Leasing of business

Old Jun 5th 2013, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Leasing of business

I have the opportunity to lease a hotel business, does anyone know what I should do about the current staff. What normally happens here, do I have to carry on and just employ whom is there, does the current owner ( guy whom runs the hotel) have to make them redundant and then if they want they apply to work for me - any ideas?

Sarah
Old Jun 6th 2013, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing of business

Originally Posted by Sarah1234
I have the opportunity to lease a hotel business, does anyone know what I should do about the current staff. What normally happens here, do I have to carry on and just employ whom is there, does the current owner ( guy whom runs the hotel) have to make them redundant and then if they want they apply to work for me - any ideas?

Sarah
I don't think that it is for you to worry about.

The present owner/manager has the obligations towards staff who are already "onboard" in accordance with the St Lucia Labour Code.

Now if you are able to cherry-pick from the existing staff those who you would want to carry on, because they are good employees who are familiar with the work and surroundings involved and might even have a customer "following", then that could sweeten the deal for you as regards the terms of the lease, if it is in fact a sub-let from the current manager (guy who runs the place).

Ordinarily hotel managers let everybody go and pay redundancy and then the new operators may or may not hire from those who were just let go. The reason being that the new owners/operators would want to impose a probationary period to see how good the staff really are before making them permanent.