Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Angelina Jolie...........

Angelina Jolie...........

Old May 14th 2013, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Angelina Jolie...........

......... has had her breasts removed.

She wasn't suffering from breast cancer - she has chosen to do this as a preventive measure.

Leaving aside the sheer devastation a woman must feel at the 'loss' of such an integral part of what makes her a woman, isn't the very idea of doing this as a precautionary step a terrible indictment of how the medical profession has utterly failed to defeat this dreadful disease? Millions have been raised and spent on cancer research over the years - for what?

I have this ominous feeling that, one day, a woman will take this decision..... only to find that the very next day, some scientist somewhere will announce that a cure has been found.........

You can argue about the percentages and probabilities (she probably wouldn't have contracted it - many do but the majority don't), but I just feel so sorry for her.......... what a decision to feel you have to make.
Old May 14th 2013, 1:15 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Angelina Jolie...........

said she had an 87% chance of getting it . Wonder how it will effect her career . Everyone will be looking to see what kind of reconstruction job she had done .
Old May 14th 2013, 1:29 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

She wasn't suffering from breast cancer - she has chosen to do this as a preventive measure.

Leaving aside the sheer devastation a woman must feel at the 'loss' of such an integral part of what makes her a woman, isn't the very idea of doing this as a precautionary step a terrible indictment of how the medical profession has utterly failed to defeat this dreadful disease? Millions have been raised and spent on cancer research over the years - for what?

I have this ominous feeling that, one day, a woman will take this decision..... only to find that the very next day, some scientist somewhere will announce that a cure has been found.........

You can argue about the percentages and probabilities (she probably wouldn't have contracted it - many do but the majority don't), but I just feel so sorry for her.......... what a decision to feel you have to make.
yup - it's something those of us with the dodgy genes seriously need to think about. I got tested when my third maternal aunt got breast cancer. It's something I need to think about. But... also... insurance companies don't cover preventative surgery, and it's incredibly expensive when it's not the NHS.
Old May 14th 2013, 1:36 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
yup - it's something those of us with the dodgy genes seriously need to think about. I got tested when my third maternal aunt got breast cancer. It's something I need to think about. But... also... insurance companies don't cover preventative surgery, and it's incredibly expensive when it's not the NHS.
reckon she's good for it .
Old May 14th 2013, 3:52 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

well, yes, thanks.
Old May 14th 2013, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

I'd volunteer to donate my nipples to the rebuild. but then I'd be worried everyone would be, er, looking at/for them online.
Old May 14th 2013, 4:19 pm
womble

if you read the article, she kept her own.
Old May 14th 2013, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe she has also had a hysterectomy.

I know several women my age and under who have undergone both procedures as far as I can tell once you've had the hysterectomy having the mastectomy almost feels right extremely tough for any woman any age to go through. She's the sort of woman I wouldn't be surprised at if she didn't have reconstructive surgery I wouldn't be surprised if she pulls back from her acting career and focuses on her charity work.
Old May 14th 2013, 4:59 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I wouldn't be surprised if she pulls back from her acting career and focuses on her charity work.
Absolutely right. I fear we have seen the last of Angelina's chebs.
Old May 14th 2013, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

if you read the article, she kept her own.
I have to admit I only had a quick scan as celeb type stories give me brain freeze.
Old May 14th 2013, 10:19 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

The girl from married with children, Christina Applegate has this done some years ago - she had breast cancer and it could spread so she had them both removed and then a boob job. As far as I know it looks no different from any other girl with a boob job.

Must be damn scary though.
Old May 15th 2013, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Spugsy is right, it should look no different, unless you have your nipples removed. Retaining them means that you still carry some risk of getting breast cancer, but it is much lowered.

My mum and my aunt both had breast cancer, and I would have preventative surgery in a heartbeat, if I could afford it.
Old May 15th 2013, 12:32 pm
womble

about US$ 30,000 I read LaLaLayla (1 dead g/mother, 1 dead aunt, 2 aunt 2x BC, double mastectomies, all on mother's side).
Old May 15th 2013, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

about US$ 30,000 I read LaLaLayla (1 dead g/mother, 1 dead aunt, 2 aunt 2x BC, double mastectomies, all on mother's side).
Does that include the reconstruction? Are you thinking about having it done, OS?
Old May 15th 2013, 2:56 pm
womble

Yes. And yes. But I took the test 10 years ago when there were many false positives, so I'm trying to find somewhere to do the test again. And surgery has moved on considerably in the last 10 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.