Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Alexa, what's the bloody point?

Alexa, what's the bloody point?

Old Aug 29th 2017, 10:20 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alexa, what's the bloody point?

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Anyone got it linked up so you can turn lights on/off while you're away? Can't quite work out if Alexa can do that, of if you need a separate hub.
I've just done exactly that (with Siri and HomeKit rather than Alexa) and it works great. Lights go off as I leave the house and turn back on as I enter. Wake up in the morning and the lights are set to an energizing white. Put on Apple TV in the evening and the lights dim for movie mode.

Just wish that Homepod (Apple equivalent of the Amazon speaker) was released already so I could ditch my antique music system.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 10:24 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed
I've just done exactly that (with Siri and HomeKit rather than Alexa) and it works great. Lights go off as I leave the house and turn back on as I enter. Wake up in the morning and the lights are set to an energizing white. Put on Apple TV in the evening and the lights dim for movie mode.

Just wish that Homepod (Apple equivalent of the Amazon speaker) was released already so I could ditch my antique music system.
Sounds good. Can it unlock doors?
Old Aug 29th 2017, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any places to buy Hue lights in the UAE where the prices aren't at least double (the already extortionate) prices you'd get in the UK?
Old Aug 29th 2017, 11:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by csdf
Are there any places to buy Hue lights in the UAE where the prices aren't at least double (the already extortionate) prices you'd get in the UK?
No.
Got ours in UK and put in suitcase to bring back.

Other options is Shop and Ship I guess.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 11:28 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

As Scamp says, no, prices are extortionate here. I got mine via S&S from Amazon US
Old Aug 29th 2017, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I did the same. I was hoping, vainly, that I wouldn't need to do it again to feed my habit. Problem is with S&S that it's quite easy to go over the 1000 dhs customs limit, given how expensive the bulbs are.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 9:19 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

give it a couple of weeks and as if by magic amazon will start suggesting every product you've discussed in the room where its placed.

from a personal security point of view these things are terrifying
Old Sep 5th 2017, 3:20 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

Originally Posted by shiva
give it a couple of weeks and as if by magic amazon will start suggesting every product you've discussed in the room where its placed.

from a personal security point of view these things are terrifying
If you use Facebook, Amazon, Any Google Apps or a non-Tor Browser or most of the other apps that have big data analytics at play, most of the information is already out there. Not much anyone can do about it. People are petrified about big brother, not knowing that they’ve been living in that world for close to 10 years.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed
If you use Facebook, Amazon, Any Google Apps or a non-Tor Browser or most of the other apps that have big data analytics at play, most of the information is already out there. Not much anyone can do about it. People are petrified about big brother, not knowing that they’ve been living in that world for close to 10 years.
I can control what I type in to a computer, or search for on the internet. I can't control what I say in my living room...

Amazon will be suggesting dildos and nutella packs if I'm not careful.