British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   In 10 years there will be (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/10-years-there-will-902569/)

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 28th 2017 7:01 am

In 10 years there will be

Peace on earth?
Hoverboards?
Time travel?
A museum dedicated to Gary Barlow?
A nuclear apocalypse?
WWIII in Europe thanks to Brexit?
Driverless cars everywhere?

Anyone got any predictions?
They're mine. Sort of.

TheShed Aug 28th 2017 7:08 am

Re: In 10 years there will be

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12325772)
Peace on earth? Never gonna happen
Hoverboards? Very possible as the tech is close now
Time travel? Nope, defies the laws of physics
A museum dedicated to Gary Barlow? I truly hope not
A nuclear apocalypse? Highly possible with all of the rogue states getting closer to nukes
WWIII in Europe thanks to Brexit? War possible but Europe is too insignificant to cause it.
Driverless cars everywhere? I think there'll be a lot of driverless in places like USA but not everywhere

Anyone got any predictions?
They're mine. Sort of.

I think that aircraft are in line for a serious hike in speed and efficiency much as large ships are currently going through a paradigm change.

One thing I always think of is how connected everything will be but I'm struggling to see what else needs to be connected at the moment.

I'd love to see a cure for some of the really horrible diseases like cancer, malaria, ebola etc.

I also feel the AI will be generations ahead of where it is today and the conversation will be about controlling it rather than improving it.

I also see Manchester United, and hopefully Liverpool in the championship :p

Millhouse Aug 28th 2017 7:10 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12325776)
One thing I always think of is how connected everything will be but I'm struggling to see what else needs to be connected at the moment.

Connected door locks. It's coming to Dubai, mark my words.

Bahtatboy Aug 28th 2017 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12325772)
Peace on earth? Nope, it's going to get worse.
Hoverboards? Don't be silly.
Time travel? See immediately above.
A museum dedicated to Gary Barlow? Who?
A nuclear apocalypse? No.
WWIII in Europe thanks to Brexit? No.
Driverless cars everywhere? No.

Anyone got any predictions? Yes.
They're mine. Sort of.

Further divide between rich and poor nations.
Further divide between rich and poor within nations.
Further divide between religions.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 28th 2017 8:19 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12325776)
I think that aircraft are in line for a serious hike in speed and efficiency much as large ships are currently going through a paradigm change.

I'd love to see a cure for some of the really horrible diseases like cancer, malaria, ebola etc.

I also feel the AI will be generations ahead of where it is today and the conversation will be about controlling it rather than improving it.

I also see Manchester United, and hopefully Liverpool in the championship :p

Flights - I hope so. I'm being pushed for a trip to Australia and the thought of doing a 14-15hr flight on my own is distressing.

I think the next ten years are going to be about green and eco but actual progress, not different bins. Tesla style improvements.
Problem is maybe the ten years should be spent on where the leccy comes from for Teslas first?

Lots more home automation like your door locks and in the home improvements too. More common place.

Good suggestions.:thumbup:

Bahtatboy Aug 28th 2017 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12325813)
I think the next ten years are going to be about green and eco but actual progress, not different bins. Tesla style improvements.
Problem is maybe the ten years should be spent on where the leccy comes from for Teslas first?

Agreed. Engie (formerly GDF Suez) has turned its back on non-green power. The Swiss have voted to ban nuclear (nuclear isn't green) in favour of renewables. The EU and most responsible nations are committed to significant cuts in GHG emissions, although those cuts don't actually go far enough. Even China is taking the issue seriously. Technology is advancing on most renewable energy fronts, but that needs to be backed up by positive action from governments.

Grid-level storage is probably the most immediate key to solving (or at least easing) the 'energy trilemma': energy security, environmental sensitivity, and social impact. Demand-side reduction is also important, but is likely to increase because of EVs until local generation and storage become common (which will be in the medium term).

Each country is unique in terms of availability of renewable energy resources, and every country could be self-sufficient from renewables with the right mix of generation technologies, storage and demand-side economies.

Maybe that's what we'll see, perhaps in 20 years. In the meantime, stop Hinkley.

IKnowNothing Aug 28th 2017 9:54 am

A bloody good wake for me!

Millhouse Aug 28th 2017 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12325817)
Demand-side reduction is also important,

... and in no point in history has it happened.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 28th 2017 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12325817)
Agreed. Engie (formerly GDF Suez) has turned its back on non-green power. The Swiss have voted to ban nuclear (nuclear isn't green) in favour of renewables. The EU and most responsible nations are committed to significant cuts in GHG emissions, although those cuts don't actually go far enough. Even China is taking the issue seriously. Technology is advancing on most renewable energy fronts, but that needs to be backed up by positive action from governments.

Grid-level storage is probably the most immediate key to solving (or at least easing) the 'energy trilemma': energy security, environmental sensitivity, and social impact. Demand-side reduction is also important, but is likely to increase because of EVs until local generation and storage become common (which will be in the medium term).

Each country is unique in terms of availability of renewable energy resources, and every country could be self-sufficient from renewables with the right mix of generation technologies, storage and demand-side economies.

Maybe that's what we'll see, perhaps in 20 years. In the meantime, stop Hinkley.

Maybe it's all about the energy storage then.
Maybe it's putting solar panels on every roof of every new build home.
Maybe it's expanding potential renewable sources to be combined with energy storage improvements to avoid gaps in development.

Maybe all these little and big ideas add up.

I don't agree with stopping Hinkley though. Nuclear energy is a huge contributor to global energy demands

Millhouse Aug 28th 2017 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12325865)
I don't agree with stopping Hinkley though. Nuclear energy is a huge contributor to global energy demands

just a shame the contract is so rich and expensive.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 28th 2017 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12325873)
just a shame the contract is so rich and expensive.

Agreed...but I have made money out of it so it's definitely benefiting Britain. :thumbup:

Bahtatboy Aug 28th 2017 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12325854)
... and in no point in history has it happened.

2016 Update:

Energy efficiency improvements led to a drop in electricity demand in the United States, for the sixth time in eight years, a decline in Japan and to stable demand in the European Union.

https://yearbook.enerdata.net/electr...tion-data.html

Bahtatboy Aug 28th 2017 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12325865)
Maybe it's all about the energy storage then. Partly, yes.
Maybe it's putting solar panels on every roof of every new build home. Partly, yes.
Maybe it's expanding potential renewable sources to be combined with energy storage improvements to avoid gaps in development. Mainly, yes.

Maybe all these little and big ideas add up. Definitely.

I don't agree with stopping Hinkley though. Nuclear energy is a huge contributor to global energy demands. Supply, but I think that's what you meant.

The technology's already there to start for some renewable sources, particularly wind for UK. Solar PV is also highly relevant and feasible (you don't need direct sunlight).

We really don't need Hinkley. After Fukushima, Japan shut down all its nuclear reactors, which had been supplying 30% of all electricity. There were no black-outs. The country adapted.

Bahtatboy Aug 28th 2017 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12325896)
Agreed...but I have made money out of it so it's definitely benefiting Britain. :thumbup:

How?

Millhouse Aug 28th 2017 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12325927)
2016 Update:

Energy efficiency improvements led to a drop in electricity demand in the United States, for the sixth time in eight years, a decline in Japan and to stable demand in the European Union.

https://yearbook.enerdata.net/electr...tion-data.html

wow. I take it back... although globally its a very different story