Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Allegedly, a Lufthansa flight had child screaming and throwng a tantrum for 8 hours

Allegedly, a Lufthansa flight had child screaming and throwng a tantrum for 8 hours

Old Feb 15th 2018, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Allegedly, a Lufthansa flight had child screaming and throwng a tantrum for 8 hours

Lufthansa flight from Germany to New Jersey. According to the videotaper and another passenger on the video, the kid was yelling , climbing up on the seat and running through the aisles for 8 hours.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lufth...212125104.html

Passenger films toddler's tantrum on Lufthansa flight | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by Boomhauer; Feb 15th 2018 at 9:13 am.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allegedly, a Lufthansa flight had child screaming and throwng a tantrum for 8 hou

I was on a flight to HK once. Cathay Pacific. 90% were Filipinos going home. One of the few westerners. At one point one of the other westerners got up, a short and bald young man, and started literally jogging up and down the aisles, his feet pounding the aisle so hard that it shook every time he passed you. The Asians were, of course, too meek and polite to do anything about it but it was getting tiresome as I was trying to sleep.

After about the 10th time he passed me I slipped out my foot and he tripped and crashed to the floor.

That put an end to it.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Feb 15th 2018 at 9:43 am.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 8:57 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allegedly, a Lufthansa flight had child screaming and throwng a tantrum for 8 hou

Holy sheeeeeyit. Can you imagine? How did he not tire himself out with all that? There's a lot to be said for a shot of brandy in the juice cup...
Old Feb 15th 2018, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Holy sheeeeeyit. Can you imagine? How did he not tire himself out with all that? There's a lot to be said for a shot of brandy in the juice cup...
"Special needs" child.

Probably was actually one. Most kids his age wear themselves out after a hour. My nephews can run around screaming for maybe 45 minutes before crashing. As much as I pity the passengers I really feel sorry for his parents because they probably have to put up with this every single day.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
"Special needs" child.

Probably was actually one. Most kids his age wear themselves out after a hour. My nephews can run around screaming for maybe 45 minutes before crashing. As much as I pity the passengers I really feel sorry for his parents because they probably have to put up with this every single day.
Even though The DM article says that the kid suffers from a disability that affects his behaviour, according to a source, the article later goes on to state:
It is not clear whether the youngster suffers from behavioral issues, and it does not appear his mother informed her fellow passengers, that he was suffering from any condition which could have caused his distress.
If the kid is not mentally impaired, the mom deserves a lot of grief from the crew and passengers.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Feb 15th 2018 at 9:24 am.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 12:58 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Even though The DM article says that the kid suffers from a disability that affects his behaviour, according to a source, the article later goes on to state:

If the kid is not mentally impaired, the mom deserves a lot of grief from the crew and passengers.
My son is hyperactive adhd. He is not mentally impaired. 8 hours is a long time to be hyperactive, and it is distressing for the child as much as the parents, but if you need to fly home from work for eg a funeral, you need to do it. And you don’t have tell everyone on the plane.

Quite frankly **** the complainer for publicly shaming the child
Old Feb 15th 2018, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
My son is hyperactive adhd. He is not mentally impaired. 8 hours is a long time to be hyperactive, and it is distressing for the child as much as the parents, but if you need to fly home from work for eg a funeral, you need to do it. And you don’t have tell everyone on the plane.

When I said mentally impaired, I was just using the term in a very broad and general sense, to include any kind of behavioral issues to; may not be the right term but couldn't think of any other catch-all descriptor. My nephew had sort of anger issues as a child, but over time my sister, with professional guidance sorted it out. Not sure what she did.

If the kid doesn't have ADHD, is not diagnosed as being hyperactive or has no mental or behavioral issues, and is just acting up, the parents do deserve criticism, because some parents tend to shrug and do nothing when their kids act up. If the kid has issues, then it was not appropriate to video him.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 8:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine

Couldn't agree more. Videoing a young child over several hours without consent and splashing his face around online is a revolting thing to do.

Just put your headphones on and listen to music or watch a movie, dimwit, or hire a private plane next time so your precious little sensibilities won't be offended.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Couldn't agree more. Videoing a young child over several hours without consent and splashing his face around online is a revolting thing to do.

Just put your headphones on and listen to music or watch a movie, dimwit, or hire a private plane next time so your precious little sensibilities won't be offended.
So children are more important than adults?

The kicker in this scenario is that there was no attempt by the mother to explain her child had medical issues. She seemed quite blasé and the attitude one of tough luck to the rest of the passengers. If it were me I'd be going around quietly explaining the child has special needs issues and how sorry I was and in the duration I'd be doing everything I could to keep the kid under control including trying to play with him, entertain him working with him to calm him down. But it looks like she didn't.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
So children are more important than adults?

The kicker in this scenario is that there was no attempt by the mother to explain her child had medical issues. She seemed quite blasé and the attitude one of tough luck to the rest of the passengers. If it were me I'd be going around quietly explaining the child has special needs issues and how sorry I was and in the duration I'd be doing everything I could to keep the kid under control including trying to play with him, entertain him working with him to calm him down. But it looks like she didn't.
Actually yes, children a lot more important than adults. And video-taping someone's child and posting on the internet ?

Yea it is tough luck for other passengers - as annoying as it might have been. I have been on flights with babies crying and for whatever reason the mothers couldn't stop the crying . I certainly didn't expect the mothers to go around the plane apologizing for the child.

I agree the parent should try to keep child occupied and calm, but really people should learn to just mind their own business.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 9:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

and it is distressing for the child as much as the parents,
And pretty distressing for the other passengers....
Old Feb 16th 2018, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by morpeth
Actually yes, children a lot more important than adults. And video-taping someone's child and posting on the internet ?

Yea it is tough luck for other passengers - as annoying as it might have been. I have been on flights with babies crying and for whatever reason the mothers couldn't stop the crying . I certainly didn't expect the mothers to go around the plane apologizing for the child.

I agree the parent should try to keep child occupied and calm, but really people should learn to just mind their own business.
Well, we politely disagree. I don't find children inherently special or deserving of special status. If anything, they're annoying little creatures and it's the parent's responsibility to make sure they don't cause trouble or discomfort to others.

It's hard to tell people to mind their own business when, put it politely, this kid was not minding his own business, nor his mother. They were allowing their particular problems to intrude onto other people's well-being.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 9:42 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yep

What a world, when people film a toddler having a meltdown and then invite others to join them in tearing the kid and his parents apart. We don't know why the kid acted as he did and we don't know what the parent tried or didn't try because the video wasn't 8 hours long.

No one's having a great time when this sort of thing happens, not the toddler, not the parents, not the people around them. Do whatever you can to distract yourself and at the end of the flight, go about your lives. It's not that bloody hard.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 1:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Surely videotaping ANYBODY suffering from a possible medical condition and posting it all over the internet is pretty disgusting behaviour.

Whatever happened to tolerance and understanding?

I have a very low level of tolerance for badly behaved kids on planes (or elsewhere!), but I feel thats largely for me to deal with, by means of wearing headphones etc. People with medical conditions, and caring for those with such conditions have enough to deal with without being made a laughing stock on facebook.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

A 15/20 minute tantrum from a small child is certainly worthy of tolerance & understanding.

Moreover, what if the child had injured itself while romping around the aircraft? - no doubt the Parents would attempt to sue the airline, a possibility which could be considered a justification of the video.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.