Alcohol Licence

Old Apr 4th 2017, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol Licence

The only time you really need a license is when you get caught. And if you're caught it's cos of something else (Meow grinds her teeth at my diction).

Get to know the manager of your local shop, or do a booze run...

Last edited by IKnowNothing; Apr 4th 2017 at 8:24 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chipie
Thanks for that. Did you apply directly or through one of the chains such as A&E?
I applied on the Special Licence website. All very easy and just needed to upload a scan of Visa, EID, Passport page, Employment letter with salary details. No proof of address needed

I'm in Abu Dhabi. May be different elsewhere
Old Apr 5th 2017, 7:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by chipie
I'll be house sharing and tenancy agreement not in my name; is there a subtle way around this to obtain the licence?
I was curious about this. Yes, there is....i'm in the situation you're in.

The tenancy holder can supply you an NOC and their documents and you can get it that way. Check the MMI website.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 7:15 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I was curious about this. Yes, there is....i'm in the situation you're in.

The tenancy holder can supply you an NOC and their documents and you can get it that way. Check the MMI website.
Our tenancy agreement is in Mr Meow's name (as it means he has to deal with DEWA etc ) and for the very first time ever, he had to give me permission to do something - get an alcohol licence. MMI has standard letters for signature in this scenario.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 7:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
Our tenancy agreement is in Mr Meow's name (as it means he has to deal with DEWA etc ) and for the very first time ever, he had to give me permission to do something - get an alcohol licence. MMI has standard letters for signature in this scenario.
Ha! You're under his control. Quite right too.

I wonder if it would be the same for unmarried co-habiters, whether friends, casual lovers or indeed partners.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
The only time you really need a license is when you get caught. And if you're caught it's cos of something else (Meow grinds her teeth at my diction).

Get to know the manager of your local shop, or do a booze run...

I cannot recall one time I was ever asked to produce an alcohol licence, and on the occasions that I forgot to bring it and volunteered that, was told no problem.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
I cannot recall one time I was ever asked to produce an alcohol licence, and on the occasions that I forgot to bring it and volunteered that, was told no problem.
Abu Dhabi hasn't been very bothered about licenses, certainly not since I've arrived.

Dubai is a totally different kettle of fish.

I've given up on getting a license with a JAFZA Visa and an Abu Dhabi tenancy.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

every time you go to Eastern African they will ask you for your license
Old Apr 5th 2017, 9:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

As with many things here it is not an issue until it becomes a major problem. If you ever get pulled by the police, even as a witness or if you are the innocent party, and you have been drinking without a licence you can get slung in jail for a few days.

You also need to produce a licence in Dubai in order to buy anything from A+E or MMI.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
A
You also need to produce a licence in Dubai in order to buy anything from A+E or MMI.
Unless you tell them you left it at home and then quote a friends number that has a license!