salary and they stay another 12 months. For westerners who are used to accruing 1.8 days a month holiday etc this is an Alien concept. My housemate who you know has had all his holidays this year as unpaid leave and will get the money as a lump sum this month. Myself on the other hand who runs the business and has a brit boss we work holidays the UK way. That said I have had maybe 4 days 'Holiday' in 7 months, though the flights are booked for Bangkok finally.

You also know about C & M's salaries this month - Its not uncommon, Except if you work for me - I usually pay my Guys a day or 2 early.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Dean
I don't get this - what exactly do you do for a living? I assume you do some sort of work on a client's premises, and it seems that client has an agreement that your firm turns up at their place every day.......... fine, but are you the only person at your firm that can do the work you do?

I'd push this one if I were you - tell them you must take leave on such-and-such dates and if someone is needed, they will have to get a temp in, or whatever. If you lose your job - so what? It sounds like there aren't many of your sort around, so you'll get something else soon enough...........
I work for a small UK consultancy with one contract in Qatar - we work on the clients premises as part of their team. I have a contract with my employer. My employer has a contract with the client. The two are mutually exclusive it turns out lol. There is no-one else who can do my job - definitely not a temp.

I was employed here because of specific skillset that i have but i am not terribly experienced generally. I'm not sure what job i would apply for here if i didnt have this one. I am a construction manager by trade but thats not the job i'm currently employed in. confused yet? lol

Brits - my employer works on UK terms but it seems the client trumps that, and they make it up as they go along. Also I am paid from the UK not locally. anyway sorry for moaning - i'll go back to getting on with it now - cheers guys.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 9:08 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

I work for a small UK consultancy with one contract in Qatar - we work on the clients premises as part of their team. I have a contract with my employer. My employer has a contract with the client. The two are mutually exclusive it turns out lol. There is no-one else who can do my job - definitely not a temp.

I was employed here because of specific skillset that i have but i am not terribly experienced generally. I'm not sure what job i would apply for here if i didnt have this one. I am a construction manager by trade but thats not the job i'm currently employed in. confused yet? lol

Brits - my employer works on UK terms but it seems the client trumps that, and they make it up as they go along. Also I am paid from the UK not locally. anyway sorry for moaning - i'll go back to getting on with it now - cheers guys.
Does it include endlessly posting on BE in your contract?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

It all comes down to the fine detail people . Check your contracts and terms and get everything itemised and confirmed before you sign.

Leave no room for interpretation if possible because you will get screwed somewhere .

Holiday entitlement is easy , it's just accrued on a monthly basis usually but if there's an already set policy find out what it is and even if your not happy you'll know what to expect .
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kix
Does it include endlessly posting on BE in your contract?
Don't feel you have to read my "endless posting"
Old Sep 27th 2012, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

It's sorted - the CEO said he would bring someone over from the UK for a few days when I wanted time off. They won't be able to do anything but at least they can sit at my desk and post on BE all day for me.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 10:39 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

It's sorted - the CEO said he would bring someone over from the UK for a few days when I wanted time off. They won't be able to do anything but at least they can sit at my desk and post on BE all day for me.
You have only been here 5 minutes, you shouldn't have any holiday yet anyhow.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 10:41 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I know I speak for all the forum members, when I say that's a load off my mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.