Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Saint Lucia
Reload this Page >

Wanting to stay in St Lucia - HELP!!!

Wanting to stay in St Lucia - HELP!!!

Old Nov 6th 2010, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Samijane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting to stay in St Lucia - HELP!!!

Hello Everyone

I am returning to paradise on 16th November for the second visit this year.

Having been offered permanent accommodation by friends, I am really keen to stay there and seek employment. I am a fully qualified NVQ beauty, massage therapist and nail technician.

Having been tearing out my hair trying to find as much information as I can regarding visas and work permits on the net - i stumbled across this site.

Any information would be appreciated - I plan to visit the appropriate offices in castries as soon as I arrive but to be prepared as much as i can would be such a help and a stress relief!!!

Thank you in advance for any information you may have, and I hope you are all recovering well in the aftermath of Thomas.

Samijane
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

vigiequeen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wanting to stay in St Lucia - HELP!!!

In all honesty Samijane? This is probably not the best time to be moving to St Lucia, especially if you are seeking employment. The island has been hit very hard by Tomas and is going to take a long time to recover. We have no idea when the water will be back on. Contrary to the reports being put out by the Government, things are NOT returning to normal and most resorts are NOT taking guests. A LOT of local people - including workers within your industry - will almost certainly lost their jobs or be laid off temporarily. I don't think it is fair to come in and take those jobs away from them (although I doubt you would get one anyway as they usually prefer to employ locals, fair enough). So if you do want to come, I would just do a bit of proper research first and ensure you have enough cash to bide you over for a while. And check with your airline before you fly - the road between the airport in the south and the north is still only open for emergency vehicles.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Samijane is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for that. Unfortunately the trip was booked months ago- and has taken massive planning. The news we have been receiving back here is, as usual very sketchy and silly things seem to take the headlines and not the important news that the majority of us want to hear - luckily I have friends on the island, who like yourself have been reporting the real facts. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me, and i have taken onboard all your points. I wish you a speedy recovery from the forces of nature.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 5:25 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vigiequeen
In all honesty Samijane? This is probably not the best time to be moving to St Lucia, especially if you are seeking employment. The island has been hit very hard by Tomas and is going to take a long time to recover. We have no idea when the water will be back on. Contrary to the reports being put out by the Government, things are NOT returning to normal and most resorts are NOT taking guests. A LOT of local people - including workers within your industry - will almost certainly lost their jobs or be laid off temporarily. I don't think it is fair to come in and take those jobs away from them (although I doubt you would get one anyway as they usually prefer to employ locals, fair enough). So if you do want to come, I would just do a bit of proper research first and ensure you have enough cash to bide you over for a while. And check with your airline before you fly - the road between the airport in the south and the north is still only open for emergency vehicles.
Agree !!! Too much stuff going on right now, and the poeple most probably will not be in the best of moods especially for newbies looking for jobs.
however, give it a few months for the island to recover and rebuild and maybe try then.