Starting Over (Maybe)

Old Apr 9th 2016, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Mister Arsenal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting Over (Maybe)

Hi Saint Lucia

My wife and i are looking around the Caribbean for a new place to set up home, as the song goes "Just the two of us".
We are looking to buy a small piece of land on which we intend to erect a Pre-Fab house shipped in from oversea's, the idea is to be semi self sustainable, solar panels, wind tribune a few chickens this kind of thing.
Our first priority is the land, location location location, if anyone has embarked on such a project we would be grateful for some assistance and advise.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting Over (Maybe)

Is your search limited to St Lucia, or did you mean to post it in the Caribbean section?
Old Apr 11th 2016, 11:05 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

It looks as though you may not know the economics of what you are suggesting. I would strongly suggest you choose your island, and rent there for several months while you decide on where you actually want to buy land, and work out the best way of achieving your dream financially etc. Flat pack houses are possible but have to be made and suitable for the environment here, and duties fees etc can make them financially unattractive compared with local builds.

Im assuming one of you is a citizen of st lucia.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Apr 11th 2016 at 11:08 am.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 5:03 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

And hurricanes, of course. I wouldn't want to be in a pre-fab during a hurricane.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 5:53 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

The Caribbean dream eh !!! Spend a few months on the island and see if Island life is really for you. Look into long term residency and work, income possibilities. It can work but needs to be thought out properly. Not sure about a prefab house in St Lucia or any Caribbean island.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 11:12 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Actually there are american and german house pre-fab builders who provide hurricane proof structures. Theres the ultimate - an american co makes geodisic domes of concrete sections that make nice houses that can be placed in the arctic or the caribbean, made to take 200 mph winds... The germans make steel and bullet proof glass houses with shutters that arent so - indestructable - but look lovely.