Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Saint Lucia
Reload this Page >

unfriendly expats in St Lucia

unfriendly expats in St Lucia

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough
Default unfriendly expats in St Lucia

Why is it that almost every expat I have met in St Lucia have been very unfriendly? I have found that the expats that I meet think they are of the higher class and of the more wealthiest people on the island.
It is becoming boring and isolating.
Where are the fun people?
Where are the people that enjoy St Lucia for what it is .... a beautifully landscaped island with many forest trails, many secluded beaches, cool rum shacks and wonderful locals that want to sit and eat chicken backs, bakes and drink rum with you.

Many expats don't even leave Rodney Bay let alone go to Castries or venture further south. I love to go hiking in the rain forests, taking a trip to Chousiel or Laborie. I love to go to the bakeries and getting a turnover or a horseshoe, its a pity more expats don't see and enjoy the real St Lucia.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

grandmalee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: unfriendly expats in St Lucia

Sorry to hear of your bad experiences with expats. We are in Soufriere and have a few nasty expats in our area, as well...actually, I think they are both German...anyway, we had to return to Florida to take care of some business but hope to return by the end of September. Do you know Debbie who has a shop in Soufriere called The Image Tree? She seems to know most of the Soufriere expats - maybe you and she can get together? I'll let you know when we are back on the island and I would love to meet you in person. Take Care...Lee
Old Jul 25th 2010, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Just jumping in here but I find expats to be generally cliquey and above themselves. It appears they try to reinvent themselves when they settle elsewhere and take on all sort of airs and graces that they most likely previously did not have.

When I moved to the Caribbean it took me a while to move away from these people but after a year or so I found a group of friends I am much happier with and now avoid expat groups as a rule.

Hope you find some nicer people soon.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:40 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glitterycloud
Why is it that almost every expat I have met in St Lucia have been very unfriendly? I have found that the expats that I meet think they are of the higher class and of the more wealthiest people on the island.
Where are the people that enjoy St Lucia for what it is .... a beautifully landscaped island with many forest trails, many secluded beaches, cool rum shacks and wonderful locals that want to sit and eat chicken backs, bakes and drink rum with you.

Many expats don't even leave Rodney Bay let alone go to Castries or venture further south. I love to go hiking in the rain forests, taking a trip to Chousiel or Laborie. I love to go to the bakeries and getting a turnover or a horseshoe, its a pity more expats don't see and enjoy the real St Lucia.
Glitterycloud, you are cracking me up

You have anwered your own question and maybe are looking in the wrong place for liming buddies.

Quote Glitterycloud "Where are the people that enjoy St Lucia for what it is .... a beautifully landscaped island with many forest trails, many secluded beaches, cool rum shacks and wonderful locals that want to sit and eat chicken backs, bakes and drink rum with you.

Are you feeding the rummies ?

Do you really need the expats ? Every country you go to has a certain snobbery, some more than others.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Why is it that almost every expat I have met in St Lucia have been very unfriendly?

....don't see and enjoy the real St Lucia.
You gave the most elegant solution yerself

"cool rum shacks and wonderful locals that want to sit and eat chicken backs, bakes and drink rum with you. "

Add to it; go local - Local news,local newspaper,local rhythm. Soon you will love to ignore the expats with snooty attitude.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

3aces is an unknown quantity at this point

Although I don't live in SLU like yourself I can see where you are coming from. However, I do know a local German couple who shun the expat community and have integrated quite well into the local community.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shines
Just jumping in here but I find expats to be generally cliquey and above themselves. It appears they try to reinvent themselves when they settle elsewhere and take on all sort of airs and graces that they most likely previously did not have.

When I moved to the Caribbean it took me a while to move away from these people but after a year or so I found a group of friends I am much happier with and now avoid expat groups as a rule.

Hope you find some nicer people soon.
Too true Shines...too true.