Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Saint Lucia
Reload this Page >

Potential move to St Lucia with 2 small children

Potential move to St Lucia with 2 small children

Old Feb 11th 2015, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

mrsmarmite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential move to St Lucia with 2 small children

Hi!
We are spending a month in St Lucia shortly with a view to moving there for a longer period (husbands job).
I have lived and worked in the Caribbean before by myself (Jamaica and Cayman) but I don't know St Lucia, and I have never lived abroad with kids (2 small boys aged 1 and 2).
In order that I can get the best feel for the island in the initial month, please can anyone help with places to go like toddler groups/playgroups/kids meet ups. Also, is it easy to find babysitters/nannies?

Many thanks!
Old Feb 15th 2015, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of
Default Re: Potential move to St Lucia with 2 small children

Where in St. Lucia are you planning on finding a place to stay ?
Old Feb 15th 2015, 11:28 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsmarmite
Hi!
We are spending a month in St Lucia shortly with a view to moving there for a longer period (husbands job).
I have lived and worked in the Caribbean before by myself (Jamaica and Cayman) but I don't know St Lucia, and I have never lived abroad with kids (2 small boys aged 1 and 2).
In order that I can get the best feel for the island in the initial month, please can anyone help with places to go like toddler groups/playgroups/kids meet ups. Also, is it easy to find babysitters/nannies?

Many thanks!
Hi - welcome to St Lucia. We've been here for 8 weeks and love it so far, but our kids are 7 and 10 - I don't know of any toddler groups for the ages of your children, and in fact doubt there are any. Babysitters are available, not so sure about nannies. Let us know where you are looking to live and we can help. I also have a great realtor who can show you round and take you to schools / houses etc. Let me know if you want their details.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Lfrancis139 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am looking to move to St. Lucia too...I have a 4 year old daughter. I spent a total of 4 months there last year to see if it really was a good idea and also sorted out my citizenship (parents are St. Lucians). I am due to travel there again in June on a flexible ticket so I have no set return date. My partner already lives and works in St. Lucia. I have a potential job lined up for September as well. In regards to kids activities I haven't come across any groups etc but there's always the beach etc which kids love and we always meet friendly people and make friends wherever we go. In regards to baby sitters and nannies I'm not sure where you would go but you could put an ad out and interview people I guess. I myself work with children 0-5 years and plan to work in a school in St. Lucia..so if anything you could PM me when you arrive I'd be happy to babysit :P..hope you have a great time when you go. St.Lucia is a beautiful place and I'm sure you have a lovely time!
Old Apr 20th 2015, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Nc1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ededed
Hi - welcome to St Lucia. We've been here for 8 weeks and love it so far, but our kids are 7 and 10 - I don't know of any toddler groups for the ages of your children, and in fact doubt there are any. Babysitters are available, not so sure about nannies. Let us know where you are looking to live and we can help. I also have a great realtor who can show you round and take you to schools / houses etc. Let me know if you want their details.
Can you please PM me with the information of the realtor? My family and I are planning on being there from August for 2 years, and want to find a villa in the Rodney Bay area. Already have secured places for the kids at Bonne Terre Prep School. Thanks
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:06 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nc1982
Can you please PM me with the information of the realtor? My family and I are planning on being there from August for 2 years, and want to find a villa in the Rodney Bay area. Already have secured places for the kids at Bonne Terre Prep School. Thanks
Ok, just reply to this post as you need 3 posts for PMs to work.

My kids are at BonneTerre and we live in a villa. We can probably help you out.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Lfrancis139 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ededed
Ok, just reply to this post as you need 3 posts for PMs to work.

My kids are at BonneTerre and we live in a villa. We can probably help you out.
Hey could you pm me too. I'm going to St. Lucia in 6 weeks. My partner is currently there trying to sort everything out. I have a 4 year old daughter but I want to sort out school myself when I get there. My cousin goes to bonne terre and my daughter went there temporarily last year and it is a nice school but I'm also interested in dame pearlette which is a really good a public school. My partner is currently trying to look for an apartment... we don't have loads of money so probably not villa or anything in Rodney bay ..cap estate etc :P but yeah if you think you'd have some advice or you think the realator could help do message me..Thanks
Old Apr 21st 2015, 7:00 am
Just Joined

Nc1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick reply. Any information would be really appreciated. Is the school good? Wjat about private healthcare costs on the island?
Old Apr 21st 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Lfrancis139
Hey could you pm me too. I'm going to St. Lucia in 6 weeks. My partner is currently there trying to sort everything out. I have a 4 year old daughter but I want to sort out school myself when I get there. My cousin goes to bonne terre and my daughter went there temporarily last year and it is a nice school but I'm also interested in dame pearlette which is a really good a public school. My partner is currently trying to look for an apartment... we don't have loads of money so probably not villa or anything in Rodney bay ..cap estate etc :P but yeah if you think you'd have some advice or you think the realator could help do message me..Thanks
BonneTerre seems ok, my kids are 7 and 11 and happy there and seem to be learning. It's a Canadian curriculum - our issue is going to be senior school as the choices are limited. Housing varies depending on what you want, I've PM'd you the realtor's details who will help you out I'm sure.

Originally Posted by Nc1982
Thanks for the quick reply. Any information would be really appreciated. Is the school good? Wjat about private healthcare costs on the island?
See above, and PM also sent.

We have healthcare insurance so don't worry too much about the costs - but as an example a doctor's appointment is around EC$130 (£40 or so). If you've enjoyed free healthcare that's a lot - if you have insurance, it's nothing.

Good luck to you both, let us know if you need more information.