security in st lucia

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

747 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default security in st lucia

Hi there. Have just been reading a few posts about the recent security scares in St Lucia. My family are currently living in Kenya and we are thinking of relocating to St Lucia within the next year. The one thing I don't want to do is to move from one dangerous place to an up and coming dangerous place! Is the level of crime getting pretty bad on the island or is it only being mentioned because it hasn't happened before. In Kenya it is dangerous to drive at night, madness to walk around at night, and all of the houses are fully barres with security guards (at least in Nairobi). I can't believe it is that bad in SL?? We would not be able to afford to live in a gated community, however my daughter is 6 so the north of the island is the place for us with all of the schools in the area.

Lastly my wife will be by herself for up to 3 weeks a month as I work in the UK, so I really don't want to consider SL if it is getting dangerous at night inside your own house (we've had enough of that in Nairobi).

Thanks for any info
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:28 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: security in st lucia

Originally Posted by 747
Hi there. Have just been reading a few posts about the recent security scares in St Lucia. My family are currently living in Kenya and we are thinking of relocating to St Lucia within the next year. The one thing I don't want to do is to move from one dangerous place to an up and coming dangerous place! Is the level of crime getting pretty bad on the island or is it only being mentioned because it hasn't happened before. In Kenya it is dangerous to drive at night, madness to walk around at night, and all of the houses are fully barres with security guards (at least in Nairobi). I can't believe it is that bad in SL?? We would not be able to afford to live in a gated community, however my daughter is 6 so the north of the island is the place for us with all of the schools in the area.

Lastly my wife will be by herself for up to 3 weeks a month as I work in the UK, so I really don't want to consider SL if it is getting dangerous at night inside your own house (we've had enough of that in Nairobi).

Thanks for any info
Two different kettles of fish.
Choose right area, don't flash wealth about, burglars bars and a dog and you should be OK. Check my other post regarding this.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=654809&page=2

Read my last contribution.

Last edited by pgtips; Feb 22nd 2010 at 2:31 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

PGTips what would I do if you weren't around. Thanks very much for answering both of my posts so quickly. I've read your comment on the other thread about security and it was as I imagined. Nairobi is in another league, but I didn't want to go from the frying pan into the fire by thinking of relocating to st Lucia and then finding out that the threats are just as great in the caribbean. I'll keep on checking this post to see if anyone else has any other info on the general security situation, however if it is a case of securing the house and not dressing like a movie star then I think we will be OK. It's the random, life risking violence in Kenya that is growing, which is a great shame, however the situation doesn't seem to be getting any better around Nairobi so I'm beginning the search for another country to call home.

Thanks again
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 6:33 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 747
PGTips what would I do if you weren't around. Thanks very much for answering both of my posts so quickly. I've read your comment on the other thread about security and it was as I imagined. Nairobi is in another league, but I didn't want to go from the frying pan into the fire by thinking of relocating to st Lucia and then finding out that the threats are just as great in the caribbean. I'll keep on checking this post to see if anyone else has any other info on the general security situation, however if it is a case of securing the house and not dressing like a movie star then I think we will be OK. It's the random, life risking violence in Kenya that is growing, which is a great shame, however the situation doesn't seem to be getting any better around Nairobi so I'm beginning the search for another country to call home.

Thanks again
I am sorry to hear about the situation in Kenya, mind you I have seen some stuff about this on the news a while back. I hope you find another destination you will feel more happy at. I think wherever you go in the world now you have to have your wits about you. Even in the UK we get mindless violence occasionally.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Very true, I think it's probably only Greenland where crime is not an issue, although the winter's are not the best there! I'm sure I will be asking you more questions about life in SL in the very near future if that's OK. Let me know when I start to become a pain!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by 747
Very true, I think it's probably only Greenland where crime is not an issue, although the winter's are not the best there! I'm sure I will be asking you more questions about life in SL in the very near future if that's OK. Let me know when I start to become a pain!
You will have to make a trip down to the island to get the real feel of the place. Visit the school and try and get as much feedback from other parents.
If you can take an extended break of about a month and try and live the local way of life to see if it suits you and your family.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

3aces is an unknown quantity at this point

Pgtips is absolutely right. Crime is everywhere. I've lived in Africa for a short while, lived most of my life in the UK and visited St Lucia many times.

I'm can categorically say that the level crime of in places like Kenya is no where near that of St Lucia. However, from what I heard crime is on the increase but if you are used to living in Kenya, St Lucia will be heaven in comparison!

Just be careful, take sensible precautions and you should be fine.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

I'm sure it's nothing like the situation in Kenya. Just trying to do as much research now before I come out to visit. Thanks for the info and I'm sure I'll keep on pestering you guys with questions over the coming weeks!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

A_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really nice

Originally Posted by 747
I'm sure it's nothing like the situation in Kenya. Just trying to do as much research now before I come out to visit. Thanks for the info and I'm sure I'll keep on pestering you guys with questions over the coming weeks!
Well you would be wise to examine the reality of being out here. The problem is that a lot of people try to just bury the situation. Here's a link to a local news source:

http://www.stlucianewsonline.com/?p=1032

"– Prime Minister Stephenson King says the imposition of a curfew and obtaining external assistance from friendly governments are options his government will have to consider should the crime situation get worse in St Lucia.

“I am now even now contemplating that if our efforts and that of the police do not bring about a reduction, we shall see external assistance whether from the British, the Americans, the Canadians or the Israelis to assist us in dealing with this situation,”

King said in a radio broadcast.."

I personally see this as the single biggest obstacle the government has to overcome down here before we are tarred with the same brush as more violent islands around this region. Things are not that bad yet but they are spiralling out of control. As somebody investing in this part of the world I should perhaps be singing praises but to be honest I think the best way to get this siutation solved is to first and foremost admit the problem exists. A lot of effort goes into shileding tourists and they are in my opinion well protected but those of us who live here year round need to take ridiculous steps to prevent crime, violent or otherwise.

Would I choose anywhere else in the Caribbean to live? No way! I love this island.

P.S. BTW I have also lived in Kenya and now live here. I have experienced both. In fact I was in the capital Nairobi during the violence after the last election.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by A_Zimbo

Would I choose anywhere else in the Caribbean to live? No way! I love this island.
St Lucia has a certain allure about it. The last time I was on the island I remember driving from the airport in Vieux fort to our home on the other side of the island in Rodney Bay and just being totally amazed by the depth of colour in the foliage. Ok that it is not hard to beat the depth of colour on a grim day in the UK, but the richness and depth of the colour was amazing. I remember saying to my cousin evertime I come here I get amazed yet again. Just so much greenery. Even when coming in from Trinidad, Barbados, or Tobago, the one thing you will notice is the diverse landscape and High Definition colour of St Lucia. I have driven high into some of the mountain areas and the view from up there is breathtaking !!!

There is a new development in Cap Estate, right at the northern tip of the island, Mount Du cap if my memory serves me right, and the views from there are outstanding. Imagine you are high up, if you look in one direction you see the cool calm Caribbean sea, if you look in your other direction you see the rugged Atlantic ocean lashing the costline. You feel as though you are on the set of a romantic movie and the residents who are fortunate to live there will definately have their own piece of paradise.