Info on Life In St Lucia

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Info on Life In St Lucia

Hello

I am planning on retiring to St Lucia, I am only 41 at the moment so am forward planning a bit/lot but do aim to do this before I am 60.

I have a few specific questions, I have looked at postings from others and got some info already but anyway-

1.We love horses and would need a property with a few suitable acres to keep 2 horses but would still like somewhere fairly close to ammenities and in a 'freindly, safe' area, is this possible to attain and at what price?

2.My husband also loves to Scuba Dive, is there an area of the island that would be more suited to this(remember when we are older-less driving is better!)and that we could still have an acreage?

3.Call me sad but is there a store that sells some UK imported goods(in canada we have some!)mainly foodstuff?

4.What is it really like retiring in St Lucia, obviously I have not done it beforeand would appreciate any info from others there?

I have holidayed a lot, Antiguax6times, Jamaicax4, other ones I forget!
We love the heat, horses, dogs, scuba diving, eating, lazing around eating!

Anyway, any info/advice would be appreciated, we know it is hard re-locating having done it before but have no real family to talk about or ties that will either be dead or we can bring with us

Thanks in advance for your input, Pam & Sandy
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

LottieLou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Info on Life In St Lucia

Hi Pammy,
welcome to the boards. I'll try and see if I can give you answers to some of your questions and i'm sure other people on here will help out as well.

2. Most of the diving is around the Soufriere area (located mid-way on the west coast). There are two dive-ops there - Scuba St Lucia, who are based at the Anse Chastanet resort and i can personally recommend them as I do dive with them (although I haven't done any diving for a few months now). The road going up to the resort is a narrow track road, very twisty and loads of potholes.
The other dive-op is based at the Hummingbird Resort, which is just at the bottom of the hill that leads up to Anse Chastanet. They are right on the beach, very easy access.

There are other dive ops around the Castries/Rodney Bay area, and there area few dive sites in that area - most of them are in the Soufriere area, so you would have a 30-40 minute boat ride down to the site.

3. In a word no. there are no special store that imports UK brands. Although the main supermarket (Super J's) does carry Waitrose products, I've also seen, quite recently that they've been stocking Branston Pickle and Heinz Salad Cream. Xmas puds are in the shops as well, but they are just soo expensive!!

HTH. If you get any other questions between now and when you decide the time is right to actually make the move, feel free to ask away.

Lottie )

p.s. checkout my blog link in my signature - I've posted a number of things about life out here, that you might find of interest/answer some of your questions.